PDA

View Full Version : IS LW loosing position as being used in big hollywood movies to apps like Maya?

Ade
12-02-2003, 07:44 PM
Just wondering these days what the perceived view is with LW used in todays blockbuster movies?
I know LW is used heaps in TV but for big movies like LOTR, Episode 2 etc can it be done or why isnt it used if it isnt?

What major cg companies use LW?
I feel this is an advertising standpoint which I know nothing of yet companies liek Maya push you to know.

Melvil
12-02-2003, 10:33 PM
Welll, first of all I can tell you that LW was used some in Episode II. The CG R2 in the droid factory was pure LW, I know. Not sure what else was done with it.

I've heard that most effects companies will allow their artists to use whatever software they want that will get the job done, usually. So I'd bet it's used more commonly than you think.

I'm sure someone else can give you a much better answer than that though.

-Dave

WizCraker
12-02-2003, 11:37 PM
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/projects_list.html

Check that link out as it shows you projects that have Lightwave used on them.

A short list

ESC Entertainment
Digital Domain
Area 51
Luminetik
Microsoft

Ade
12-03-2003, 12:22 AM
Robocop 2 was purely done with LW and an Amiga..yay..Those were the days!

w_will
12-03-2003, 05:24 AM
Now this may sound like a stupid question, but why do you care? If your looking for a good 3D app with great users who share ideas and a super renderer then give lightwave a shot. The 3D world is not like the IT world... you can't just list an application and expect to get a job. That being said not everyone thinks the same way. If your intrested in another app give it a try too. There a learning or personal editions of almost all of the major packages. 3D packages are tools. If one veres another makes your artwork flow from your brain to the screen better than another then you have probably found your application. If your work shows real artistic style and skill somebody will notice your demo reel. If your just looking for work... buy a VT3 and a good camera and make wedding videos or ads. Along the way you will find that Lightwave when combined with other tools works damn well for video. It must be OK for film too or the guy who did Jimmy Neutron and other films would not have used it. Sorry for the rant, but I have not had any coffee yet, and questions like this make me wonder if your just posting flame bait...

bill0287
12-03-2003, 01:46 PM
I may be way off base, but I don't think he's posting flame bait. It's a legitimate question (to a degree).

Given there are only so many hours in the day, and studios (like most businesses) probably want you to hit the ground running, it might be helpful when looking for a job to already know the preferred applications. It simply ups your market value a bit.

If I knew 90% of the studio work was done in Maya or SI or LW, and that's the skills the studios are hiring, then if I was starting out, I think it would be better to learn those apps. It takes time to master a 3D program just like any other high end application, so it's again a matter of hours in the day.

Of course, with all that speculation above, talent will shine through in the end. If you create a masterful reel using TrueSpace, or something, someone will notice (I hope).

I think that guy who did the Alien Song in Animation Master is now working at Pixar (based in part on that short)...so there you go.

-EsHrA-
12-03-2003, 01:58 PM
Hey,

I've just seen 'Alien Hunter' with James Spader, kinda ok but it has some wonderfull LW fx.
If you can get hold of the dvd with the extras you will even see Lightwave being used. cool :)

c ya..

Cheers,

-EsH-

ps. so... its maybe not a blockbuster but once again heavy use
of LW in a feature film.

Titus
12-03-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Melvil
Welll, first of all I can tell you that LW was used some in Episode II. The CG R2 in the droid factory was pure LW, I know. Not sure what else was done with it.

As far as I know this was done with Electric Image by the ILM's Mac Rebel Unit, but finally, who cares about the software?

No me, that's sure.

WizCraker
12-03-2003, 09:07 PM
R2 was lightwave all the way, there is a statement in a magazine as well with a couple online sites from the Artist that did it.

austin_kyo
12-04-2003, 01:13 AM
haha, i do belive that this is always to be the hottest topic for new cg baby.well, i think if you post this question to maya forum, you will get diffrence answer from those maya guys.
any way, what hollywood used for they great movies is not important, if you want to compare how good a 3d packages is base on how many hollywood great movies is done in that particular 3d packages, i think this is not fair.The point is, can lightwave do what others 3d packages has done in the movies??:D

Ade
12-06-2003, 06:52 AM
One thing I must say is episode 1+2 sucked hard, no denying it.

retinajoy
12-06-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Ade
One thing I must say is episode 1+2 sucked hard, no denying it.

