PDA

View Full Version : new to LW no bashing

djtonio
12-02-2003, 08:54 PM
hello all how is everyone. as you can tell i am new to light wave. i am a college student trying to figure out what to do in life. Then i saw lightwave. i was instantly interested. i was at a show in chicago ( forgot what it was called) and saw a guy creating a video game character and i have always been interested in that. i just have a few questions about LW.

1. what else can you do with LW?
2. how many career feilds use this program?
3. is it hard to learn?

as i said i am in college not sure what i want to do yet. im thinking on take multimedia arts class's but im not sure if thats the right major for this kind of work. please if you professionals could give me a few pointers on this it would be most helpful. hope to get to know some of u soon take care.

dj tonio

djtonio
12-02-2003, 10:42 PM
with all the gret work i have seen....no one can give me a little help?

Melvil
12-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Hiya! Welcome. =)

I'll answer your questions as best I can, though I'm hardly a professional.

1. Well, the Lightwave website sums it up pretty well:

"Off the shelf, LightWave 3DŽ is the most complete and flexible software solution for 3D graphics and animation."

I'd really suggest following this link (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/index.html) to get a complete description of what Lightwave is.

2. Well, not sure exactly how to answer that one. This link (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/projects_list.html) may give you some idea of what kind of things it is used for. As you can see everything from Feature Films, Music Videos, and TV Commercials to Video Games, magazines and other advertising uses LW. It can be used for architextural previsualization, website design/graphics, and many more.

3. Programs such as Lightwave are very complex and will not be a breeze to learn. It will take commitment and a lot of time. A lot of us use Lightwave as a hobby because we enjoy it, and I think that's esential.

Well, that's the best I can do for now, I hope it helps you some. :)

-Dave

djtonio
12-02-2003, 11:12 PM
dave thank you so much for your reply that does help me out alot. at my college they only teach maya for job perpose. someoen once told me that lightwave was used to make the movie shrek, not sure if this is true or not but thats what got me interested the most, then i was reading some of the posts on this sight and yes it seems like most of you are using this for personal enjoyment, other say that maya is harder but big in the job world, again not sure if this is true either but from what i have read im starting to beleive it. if you have any feed back to this it would be great but no rush. thanks again dave take care

antonio

gjjackson
12-03-2003, 07:39 AM
In Shrek they used Maya, with a lot of proprietary code written for it to make it look the way they did. I sometimes think when places use software like Maya they do so because it Does Cost more and maybe they think that you get what you pay for, hence, more cost, better app. In this field that doesn't seem to hold true. Character rigging is a bit more difficult with LW, maybe than Maya-haven't used it for that, but there's 3rd party like MotionBuilder which makes up for it a lot. Even Maya teams use MB for character animations.

Proj
12-03-2003, 08:29 AM
hi djtonio
To answer one of your questions..
In my experience Lightwave is very easy to learn, has a fast workflow and produces great results.
I had been studying Max for two years before giving Lightwave a go and im impressed with how easy it is to learn and how fast you can produce work from concepts. I suspect thats two of the reasons so many studios use it and its a bargain.
I would recommend downloading the DE version if you havent already to give it a go, aswell as the free video tutorials offered by 3d Buzz and Splinegod.(thank you gentlemen)
Also for good basic manual try Visual Quickstart. I found it indispensible for getting you on your way with new software.
Hope that helps..

Melvil
12-03-2003, 10:01 AM
Oh yes, and I would point out that I think the reason why Lightwave has such a large hobbyist userbase is that is is such a great value out of the box, and, as the Lightwave site says, the most complete and flexible of it's kind.

This doesen't mean that it's not good enough to be uses in professional productions and such, just that it's an incredible deal. :D

-Dave

austin_kyo
12-04-2003, 01:30 AM
Lightwave is a monster, it do things much more faster then others 3d packages that i has been used before. It is very user friendly, you can set your own working enviroment like you can set your own shortcut key, customize your own tools bar and the configuration as well.
Lightwave have an amazine rendering engine which is able render faster then other 3d packages rendering engine,as well as the quality.And it modelling tools is the prefect stuff that i ever seen which allow you to work much much faster.
Here is my advice, get a demo version and start with the tutorials,and you will know why i call lightwave "Monster":D

djtonio
12-04-2003, 02:03 PM
thanks for all the great replies. i do have the demo and im going to start the tutorials. the only problem is the demo does not let you save it says something like demo only alowes you to save 200 points.

i also have another question do you have to be a great hand drawer in order to move up in this field?

