PDA

View Full Version : TurbulenceFD LW question.

roadster
03-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Hi,

I'm demoing this plugin and have a couple questions please.

1. Is this the best forum to ask them in?

2. If I want to create , lets say, 10 torches, would I create 10 containers at the same time? Or would
you clone them somehow, or clone composite the final renders?

3. Is there a way to render the light coming off the fire, reflecting on other objects?

4. Can Octane render this plugin?

thanks for any help!

roadster
03-16-2015, 08:59 AM
5 I just realized most the demo renders I have seen look pretty static camera wise. Can I camera dolly past a fire?

finally:

6 Can one combine a bullet simulation with the fire container simulation? Or does it have
to be done - or perhaps is better done - in compositing?

thanks!

vipvip242
03-16-2015, 10:13 AM
For one question, i can answer:
no, Octane won't render TFD because TFD generates volumetric Voxels, iit is not compatible with Octane actually for the 2.xx cycle at least...

Every4thPixel
03-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Hi,

I'm demoing this plugin and have a couple questions please.

1. Is this the best forum to ask them in?

2. If I want to create , lets say, 10 torches, would I create 10 containers at the same time? Or would
you clone them somehow, or clone composite the final renders?

3. Is there a way to render the light coming off the fire, reflecting on other objects?

4. Can Octane render this plugin?

5 I just realized most the demo renders I have seen look pretty static camera wise. Can I camera dolly past a fire?

finally:

6 Can one combine a bullet simulation with the fire container simulation? Or does it have
to be done - or perhaps is better done - in compositing?

thanks for any help!

1. Yes
2. You can clone fluid cages and use the same cache files to make multiple instances of the fire. Make sure you don't accidentally overwrite the files ;)
3. The fire emits GI light so you objects will get lit by the fire however keep in mind that the smoke doesn't receive HDRI light coming from scene items like the texture environment plugin or illuminating geometry.
4. No Only the native renderer renders TFD sims
5. It's a fully 3D simulation so you can fly around it and even through it. If you are in the volume with the camera the render times go up by a lot...
6. You can. You can also emit from LW particles to generate dust and smoke when your bullet item explodes for example.

jwiede
03-16-2015, 12:35 PM
6. You can. You can also emit from LW particles to generate dust and smoke when your bullet item explodes for example.

You might want to clarify what you mean by this. The OP sounds like they want two-way simulation interaction Bullet::TFD. AFAICT that is not supported, unless you know some cheat?

prometheus
03-16-2015, 03:40 PM
You might want to clarify what you mean by this. The OP sounds like they want two-way simulation interaction Bullet::TFD. AFAICT that is not supported, unless you know some cheat?

Well..particles can generate the fluids, as well as bullet fracture pieces.
You can not push bullet pieces around with turbulenceFD fluid smoke, but you can push the fluids smoke around with bullet simulated pieces...to be clear on what it can and can not do, turbulenceFD can also not push lightwave particles around..that is so called particle advection, that is something only available in the cinema4d version as far as I know, it was said to arrive to lightwave..but I think he must have encounter some big obstacles on that feature for lightwave particles...particles to emitt fluids the other way around works as they should, so you can drive the particle system with lightwaves old dynamics wind to create a tornado with the particles ..and then use the particles to emitt fluids, unfortunatly ..the newer bullet system can not use any of itīs forces to push particles around, so there are some things not working fully with the old systems and the new systems.

For the op question about several torches..It might work with several fluid containers, but not sure if it will work smoothly, if you have a large enough container..you might be able to use object as fluid emitters and with some different surface textures you can get them to simulate differently...like this...

https://vimeo.com/35832026

roadster
03-17-2015, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the great replies guys!

1. Yes

cool.

2. You can clone fluid cages and use the same cache files to make multiple instances of the fire. Make sure you don't accidentally overwrite the files ;)

ok, sounds good.

[QUOTE=Every4thPixel;1425208]

3. The fire emits GI light so you objects will get lit by the fire however keep in mind that the smoke doesn't receive HDRI light coming from scene items like the texture environment plugin or illuminating geometry.

ok. will have to experiment with that.

4. No Only the native renderer renders TFD sims

darn.

5. It's a fully 3D simulation so you can fly around it and even through it. If you are in the volume with the camera the render times go up by a lot...

sounds good. Better than Houdini, eh?

cool

roadster
03-17-2015, 08:38 AM
Well..particles can generate the fluids, as well as bullet fracture pieces.
You can not push bullet pieces around with turbulenceFD fluid smoke, but you can push the fluids smoke around with bullet simulated pieces...to be clear on what it can and can not do, turbulenceFD can also not push lightwave particles around..that is so called particle advection, that is something only available in the cinema4d version as far as I know, it was said to arrive to lightwave..but I think he must have encounter some big obstacles on that feature for lightwave particles...particles to emitt fluids the other way around works as they should, so you can drive the particle system with lightwaves old dynamics wind to create a tornado with the particles ..and then use the particles to emitt fluids, unfortunatly ..the newer bullet system can not use any of itīs forces to push particles around, so there are some things not working fully with the old systems and the new systems.

For the op question about several torches..It might work with several fluid containers, but not sure if it will work smoothly, if you have a large enough container..you might be able to use object as fluid emitters and with some different surface textures you can get them to simulate differently...like this...

https://vimeo.com/35832026

awesome, vid and advice!!

roadster
03-17-2015, 08:40 AM

Not really sure what I would want -- just figured theyd go together - like a horse and carriage!

Netvudu
03-17-2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the great replies guys!

sounds good. Better than Houdini, eh?

As cool as TFD is (Iīm a regular user and I teach it) because of the different structure between apps, I can tell you it is notably far from what you can achieve within Houdini (which I use even more and teach as well). Itīs not TFD fault. I would state the same thing if you were asking about Fume FX in MAX/Maya or any other similar system.
So your comment doesnīt make much sense.
Are you a regular LW user?

roadster
03-17-2015, 07:16 PM
Octane 3! You think it will be compatible?

roadster
03-17-2015, 07:19 PM
As cool as TFD is (Iīm a regular user and I teach it) because of the different structure between apps, I can tell you it is notably far from what you can achieve within Houdini (which I use even more and teach as well). Itīs not TFD fault. I would state the same thing if you were asking about Fume FX in MAX/Maya or any other similar system.
So your comment doesnīt make much sense.
Are you a regular LW user?

Im interested in Houdini, as well.

Should I get Indie? Its cheaper than turbulenceFD for lightwave! But It won't run Octane on Indie.

How fast is Mantra? Between LW and Houdini, which has better import/ export ? And faster workflow?

thanks

roadster
03-18-2015, 03:12 AM
Do you think hypervoxels + Octane will look as good as TFD + stock LW renderer?

Every4thPixel
03-18-2015, 03:31 AM
Octane 3! You think it will be compatible?

No, not likely! The TFD developer needs to write support for that in the first place. Not octane... it's the same for every other render engine like Arnold and Kray etc.