PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious netfishing mail with microsoft outlook mail sender!

prometheus
03-17-2015, 10:28 AM
had this one before and reported as fishing scam...what do you think? it goes like this...

"Dear User,
Your email account will be blocked in response to a complaint received by the administration.
According to provision 10.3 of Terms and Conditions, Outlook may at any time, terminate its Services for your account and all your data will be lost.

Click here and Log in

You have to upgrade now to the newest Outlook Mail to avoid this termination process.
Once your account is upgraded, we will restore your account to its normal state.
Kindly note that you have to perform this upgrade as soon as possible to avoid loosing your account data.

Outlook Mail Team
Copyright © 2015 Mail! Inc
Outlook! Mail "

The senders header..
Sent: 17 mars 2015 11:04:43
To: [email protected]

I would suggest anyone else receiving this to absolutly do not click on any of it´s links, and fall for this suspicious mail.

jwiede
03-17-2015, 08:16 PM
Outlook Mail Team
Copyright © 2015 Mail! Inc
Outlook! Mail "

The senders header..
Sent: 17 mars 2015 11:04:43
To: [email protected]

1. Microsoft Outlook is copyright © Microsoft Corp. All Rights Reserved.
2. The product's name is "Microsoft® Office Outlook®" or "Microsoft® Outlook®" or perhaps even "Outlook®" (unlikely) but sure as heck not "Outlook! Mail", and them getting that wrong is a HUGE red flag.
3. Official Microsoft communications bear @Microsoft.com domain email addresses, certainly NOT @zozik-air.net domain email addresses.
4. Official Microsoft communications properly cite/attribute trademarks, registered trademarks, copyrights, and so forth. For example, "Microsoft® Outlook®" not "Microsoft Outlook".

None of the above represent an official Microsoft communication, they are simply my personal opinion on some obvious indications the email you received was a (unsafe) phishing email, and should be treated appropriately.

spherical
03-18-2015, 12:15 AM
Heh. We get those all the time, not just spoofing Microsoft, and most talking about exceeding our mailbox quota. Right in the bit bucket, as we run our own mail server. Quotas??, We don't need no Steeking QUOTAS!

As jwiede cites, the From: and To: and probably Return-to: headers have nothing to to with Microsoft; not to mention examining the entire headers content to see where it really came from and the path it took to get to you. Anyone not doing this sort of inspection these days, even a little bit, almost deserves to get hacked/scammed/infected.

gjjackson
03-18-2015, 04:54 AM
Most all of these emails I've seen on my server come from Australia. I've really begun to wonder what is going on in Australia.

50one
03-18-2015, 05:25 AM
All the Nigerain princes moved there lol.

Seriously, I'm surpised people fall for that or have even a slight of doubt whether it's legit or not:D

GandB
03-18-2015, 09:28 AM
Have you guys gotten any cold calls on the phone by MS Windows "Techs" that have noticed malware and viruses on your computer. They want you to perform a few thing son your computer, so they can "fix" it. I always ask them how they got this info; when I use a Macintosh? That's when they hang up. ;) One of the numbers was coming up on my phone as 1-000-000-0000.

50one
03-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Have you guys gotten any cold calls on the phone by MS Windows "Techs" that have noticed malware and viruses on your computer. They want you to perform a few thing son your computer, so they can "fix" it. I always ask them how they got this info; when I use a Macintosh? That's when they hang up. ;) One of the numbers was coming up on my phone as 1-000-000-0000.

My Gf in the past had this call - up until that point I thought that this type of scam was an urban legend...

gerry_g
03-18-2015, 09:48 AM
PayPal once sent me a notification that a sparkly blue satin ball gown I had just purchased had gone through my account successfully, to this day I find myself wondering what I would have looked like in it, email was top quality looked just like the real deal and of corse the obligatory link to log in and cancel

Oedo 808
03-18-2015, 10:31 AM
I've had crap from paypai I think it was, as above, looked fairly convincing, I can't remember but probably it was poor English that gave it away the most. I don't get many but a couple were quite some time apart, I'm surprised that an obviously fraudulent address wasn't blocked in that time. Though I've no idea how these things work.

prometheus
03-18-2015, 01:39 PM

I can´t be reached on standard phone, so I only get calls from those I know or those I have provided with a "special number" that I want to be able to call me, no weird phone calls..no salesmen etc, it´s great, and my special number can´t be tracked trough any register that is connected to me personally,gps at sometimes perhaps.

Michael

50one
03-19-2015, 02:38 AM
I can´t be reached on standard phone, so I only get calls from those I know or those I have provided with a "special number" that I want to be able to call me, no weird phone calls..no salesmen etc, it´s great, and my special number can´t be tracked trough any register that is connected to me personally,gps at sometimes perhaps.

Michael

I bet most people think you;re a drug dealer then?:D

shrox
03-19-2015, 03:06 AM
You can check the header for clues too.