https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3067&Itemid=66

Public beta coming next month.

hrgiger
03-19-2015, 06:12 AM
It sure does.

roadster
03-19-2015, 08:36 PM
This is quite interesting.

But I'm confused what the main goal of these plugins are.

1. Is it mainly for the Houdini procedural modeling of game assets?

or

2. Is it for Houdini VFX to the game engine? For games?

or

3. Is it for "realtime" rendering of Houdini scenes? { and using the unreal VFX ?}

4 Would anyone consider this a replacement for basic Houdini rendering? Many are disappointed that Houdini Indie wont support
Octane, for example.

thanks

Surrealist.
03-20-2015, 06:12 AM
From what I have read and understand so far, it seems you create the assets in the full version of Houdini.

Similar to how it would work in the Maya plugin:

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2738&Itemid=381

But you are exposing certain adjustable procedural parameters. And then they are cooked by Houdini and sent back to the engine. The engine is also used to setting up render nodes on a farm to render or simulate. So it is not a place to create assets. Just expose certain adjustments in the host app. This is also similar to the Substance Designer plugins. Kind of like sending over a procedural texture that comes with input parameters to adjust. But the creation of the procedural is done in Substance Designer not in Modo or Maya etc.

In the case of Unreal I have no idea about the extent of the things you can send over. They have not been specific but it seems to indicate mostly objects and set type stuff. There are a lot of node-based procedural stuff you can do with Modeling in Houdini. I would imagine there may be a way to make this interactive and be triggered by a Blueprint in game as well. Just a guess.

roadster
03-20-2015, 11:09 AM
Thanks alot for the explanation. It's all still a bit above my head .
I guess well have to wait and see. But I don't think you can get the beta just
running apprentice. Have to have the Indie license.

Surrealist.
03-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Well just tell me the parts that you did not understand and I'll be happy to point you to some materials maybe or go into more details. Don't like leaving anyone confused. :)

probiner
03-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Following this closely :)