PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave for 3 months trial - yes or no

vonpietro
03-15-2015, 08:14 PM
i WAS HAVING A conversation about how long is enough for a trial.
and it crossed my mind that 1 month trail isn't long enough.

I think that 3 or 4 months would be enough time for a person or a small company to use the software enough to really go.
ya thats more production friendly than say blender which is well unlimited trial or free.

So newtek - why not try it- could be a PR stunt as well- all the big 3d studios might follow suit.
=)

Its good for lightwave i think- more users means more support

who agrees

My thinking is that 1 month isn't enough time to really TRY a program with so many areas to experience.

ernpchan
03-15-2015, 08:42 PM
I like the idea of a longer trial. A month can go by quickly.

djwaterman
03-15-2015, 09:42 PM
Certainly, just look at when LW 2015 came out, one month gave you the use of a very buggy product to sample, 3 months would have allowed us to use the bug fixed release. I can't see the down side of trying this.

vonpietro
03-15-2015, 10:25 PM
Newtek has to get lightwave into more hands -

Maybe hold more contests - Like the christmas holdiay -

Maybe One per month - It costs them very little to give a copy away - and every copy means one more happy lightwaver right.

How about providing some content and letting everyone have some fun with it.
I'm seeing this source film maker thing - and basically people are playing with the content of the game -
the result is short movies with the game characters - promotes the game really.

Maybe newtek can hire some top notch people and make a bunch of assets and then release them for everyone to use, and hold contests for the best use of the content. (it makes sense to have top notch assets to show off how cool lightwave is, bad assets would be a detriment to lightwave)
It would then become synonymous with lightwave. Promoting the software -

I really think lightwave needs better promotion.

Newtek can do the same as valve
Its like - how can newtek get the most advertising for cheap- Have the community making short films with an asset release( sets, characters, premade walk cycles, ect) . Hold contests to encourage participation. =)

how about that?

example of the type of promotional material people are making with SFM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21g7-KLFCAc - to see what people are making with it.
I'm really impressed with source film maker - downloading it now.

I think if LIghtwave had better asset management system for characters - it would go a long way for using lightwave to create stories more.

Blender has their project gooseberry.

How about a newtek funded Project lightwave? Newtek can have the community donate assets to a project lightwave. Just another idea.

vonpietro
03-15-2015, 11:16 PM
ok - Newtek- start a project lightwave
a 6 month trial version encouraging the new users to create assets for project lightwave.

There ya go. advertising made easy as pie and cheap!

while it's not totally free lightwave- increasing the trial to a meaningful length seems a good idea
and a sure thing for newtek.

____
also Source film maker emphasizes story telling - through assets of its game.
a pretty interesting short story-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrpV9rCxtZU
Maybe if newtek made some sort of asset package - it could do similar?

Heres the source film maker tutorial -
what things can be taken from this and applied to lightwave?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDk_Gnmrtv8

bobakabob
03-16-2015, 03:44 PM
Substance Designer and I believe 3d coat are 30 days. It's about right and companies need to make some dosh after all. A good idea to get people hooked might be to double to 60 days but *on request* only. Also Newtek should check out the Substance Designer payment scheme... Paying in reasonably priced instalments to *own* software is one in the eye of the corporate subscription models and a brilliantly simple idea. It would surely increase cash flow and a sense of ownership.

vonpietro
03-16-2015, 03:59 PM
I see how thats the industry norm -
however thinking outside the box for a second -
a 3 month trial version and a project lightwave to participate in - seems like a good idea to me.
It does not have to be a standard thing - but an experiment - to grab some new users. Maybe for 6 months - During siggraph or something else that coincides - the release of star wars - Some nice star wars content fun.
THere is a huge resource for lightwavers for star wars assets. Thats released in decemeber
It can coincide with a roll out of 2016 lightwave - you know - make it work.

Project lightwave would be managed and run by newtek's lightwave 3d group - rob powers is after all - a production veteran. =)
rob
project lightwave - how bout it?

Mr. Wilde
03-16-2015, 04:14 PM
It would be useful if a software trial version clocked the actual time it was running. I'm not able to evaluate a software 24/7, and it has more than once happened that I could only use it for 1-2 out of 30 days because I got caught up with other things.

Surrealist.
03-16-2015, 04:17 PM
I don't agree with the industry norm in the case of a 3D application. I think the right amount of time will depend on the individual. Also there was one software I used at one point that had a very clever way to simply know how many days you used it. So for example the time you have to evaluate software is on the weekends, then you have 30 days which would turn out to be 15 weeks, or any time of course when you have time. I think that is fair.

In my opinion the appropriate amount of time to evaluate 3D software is more like a year. Something like Photoshop or another application that is not nearly as deep, yeah 30-60 days.

3D software has so many disciplines. And so many areas to become very familiar with. This is why I first starting learning XSI by downloading the Mod tool. I spent about a year with it around other work before I committed. I like the Houdini approach with tiers of software starting from free to yearly rentals that are reasonable.

If LW3DG does not want to extend the trial, I think another option is to offer a year rental like Houdini.

Granted one thing LightWave does have is demo mode. After you are done learning with full capability you could still evaluate it, do some tutorials and so on in Demo mode. And that is a fair system. But I think something with less limitations would be better.

bobakabob
03-16-2015, 04:45 PM
Some good ideas here for LW3DG to think on... The 'smart timer' internal clock is enticing and would surely be appreciated by new users. I still think the Substance Designer model is the best way to stimulate interest and sense of ownership along with much needed funds.

Surrealist.
03-16-2015, 05:44 PM
I agree. It is a nice compromise between the alternatives. Either way, something different would be good. I still think that rental is inevitable with LightWave. It has to be. Too many low cost entry points into 3D to ignore it for long.