Melvil
12-04-2003, 03:00 PM
i also have another question do you have to be a great hand drawer in order to move up in this field?

That's an easy one. Absolutely NOT! Take a look at one of my hand drawn pictures and you'll know why I say this. ;) Seriously, my 8 year old sister can draw better than I can(but can she spline model?). ;)

-Dave

danilo
12-05-2003, 05:56 AM

No,but it helps a LOT!!!!!!!
danilo

New2Lw
12-09-2003, 03:49 PM
If you can concept your own characters and other art then you'll be a step ahead of most people.

On artbyfeng.com , I think Feng can concept a character in less than a half an hour. If your a good pencil artist it takes a lot less time to concept stuff than it does to model it.

If you can't draw, you either have to have a good imagination and model your own stuff without reference, which can be hard for newbies(or anybody for that matter), and I can't imagine myself not using any reference for anything. Or find something on the internet that's close to what you had in mind, which could take forever, depending on what your looking for. Ooor you could have someone concept your descriptions, which costs money.

Every film and game studio in the world does concept art first. A lot of film studios to sculptures after that. Annnyway.

later,
Eric

dablan
12-10-2003, 11:42 PM
LightWave is a great choice!

To see what it can do and why so many people love it -
check this:

Project List (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/projects_list.html)

and

Gallery (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/lw-gallery/index.php?cat=2)

Keep on wavin'

SplineGod
12-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by djtonio
hello all how is everyone. as you can tell i am new to light wave. i am a college student trying to figure out what to do in life. Then i saw lightwave. i was instantly interested. i was at a show in chicago ( forgot what it was called) and saw a guy creating a video game character and i have always been interested in that. i just have a few questions about LW.

1. what else can you do with LW?
2. how many career feilds use this program?
3. is it hard to learn?

as i said i am in college not sure what i want to do yet. im thinking on take multimedia arts class's but im not sure if thats the right major for this kind of work. please if you professionals could give me a few pointers on this it would be most helpful. hope to get to know some of u soon take care.

dj tonio

Hi dj
From my own experience, Ive used LW since its inception first doing TV commericals, then video game, TV shows and Film projects. Its a great all around 3D program and quite nice for a lot of tasks. I pretty much do everything with it because its pretty easy to learn. A lot of LW users tend to be pretty well rounded because of its ease of use. My particular emphasis is on characters.
Entertainment makes up roughly 20% of the 3D pie.
The rest are things like print, product visualization, architectural visualization, Medical, etc etc.
In the entertainment field 6 out of 10 jobs are character related and about 4 are visual fx related.

I have about 4 hrs or so of video tutorials on my site that show a variety of things you can do with LW.

Rich
12-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Since you are a student, if you decide to purchase Lightwave then you should check out this site www.journeyed.com (http://www.journeyed.com) They have awsome deals on most popular brands of 3d software and you can get Lightwave for $395.

jbavar
12-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Hi, I am a professional and I have used lightwave at least since version 4. I have worked in hollywood for several years. I have worked on projects such as Babylon 5 and with directors as big as James Cameron. From my perspective lightwave has one of the best rendering engines and lighting models on the market. no one will argue with that. however, in the past there have been some shortcomings that have driven me and other animators to the brink. lightwaves strongest assets are that it is one of the easier 3d packages to learn and there is a great deal of support. In this (the visual effects) industry there are 4 main players. Maya, 3D studio max, Lightwave. and Soft image. Maya is considered the darling of the industry. mainly because its so versitale. however, it too is not perfet. It's a complex program and not easy to learn. Most users focus on mastering only a few aspect of the program. it is used widely in the movie industry. Because of its complexity, however, it does not lend itself very well to cost effective tv production work. however there are tons of resources out there to anyone who wants to learn it. Maya's strongest asset is its character animation abilities. 3D studio max is also a very cabable program. It is mostly used in the game industry. however, I have seen many tv productions that utilize it. I am reluctant to speak about max as i don't really use it. but I have seen some stunning work done with it. Soft Image is also cary over from the movie industy, however, it has been over shadowed by maya. Soft is also used widely in the movie industry but not as much a Maya. From my perspective, the playing field is quite level and if you have an esthetic eye then it doesn't matter which program you use. For the most part you will be able to find work. It wouldn't hurt to learn 2 of the 4 programs though. just remember, software keeps getting smarter and computers keep going faster. hope this helps.
jb