PDA

View Full Version : converting a HV into geometry

vonpietro
03-19-2015, 11:22 PM
Can this be done? take a hypervoxel - and convert it into geometry?

saw a thing on big hero 6 - they explained that they explored 3d fractal geometry for the worm hole space- however render times were not good and they were approaching their get this 90 gigabyte workstation limit - geeze, is that in ram or swap space ( i think he was referring to drive space)
they didn't specify.
still - their solution was turning the voxal data into geometry for very cheap (disk space) alternative.

This was all for the end shot where they are in "the worm hole"
very interesting seeing the Mandelbrot formation in 3d moving about.

still - it would be neat to freeze hypervoxals into geometry - maybe add it to the wish list.
It would render way faster that was their result.

=)
THis was at the gnomon school - they had a panel of big six hero supervisors there.

prometheus
03-20-2015, 04:26 AM
Can this be done? take a hypervoxel - and convert it into geometry?

saw a thing on big hero 6 - they explained that they explored 3d fractal geometry for the worm hole space- however render times were not good and they were approaching their get this 90 gigabyte workstation limit - geeze, is that in ram or swap space ( i think he was referring to drive space)
they didn't specify.
still - their solution was turning the voxal data into geometry for very cheap (disk space) alternative.

This was all for the end shot where they are in "the worm hole"
very interesting seeing the Mandelbrot formation in 3d moving about.

still - it would be neat to freeze hypervoxals into geometry - maybe add it to the wish list.
It would render way faster that was their result.

=)
THis was at the gnomon school - they had a panel of big six hero supervisors there.

Itīs not possible to convert voxels to geometry as far as I know...volumedic might be able to convert some of itīs volume data to mesh, so that might be closest thing to converting volumetrics to geometry, but itīs all out of range for hypervoxels.

I rather see the opposite turning geometric objects to volumetrics, like modo can do and houdini cloudfx tools, but that is for just acheiving more realism, not doing things faster as you want it.

Michael

dulo
03-20-2015, 04:39 AM
I have done something like that, but its quite complicated. First it depends on which kind of HV you are using ( volume, surface or sprite )
For volume you can bake your volume into a quicktime or any codec which supports alpha. I imported that sequence into houdini cops and from cops I created a volume with a cop sample vop sop. And for this Volume I created a isooffset node which gave me a surface which could be exported into an obj ..
For the voxel in surface Mode you would have to ask newtek to enable lightwave to write those triangles, which live in your memory, to disk ..

prometheus
03-20-2015, 05:02 AM
I have done something like that, but its quite complicated. First it depends on which kind of HV you are using ( volume, surface or sprite )
For volume you can bake your volume into a quicktime or any codec which supports alpha. I imported that sequence into houdini cops and from cops I created a volume with a cop sample vop sop. And for this Volume I created a isooffset node which gave me a surface which could be exported into an obj ..
For the voxel in surface Mode you would have to ask newtek to enable lightwave to write those triangles, which live in your memory, to disk ..

Your cheating...using houdini, thatīs like kobayashi maru:D
But whatever rocks the boat:)

creacon
03-20-2015, 05:10 AM
HV renders an Isosurface that is generated (or better approximated) on-the-fly, probably using a raymarching method. There are no triangles involved. ie they don't "live" in memory.

creacon

dulo
03-20-2015, 05:39 AM
From the artefacts of HV surface I would guess that there are triangles involved in the process. Of course those triangles are generated on the isosurface .. but I dont know the sourcecode .. so I cant be sure ..

creacon
03-20-2015, 08:33 AM
What artefacts? You can read how the volumetric rendering works in the sdk. Someone could of course precalculate a mesh and render that using the volumetric engine but that would just be silly.

creacon

dulo
03-20-2015, 08:54 AM
With animated voxel in surface mode we often get sudden jumps in the textures which look exactly like the resolution jumps of the old meta balls .. so I guessed they used the same code base for their surface .
Could you point me to were in the sdk I can find information about volumetric rendering ?

best martin

creacon
03-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Those jumps could be related to the hypertextures.
for the docs:

docs folder
index.html
classes
volumetric handler

creacon

vonpietro
03-20-2015, 02:30 PM
http://cdn.indiewire.com/dims4/INDIEWIRE/39a9e1c/2147483647/thumbnail/680x478/quality/75/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2F 33%2Fcc%2F3b02e12544b2bdfdcba958e8a432%2Fbh6-wormhole-1.jpg

so that background is all fractles - some voxal - some frozen voxel turning into geometry - neat trick

Aegis
03-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Ha! Funny you should be discussing that - I'm tinkering with something along those lines in LightWave atm (https://db.tt/5YKjKTPo)- it's a hack but it's kinda doing what I want it to (please excuse the modo toy tractor - I just used whatever I had to hand :))