PDA

View Full Version : modified -0db indictor skins for VT-Edit/Audio Mixer

djlithium
12-02-2003, 07:38 PM
hi there.

After some basic experimentation, and some photoshopping, I have come up with a set of skins that basically will give you a proper (ie accurate) location for -0db on Vt3 VT-edit and the Audio Mixer for sliders and the meters.

Here are some examples... Note the location of where the sliders would need to be on the notches to produce a -0db signal for ins and outs.

djlithium
12-02-2003, 07:48 PM
Here is an example of the VT-Edit volume control area.

I also colored dot a knob number in the "knobs" folder (I think 97 or 98) when it hits the "Unity" mark so you know you are on it.

These were produced using a 1k tone normalized in Wavelab to -0db. The raw wave was played back from wavelab, internally to VT-Edit as a computer source to find out the computer source level and position for the sliders. Turns out NewTek got this one right.
What is goofy is the inputs and outputs.

You will see this looking for at the lines on the in and out and their pointing back down to the mixer slider locations for the master in and out.

I basically played the file in wavelab out the secondary sound card and looped the signal back into the audio input of the toaster, making sure the audio mixer levels for the output card were maxed and the record in on the toaster mixer in windows was also maxed. The result is what you see here. To get the level up to
-0db to match on the computer generated sources, I had to push the main input audio slider to max. for audio out, same deal, it had to go up as well, but not as much. See the marks.

For those of us looking for more "visibility" on our skins for this kind of stuff, I hope these helped out. You can do the same to your own, or email me and I can send you a pack of files and psd's so you can tweak them.

One of the things I plan on doing next is getting the pan knobs to change color temperature left to right from say blue to red (blue left, red right) and become green when at center position. Thats a lot of "coloring" I have to do.

Comments and feed back appreciated. :)

PIZAZZ
12-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Great Job Lithium. If you don't mind emailing me the files that would be awesome.

I almost have finished that skin package together we have talked about in the past.

It is looking awesome. I will send you some pics soon. Might even post some here.

djlithium
12-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Here is a shot of my desktop. Note the little green dot on the volume control for VT-Edit.
Warning... big image :)

djlithium
12-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by PIZAZZ
Great Job Lithium. If you don't mind emailing me the files that would be awesome.

I almost have finished that skin package together we have talked about in the past.

It is looking awesome. I will send you some pics soon. Might even post some here.

Yeah, fire away. I would like to see how that turned out.

I still have to clean this one up a bit here. Make it a bit more "snazzy" looking but as I am not to keen on TS right now I don't want to goof around much with the masks. I could go really wild however if I had someone to put that together.

firing off the PSD for the audio mixer now to your email.

Cheers.

EanJay
12-03-2003, 06:21 AM
Great work on this, just what is required to polish the sadly lacking audio features of VT3. Look forward to the end result.

EanJay

djlithium
12-03-2003, 05:11 PM
here is the audio mixer skins stuff.

Enjoy. :)

lipera
12-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the zip file. They appear to be photoshop files. How do you incorporate them into vt3. Thanks. Bill LiPera

djlithium
12-03-2003, 08:53 PM
save them out as PNG files to the default skin directory using the same name overwritting the original PNG's there. Back them up first.

IF you reload your T3 software the new skin should come up. If not, close down, then find the NewTek folder in the skins folder for that module and delete it. The VT3 will recreate anything it needs when it starts up next.

Cheers.

lipera
12-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Which pgn files shoul I use?

djlithium
12-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Each PSD in that zip file is named for its PNG counterpart. Simply save it out to the default/nobob/ portion of the audio skins directory using the same name for each file, but with the PNG extension.

Save them directly from photoshop to make it a smooth operation.

bradl
12-06-2003, 05:26 PM
Worked great. Thanks DJ!!!!

bradl
12-08-2003, 09:39 PM
DJ,

Just today I did a print to tape of a project I have working on for several days and the first since I installed your skins. I have bars-n-tone at head and could set VT-Edit to 0vu at the Audio board (by maxing the pot at the lower right, or pushing fader all the way up) but that did not give me anywhere near the Ovu mark on the main out of your skin. Any idea what's wrong?

Unfortuntely, I am still in the middle of this project and can't really experiment much till next week...

djlithium
12-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Hey man.
Well in my experience, internally in VT-Edit the software is not pushing out the volume that it is recording in.
In many cases I have had to go and render a project out then crank the volume on the final wave using the properties pannel to get proper volume. God knows what this does to the signal to noise ratio.

You may have to push the volume on VT-ED up to compensate. Either on the application itself or on the audio material internally before it is routed out through VT-Edit and then on to the mixer.

Also make sure that on your windows mixer (speaker on the taskbar) that all your lines are "pinned" for input and out put. Correctly, NewTek ties the volume controls for "Wave" and master to the output of the Audio mixer. However if you have the volume controls in the windows mixer it will directly effect the output of the master out on VT-3 even though you may have that mixers levels naild to the roof.

Please let me know how you make out.

eon5
08-04-2004, 01:25 PM
what about the vtedit waveform graphics ?

will be edited too ?

i need a mirrored graphics_layer like this!! :(

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/images/premiere7.GIF

ScorpioProd
08-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Well, we'd all love that, but that's something Newtek would need to do.

The current audio waveform generated by the VT is ONLY a mono sum of the L/R channels. That's why when you are only using one of the channels of the two for output, your waveforms are basically unreadable, even at the same audio output level.

This is why the audio waveform has never been of much use to me. What is the point of two channels if you can't actually SEE them separately. I don't know ANY other NLE that limits in this way.