PDA

View Full Version : 2016 wish list. What!!!.

cove
03-15-2015, 01:54 PM
Hi.
I just want to say that i think the 2016 wishlist thats been posted seems to me to be a bit premature.
LW 2015 has only been out a few months with the possibility of new features being added before the
end of the year.
It would make more sense to keep wishing for what you want to be in the present 2015 version as
part of any updates.
Also i see that a lot of the features and inprovements that members want in the 2016 wish list were
also wished for in the 2015 wish list.
Im concerned that the Lightwave development team may see your 2016 wish list as an opportunity
to simple take there time with releasing new features as every one is primed to expect new stuff
not this year but NEXT YEAR!
If we let the Lightwave developers know that we want new features THIS year [2015] then maybe
they will release features sooner rather than later.
Regards. KEN.

gerry_g
03-15-2015, 03:17 PM
I'll get this over with as painlessly as I can in one go, the Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause and Lightwave Wish Lists are all fictitious and entirely made up, there I've said it and there's no putting the genie back in the bottle

hrgiger
03-15-2015, 04:28 PM
If we are in fact going to annual releases, there will most likely not be any updates until version 2016 next year.

Dexter2999
03-15-2015, 04:44 PM
I would elaborate and say I don't believe there will be any new features added in 2015. "Updates" would most likely be restricted to bug fixes.

If the Lightwave 3D Group intends to entice a steady stream of income by virtue of version releases it doesn't make sense that they would continue their historic habit of "giving away the milk for free" by giving free feature upgrades in point releases.

You wants the toys. You gots to pay for 'em.

But I don't know that for a fact. That is mere speculation.

Emmanuel
03-15-2015, 04:59 PM
Since these "toys" might or might not enable me to do certain jobs, I see annual updates as very important. Also, LW 2016 must arrive this year, because Maya 2016 and Max 2016 arrive this year, too.

motivalex
03-16-2015, 01:21 AM
I'm doubtful there will be a Lightwave 2015.6months with new major features. LW 2016 will likely be the next major release by the years end.

lightscape
03-16-2015, 01:28 AM
Hi.
I just want to say that i think the 2016 wishlist thats been posted seems to me to be a bit premature.
LW 2015 has only been out a few months with the possibility of new features being added before the
end of the year.
It would make more sense to keep wishing for what you want to be in the present 2015 version as
part of any updates.
Also i see that a lot of the features and inprovements that members want in the 2016 wish list were
also wished for in the 2015 wish list.
Im concerned that the Lightwave development team may see your 2016 wish list as an opportunity
to simple take there time with releasing new features as every one is primed to expect new stuff
not this year but NEXT YEAR!
If we let the Lightwave developers know that we want new features THIS year [2015] then maybe
they will release features sooner rather than later.
Regards. KEN.

Its not premature. Given how Lightwave 2015 probably would have been Lightwave 11.7. Some features of it anyway I'm sure given there was supposed to be a Lw 11.7 update.

How much time is left before we see Lw 2016? What should newtek be working on with this much time. It should be stuff users are actually requesting not some lame tools like weightmap blur.

cove
03-16-2015, 01:46 AM
Hi again.
Thanks for your comments so far.
Personally i think the name change to LW 2015 is,for now, simply that a name change.
LW Group policy to release a new version followed by updates/extra features
in the following months. I would expect this to be the same for the present version LW 2015 and that annual releases will start from the release of LW 2016.
So im looking forward to any updates that maybe released soon.
Because if its anything like the LW11 series release eg. LW 11--LW 11.5/6
then there should be an update titled Lightwave 2015.5 were there is also some significant new feature[s] as part of the update.
As for new features being seen as freebies.
They are not free at all as you have paid for these when you bought the full version or upgraded. but having said that they do feel like freebies when a feature is part of an update.
So im looking forward to the coming months as you never know LW may still supprise us with some innovative feature[s].

ianr
03-16-2015, 05:32 AM
Isn't time that Mr.Powers stepped over into this for Clarification?

Hello,Hello Mr.Powers.?

hrgiger
03-16-2015, 07:18 AM
Isn't time that Mr.Powers stepped over into this for Clarification?

Hello,Hello Mr.Powers.?

I wouldnt hold your breath on that one.

There really is no guarantee of anything. Its possible for them to put out a small update with new features for 2015, but it seems highly unlikely if they are going to put out a LW 2016 by the beginning of next year. And I wouldnt look to LW 11 as an indicator of what will happen during the current development cycle. The only version before that was only a year long was LightWave 10 and there were no feature updates during that cycle except for a .1 maintenance update so that's probably more indicative of all that will happen during 2015.

cove
03-16-2015, 07:48 AM
I completly agree that there should be some clarification from someone in the LW development group.
Questions that need answering..........
Q1.
Will there be any new features released for the present version of Lightwave 2015? [You don,t have to say what they are only that there will be more updates and new feature[s].
Q2.
Does the name change to Lightwave 2015 mean that you are, in the future,
going to have a once a year major release/update with very few if any
intemediate updates?.
This would mean a major change in release policy and think you should provide some comments to make things clearer and put a stop to all the speculation.

