PDA

View Full Version : info on LW Discovery

12-02-2003, 03:58 PM
Hi all,

I have had several College students approach me asking about the Lightwave Discovery edition..They have an interest to learn, but not much money.. Can anyone tell me the limitations of this software?? I realize when you render it will watermark the output.. What are the other limits?? What about modeler, can you build and save models??

Thanks
Mike M.

WizCraker
12-02-2003, 05:41 PM
I think it it can only render at a max of 800 x 600 it has a point limitation and it only lasts 30 days.

There are other options available such as student version which they lowered down to $395 for an Educational Version (http://www.sharbor.com/products/NTKN0300050.html). That link shows info from Sharbor.com and it comes with a free upgrade to version 8. That would be the best deal IMO.

rabid pitbull
12-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Are you sure it only runs 30 days??? Seems to me that it was just limited in function. As already stated a max point count of 400(per layer??) and scenes cannot be saved are biggest limits.

thierrybauser
12-03-2003, 09:54 AM
I use LW Discovery with my students (both Wiondows and Mac OSX versions). The limits are :
- 400 points max per layer in Modeler
- No saving for scene files
- a grey chessboard in background of all renderings.

WizCraker
12-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by rabid pitbull
Are you sure it only runs 30 days???

No, I have never used the DE as I have always owned, so I'm just guessing 30 days. It might be forever.