PDA

View Full Version : Curves to Skelegons

robertn2k
03-19-2015, 03:44 PM
Hi Folks,

I found an old tutorial from William Vaughn where he shows you how to use curves to create skelegons.
Basically with the character mesh in the background he uses spline draw to create the series of curves
for the character. Once done you use convert skelegons to change the curve into skelegons. Cut and paste
into the character, save the mesh and export to Layout. In Layout convert the skelegons to bones. However,
some of the bones show up colored red vs. the traditional blue of the normal LW bone. Even after bone activation
the red colored bones don't function properly as they seem independent of the hierarchy. I know there are
other ways to create skelegons but this seemed like a simple and somewhat elegant way to do it and you
can save the curves for use in other characters or objects. Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated. I know this is
from older version of Lightwave so maybe the code has changed enough that it does not work anymore.

Sensei
03-19-2015, 03:57 PM
Attach scene with object to play with.

I tried technique, and worked fine in v11.6.1. All bones were bluish.

MonroePoteet
03-19-2015, 04:04 PM
I use the method you describe to create my rigging very regularly, and have never had the "red bone" problem. As Sensei says, probably posting the scene / models will be required. I'm using 11.6 as well. If you're using LW2015, might be new behavior.

mTp

robertn2k
03-19-2015, 09:44 PM
Sorry for leaving out details folks. Yes I'm on LW 2015.2 on an iMac. I don't have a copy of 11.6 to go back to. I paid closer attention to the skelegon conversion in layout and what should have been 26 bones wound up being 104 bones. I tried just making a simple curve in modeler using spline draw saved and sent to Layout. Same issue 3 bones in blue and 1 in red. I'll try and post a sample.

Sensei
03-19-2015, 09:59 PM
Try with 2 point poly chain, and convert it to skelegons.

robertn2k
03-20-2015, 12:18 AM
resulted in a single red bone. It's something in 2015 for sure. Think I need to report it as a bug. Maybe someone with 2015 can try and duplicate to confirm.

Thanks for the help.

Sekhar
03-20-2015, 07:43 AM
resulted in a single red bone. It's something in 2015 for sure. Think I need to report it as a bug. Maybe someone with 2015 can try and duplicate to confirm.

Thanks for the help.

You get the red bone if you don't delete the curve after converting to skelegons in modeler. Delete it before sending to layout, and you should be good. If you want to keep the curve, cut and paste it back in modeler, that seems to take care of it. Layout appears to be getting confused by the curve, so it might be a bug worth reporting, but it's really simple to work around it. I always delete the curves anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

robertn2k
03-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Sekhar,

Thanks for the help. I'll give that a try.