Thanks for any info in reply.

silviotoledo
03-16-2015, 08:28 AM
Not so complex to be done, but very usefull:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

PERSPECTIVE VIEW TO CAMERA VIEW - One click option

PROXI OBJECTS:

A method for replace object according with distance from camera at Object Tab:

OBJECT NAME: Ball. lwo POLY COUNT: 2.500

PROXI 01: Ball low res.lwo POLY COUNT: 500 DISTANCE FROM CAMERA FOR REPLACEMENT: 10 m

PROXI 02: Ball les res.lwo POLY COUNT: 50 DISTANCE FROM CAMERA FOR REPLACEMENT: 100 m

VIEWPORT PROXI: Ball les res.lwo POLY COUNT: 50

Every4thPixel
03-16-2015, 09:52 AM
Not so complex to be done, but very usefull:

PERSPECTIVE VIEW TO CAMERA VIEW - One click option

PROXI OBJECTS:

PROXI 01: Ball low res.lwo POLY COUNT: 500 DISTANCE FROM CAMERA FOR REPLACEMENT: 10 m

PROXI 02: Ball les res.lwo POLY COUNT: 50 DISTANCE FROM CAMERA FOR REPLACEMENT: 100 m

Perspective view to cam view is already present in 2015.2

tischbein3
03-16-2015, 09:58 AM
PROXI OBJECTS:

Should be doable with the current sdk, if I find the time and muse I might do it this weekend.

stiff paper
03-16-2015, 11:34 AM
Marvin Landis's LOD plugin. X32 only, but it includes the source. Looks to have been written in C:
http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/

jeric_synergy
03-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Marvin Landis's LOD plugin. X32 only, but it includes the source. Looks to have been written in C:
http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/

Source!? NOICE! {sic}

As a non-programmer I've often wondered: how difficult IS a 64-bit recompile???

jwiede
03-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Source!? NOICE! {sic}

As a non-programmer I've often wondered: how difficult IS a 64-bit recompile???

Generically, it depends on the instances/quantities of certain types of code that need hand modification (f.e. hw register interactions and related bitfield ops, many others exist), how the original author set up type usage, and a bunch of other finicky details. Every case is different.

In this case, not very difficult.

jwiede
03-17-2015, 04:47 AM
In this case, not very difficult.

That said, the built-in object replacement capability IS equivalent in functionality, so there's minimal value porting LoD to x64.

ianr
03-17-2015, 07:20 AM
LOD on the fly, where LW camera knows how far it is from
or moved a way from the said lwo object & auto swaps out
replacing with next 'Level Of Detail 'object.
The same could done at the same time for'Nested 'lws scenes'
to create LOD Nested Worlds. Where in, as you camera through
a fluid created huge world. (Ram permitting)
This is what Mr.Powers did for Cameron.
Back on the cusp of VR relaunch now, LW should have this back
as a present from Cameron to go with the upcoming Walton
Industries VR Occulus LW plugin. Call it World driver!

Marketing/Scmarketing, its doable & not too costly to implement LW3DG

Ztreem
03-17-2015, 08:01 AM
LOD for objects is already doable it's under object properties -> object replacement-> level of detail.

jeric_synergy
03-17-2015, 09:29 AM
LOD for objects is already doable it's under object properties -> object replacement-> level of detail.

Since this seems to be a surprise to people: is it covered/findable/logical in the dox?

Ztreem
03-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Since this seems to be a surprise to people: is it covered/findable/logical in the dox?

I don't really know as I'm not a doc reading kind of person, I'm a trial n error kind of person... testing all buttons and menus as I go along. :D

allabulle
03-17-2015, 09:55 AM

Pg. 395 of the LW2015 PDF Manual

jeric_synergy
03-17-2015, 10:38 AM
:

stiff paper
03-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Well, pook. I have no idea when they added that functionality to Object Replacement.

I do know it wasn't there last time I needed to use LOD functionality, which was... umm... in 1999.

It was a lot more useful back when PCs were steam powered and we didn't have any way to do Instancing.

jwiede
03-17-2015, 02:30 PM
Well, pook. I have no idea when they added that functionality to Object Replacement.

I do know it wasn't there last time I needed to use LOD functionality, which was... umm... in 1999.

It was a lot more useful back when PCs were steam powered and we didn't have any way to do Instancing.

I've got Mac versions back through 9.3 installed, I'll check back through those when I get home.

MSherak
03-17-2015, 03:14 PM
There is also a Level Of Detail Mesh Refinement plugin to control the SubD display/render and the same for metaballs under Add Custom Object.

Ztreem
03-17-2015, 03:18 PM

I don't think its a new feature, feels like it been there since lw 7.5 at least, but I have no clue. I only have 11.6 installed on my computer now a days.

jeric_synergy
03-17-2015, 06:03 PM
WISHLIST:

Complete support for SYMMETRY for all tools, including point/edge/poly creation tools such as Knife.

BeeVee
03-18-2015, 02:12 AM
The two LOD methods have been there since 7.0 so that's 2001...

B

tischbein3
03-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Never noticed it, what would be cool though would be a button alongside each "Beyond Distance" field wich would calculate the current distance from the object to the render cam, and fill in the value.

Ztreem
03-18-2015, 12:15 PM
Never noticed it, what would be cool though would be a button alongside each "Beyond Distance" field wich would calculate the current distance from the object to the render cam, and fill in the value.

You can put the range finder on the camera and type that value in "beyond distance"... Almost as essy. :-)

xevious2501
04-11-2015, 08:25 PM
2016 wish list...
ok..

1. improvements in Hypervoxels. more control, more flexibility to enable liquid effects. User definable Voxel baking scale beyond 400x400x400
2. Open VDB. as an addition to an improved hypervoxel environment, including more native procedurals.
3. support for oculus rift.
4. full layout GLSL shader support. (as done on Flame)

ccclarke
04-11-2015, 09:09 PM
I have almost never used the Surface Editor Smoothing Angle at anything other than 30 degrees, and have to reset the default 89.5 on every model I import. I would love to be able to save my own default setting in the Preferences/Display Options and have it update the config. files.

CCC