Episode 1 was very dissappointing and didn't feel like Star Wars. I enjoyed Episode 2 which was good fun and it did feel like I was watching a Star Wars movie, but the romance sections were handled very badly.

Just to confirm that R2 was done in Lightwave. Been mentioned by the artists on various forums inc the yahoogroups LW3D forum, plus I think in Cinefx magazine. Electric Image had been used in episode 1, but mainly for animatics.

Maya has been in the spotlight in the movies because of its good character animation tools and it's excellent (according to some) MEL script language. As far as I know, Mayas renderer is hardly ever used for output to film. However, LW8 seems to have demonstratedly addressed major improvements in Character animation and allegedly improved its script sdk bla bla. We will only know for sure when it is released this month. Christmas Eve???

Fistandantilus
12-06-2003, 03:49 PM
This may not be the latest news:http://www.cgnetworks.com/story.php?story_id=1576

It's interesting to see just how much software companies will shout out whenever their tools are used in award-nominated or wining productions. This time, the guys at NewTek are ecstatic to announce that every production that was nominated for the Outstanding Special Visual Effects for a Series award at the 55th Emmy Awards, used LightWave 3D. On top of that, two of the five nominees for Outstanding Special Visual Effects for a miniseries, also used LightWave 3D.

Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Series (all LightWave)

Buffy The Vampire Slayer • Chosen • UPN • Mutant Enemy, Kuzui, Sandollar in association with 20th Century Fox Television
Enterprise • Dead Stop • UPN • Paramount Pictures
Enterprise • The Crossing • UPN • Paramount Pictures
Enterprise • The Expanse • UPN • Paramount Pictures
Firefly • Serenity • FOX • Mutant Enemy, Inc. in association with 20th Century Fox Television

2 of the 5 below were done with Lightwave.I know Dune was but not sure about the other.

Building The Great Pyramid • Discovery Channel • BBC/Discovery Channel/NDR co-production and in association with TBS
Frank Herbert’s Children Of Dune • Night 1 • Sci Fi • New Amsterdam Entertainment, Inc. in association with Blixa Film Produktion and Co. KG and Touchstone Television Productions, LLC
The Lost World • Part 2 • A&E • An A&E/BBC co-production in association with RTL Television
Point Of Origin • HBO • New Redemption Pictures in association with HBO Films
Steven Spielberg Presents Taken • Episode 2 - Jacob And Jesse • Sci Fi • Dreamworks

Considering the top 5 were don with lightwave and were nominated for an emmy and 2 of the 5 nominated for Outstanding Special Effects was done with Lightwave I don't see how you could even ask that question.
Lightwave is quite capable of producing quality exactly the same as any of the other more expensive packages out there.

meshmaster
12-08-2003, 02:44 PM
Battle Star Galactica was done with LW! :) Can't wait to watch it in 5 hours!

Ade
12-08-2003, 07:11 PM
Just watched Babylong 5 the movie Gathering... LOL the effects look good for today but man the landscapes look like something ud see on a Sega saturn. cause babylon 5 story was soo good u dont really care. :)

AngelDream
12-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Pixar uses the Pixar Renderman renderer, and it was used in almost every application of Maya, besides Pixar movies: episode ii and so. i think it's only used 'cause of its animation sys, but LW 8 will improve animatics. Oh, R2D2 is All Lightwave

Ade
12-09-2003, 07:23 PM
I dont think Renderman does raytracing, or maybe that was a while ago?

meshmaster
12-10-2003, 10:44 AM
get bmrt... it's been put under but is still available on a few websites...http://www.cirkus.fr.st/CG/cg.html