PDA

View Full Version : computer system

peter coley
03-19-2015, 03:31 PM
Can anybody tell me the best computer system for about 600-800 please

pauland
03-20-2015, 06:27 AM
Kinda depends what use you intend to make of it and how much storage capacity you might need. It would also depend on your own ability perhaps to system build.

It's a bit like asking someone what's the best second-hand car I can buy for X.

bubai
03-20-2015, 08:12 AM
Please suggest a good computer in the range of $2000.
I'm totally confused with the lots of alternative. Intially I'll go with i7 with 6 core(but not sure which one to get),970 GTX and 32GB RAM. With all these three please suggest a good comp. I do mainly character animation. So a good render power is necessary.

paulk
03-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Please suggest a good computer in the range of $2000.
I'm totally confused with the lots of alternative. Intially I'll go with i7 with 6 core(but not sure which one to get),970 GTX and 32GB RAM. With all these three please suggest a good comp. I do mainly character animation. So a good render power is necessary.

Hi, Bubai.

I'm assuming you're looking to build your own.

I suggest checking reviews at www.anandtech.com and www.tomshardware.com. Read as much as you can about your prospective hardware. Take the time to educate yourself.

For the CPU, each slight uptick in clock speed is usually a big price jump. Is it that much faster? Probably not.

32 gig of ram is good, but make sure the ram is compatible with the motherboard you choose (which you haven't mentioned yet). Mobo manufacturers' websites should have a compatible memory chart.

Don't forget lots of hard drive space.

You'll probably need a bigger power supply for a 6-core i7.

I don't know what you can salvage from your current system. For me, it was just the monitor and printer.

Don't forget software, if you're not moving over current licenses.

Remember, there is NO "Perfect" system. Every system requires some kind of compromise. Just like Life.

Also, ignore all articles about the incredible tech coming 2 quarters from now. They're time wasters.

Good Luck.

bubai
03-20-2015, 08:40 PM
Thanks paulk. I'll go through those websites. But as I said I got confused when I see lots of option. Which processor,which motherboard, which RAM(there is different kind of RAM available with different speed),power supply everything. It's a jungle of systems :)
I'm from a middle class family, do freelance, so I'll always like to go low as much possible but with a good performance, mainly because of the rendering.

Shabazzy
03-21-2015, 03:49 PM
Bubai,

I'd say, if you're serious about animation and CG, you really shouldn't want to have to deal with the technical issues with computer hardware if you can help it.

As a freelance animator myself, I learned (the hard way) that wasting time with building, tweaking, sourcing, researching components just to save a few pounds is really a false economy. There are many advantages to buying a prebuilt system from a reputable company who offer after-sales service and warranties. Letting them fix the problems with the hardware issues and/or loaning you an interim machine means you can focus your time on what it is you love doing rather than wasting it on things that you're not going to make a career out of.

The time you spend unnecessarily on computer hardware issues is money lost unnecessarily from not working on animations. And all to save only a few bucks. It's really not worth it.

paulk
03-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Hi, Bubai.

It's not so hard if you start with a 6-core i7. There's only 2 versions on www.newegg.com -- 5820K at 3.3GHz for $389.99 and 5930K at 3.5GHz for $569.99. The 5930K is .2GHz faster and supports 40 PCI Express lanes. The 5820k supports 28 PCI Express lanes, but will do TurboBoost to 3.6GHz. At $180.00 difference, you make the call.

FWIW, the 8-core i7 5960x at 3.0GHz goes for $1,049.00. That's half your budget and all you've got is a pretty blue box sitting on your desk. I'm just sayin . . .

Mobos are Haswell-E LGA 2011-v3 format with X99 chipset, determined by the CPU. They're going for $199.99 to $619.99 with 8 memory slots, and apparently for some boards PCI Express configuration differs if you put in a 5820K or a 5930K CPU.

RAM is all DDR4 and frequency above 2133 is for overclocking your CPU. Your call.

Depending on how old your current hard drive(s) is(are), even if they're still supported, you may want to consider new ones.

GTX 970 video cards with 4 gig of memory go for $329.99 to $389.99. Some take up 2 slots.

Now that I've spent most of your money, take a deep breath and start your research. Take your time. Emjoy the ride.

bubai
03-21-2015, 07:45 PM
Thanks paulk

bubai
03-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Hi all, I just make a custom build through http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TKn7Hx
I can get my monitor,keyboard,speaker and mouse from my current system :)
How it'll be for my need. Please suggest.

paulk
03-22-2015, 08:37 AM
Hi all, I just make a custom build through http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TKn7Hx
I can get my monitor,keyboard,speaker and mouse from my current system :)
How it'll be for my need. Please suggest.

Hi, Bubai.

There's a problem.

NewEgg has a shipping option to calculate costs according to country. The MSI X99S Gaming 7 motherboard is not available for shipment to India. There are other MSI X99 mobos that are.

I suggest going to www.newegg.com, changing the Shipping Flag next to the Log In Or Register tab to India, and then build your list to take to pcpartpicker.com.

bubai
04-14-2015, 09:49 AM
Ok, I've bought my computer. It's over my budget though. If I convert Indian currency to USD then it's $2700. In India it's expensive :(

Thanks to all :)

pauland
04-14-2015, 10:13 AM
What did you decide to buy?

bubai
04-14-2015, 10:17 AM
5930K with 980GTX card and 16GB DDR4(have to compromise it) plus all other I've mentioned earlier.
Need to take a UPS too.

pauland
04-14-2015, 10:22 AM
It should be a considerable boost - you can always add more RAM later if need be.

bubai
04-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Yes, that's right.