PDA

View Full Version : Image layer help!!

azjwp
12-02-2003, 03:58 PM
I am trying to apply image maps to my surfaces' color channels in LW 7.5, on Mac OS9, but nothing is showing up in the surface preview or in the render. (It does show up, oddly enough, as applied in the Layout window.) I just moved over from a PC with LW 6.5 where I had no problems at all with the same image files (for months!). The only image files I can get to work are the ones that came with the LW install... What is going on in this little G4???? Would it be an OS9 issue?? I already found out the Hub is incompatable with OS9...

mlinde
12-02-2003, 04:06 PM
1) What type of images are they (format)?
2) Are you sure your plugins are properly loaded?
3) Do the images have alpha channels built in, and could they be affecting visibility?

azjwp
12-02-2003, 04:18 PM
1) some are jpgs, some are psd, and some are QT movies also... all worked easily on PC

2) I am a little fuzzy on the plug ins... I belive I go to Plugins>Add plugins then point to the proper directory/plug ins...... will Modeler/Layout remember them when I restart?

3) no alphas

Thanks for the help

Beamtracer
12-02-2003, 08:32 PM
This is a really weird problem.

If the texture shows up in the Layout viewports, but doesn't show up in the final render, it seems that the plug-ins required for reading the images are working fine.

Are they multi-layered surfaces? Could there be a surface above your image textures that is hiding it from view in the final render? The OpenGL view usually only shows one surface layer.

Hmmm. I'm stretching my brain here. RAM maybe? I may be wrong but I believe Lightwave has to load images twice into RAM... once for rendering, once for OpenGL.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. Have you thought about upgrading to OS X? The Lightwave upgrade is free if you already have LW6.5 on OS9.

I remember finding that Lightwave 6/6.5 on OS X was much more stable and bug free than OS9. Even on a 350MHz box.

mlinde
12-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Beam is right, there is a RAM issue with images in LW. If you run out of RAM, the first thing LW does is start dumping textures. I would make sure you've allocated everything you can to LW (in OS 9, select the application, CMD-I, set the memory to as much as you can). If you aren't sure how much to allocate, get info about the system, to see how much RAM is used by the OS. Leave at least a 50 MB overhead beyond that, and allocate the rest to LW. According to the specs, you need at least 384 MB allocated to LW for it to work effectively in OS 9. Don't run anything else when you are trying to render.

On a side note, that number drops to 128 with OS 10.

azjwp
12-02-2003, 09:37 PM
I had boosted RAM for Modeler and Layout a while back, and checked again today, and they are way up. I am thinking there is something about the types of files that makes a difference. I am not layering image maps, and trying different jpgs that are on my system... a very few will work, but most will not... notice in the surface preview window the grey sphere... where is the surface?

Thanks for the help folks....

mlinde
12-03-2003, 09:27 AM
JPEGs are notoriously difficult to use successfully in the Mac. I suggest you remove JPEG.p from your plugins folder, rescan (to remove it from the LW listing) and see if that works. It will force the JPEG to use Quicktime for display.

azjwp
12-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Thanks... what exactly do you mean by 'rescan'? I am not very experienced with plugins...

mlinde
12-03-2003, 06:16 PM
just use Option-F11 to bring up the Edit Plugins window, and use the Scan Directory button to add them, once the JPEG.p is removed

toby
12-04-2003, 12:31 AM
another thing to check for is that LW doesn't think that there is an Alpha channel, and assumes it's black because there's nothing there! I've seen this on Mac as well as PC.

In the Image Editor, make sure that the Alpha Channel drop-down list reads 'Disabled' not 'Enabled'