PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the 'Fit to Background' script

daforum
03-14-2015, 05:58 AM
I was looking recently for the 'Fit to Background' script and can't find it.
There was a post with it included as an attachment, but i can't find that either!!

As i'm still stuck on LW v9.6 i just wanted to give it a go...

Can anyone help?

Sensei
03-14-2015, 06:14 AM
You mean Modeler or Layout tool?

Push can be used for this purpose in Modeler.
It was written on LW v9.0, or so,
so it'll work with LW v9.6
http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/Push

daforum
03-14-2015, 11:46 AM
It is a Modeler tool.

Sorry Sensei, I can't afford to buy Push at the moment...

ernpchan
03-15-2015, 10:09 AM
Is it this?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvuhyLMEz4

daforum
03-15-2015, 10:33 AM
That's the one!
There used to be a link to a script version of it ( v1.0 ) with the YouTube video, and the link went to a Newtek LW forum thread where it was an attachment!!?

ernpchan
03-15-2015, 12:42 PM
Hopefully erikalst remembers since it's his video.

I saw that Denis has a mention of a plugin on his site that sounds similar to this but it's not downloadable.

daforum
03-16-2015, 07:55 AM
Which one is it on Denis's site?
I'll have to contact Erikalst about the link.

ernpchan
03-16-2015, 12:15 PM
Which one is it on Denis's site?
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Lscript_Plugin_Development_en.htm

MonroePoteet
03-16-2015, 03:58 PM
It's a built-in tool for Modeler in 11.6.3 under the Modify => Transform => More...

mTp

JoePoe
03-16-2015, 04:48 PM
Ya know I might have it in the old 9.6 plugs folder. I'll pm you if I do.
Since it's been absorbed (and I think it was free before), I don't see sharing as an issue..... unless you guys think otherwise.

ernpchan
03-16-2015, 06:37 PM
Ya know I might have it in the old 9.6 plugs folder. I'll pm you if I do.
Since it's been absorbed (and I think it was free before), I don't see sharing as an issue..... unless you guys think otherwise.

Probably unnecessary since mTp is right. It's under Modify>Transform>More.

daforum
03-17-2015, 06:36 AM
Probably unnecessary since mTp is right. It's under Modify>Transform>More.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble ( including myself ) so if you're not sure, it's no problem.

JoePoe, I had a look in my 9.6 folders to see if it was hidden there but it wasn't. I think it's a new script.
Just wanted to see if anyone knew of the original post with attachment so I could download it and try it out.

JoePoe
03-17-2015, 06:47 AM
JoePoe, I had a look in my 9.6 folders to see if it was hidden there but it wasn't. I think it's a new script.

Yeah, I was hoping it had been an existing third party plug recently folded into the newer builds.
Not in my 3rd party plugs folder from 9.6 either. Can't find a whisper of it anywhere. Sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

As for "everyone ;)" else....... READ THE FIRST POST!! :D:D

MonroePoteet
03-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Yes, sorry to have missed the "stuck on 9.6" in the first post. I looked through my V8.5 distribution for it, but it's not there. It is an LS on 11.6, but I think posting parts of 11.6 for separate download is a copyright violation.

mTp

JoePoe
03-17-2015, 08:20 AM
...I think posting parts of 11.6 for separate download is a copyright violation.

mTp

Certainly! I would never do THAT in a million years. Well, maybe in a million years there will be no such thing as "copyright". So..... Unevolved :D.

Sensei
03-17-2015, 08:35 AM
Certainly! I would never do THAT in a million years.

You're more saint than Jesus ;)

MonroePoteet
03-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Here's a quick LScript that I wrote to do a basic "Fit to Background" functionality. Probably not as full-featured as the NewTek version (and I did not look at or reference theirs to write mine!), but might suit your needs. Note that it only supports a single foreground and background layer. If multiple layers are selected in either foreground or background, only the first will be considered.

mTp

daforum
03-17-2015, 10:19 AM
I think this might be a copyright issue so I won't download :(

It's fully appreciated - all the help, advice and script making that's gone on - but if it isn't available then I will wait until I'm able to upgrade and use the version bundled with the paid version.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, and it was just a quick question because curiosity got the better of me.

MonroePoteet
03-17-2015, 10:52 AM
I think this might be a copyright issue so I won't download :(

Well, as I said, I wrote it myself without referring to the v11.6 script, so I own the script and you're welcome to use it. The algorithm is quite simple: divide the size (extent) of the bounding box of the target mesh by the extent of the source mesh to get a scaling factor in each dimension. The calculation of each new point is then 1) offset it to the origin by subtracting the center of the source bounding box, 2) multiply by the calculated scaling factor, and 3) offset to the center of the target bounding box.

It may not work the same as the Newtek script, and may have bugs / limitations I haven't discovered, but I wrote it independently and you're welcome to use it. Note that I also can't promise it'll work on V9.6 if any of the LScript functionality I used isn't available in that version.

mTp

JoePoe
03-17-2015, 12:57 PM
You're more saint than Jesus ;)

:D I certainly wouldn't put in writing the other option :hey:. Especially on the very forum of the software in question.
So I don't know how virtuous I am...

...although I do like the sound of that, "Saint JoePoe" :angel:

Monroe.... Very nice of you. FWIW, If I didn't have the built in version, I wouldn't have a problem using your script. :thumbsup:

MonroePoteet
03-17-2015, 05:41 PM
Monroe.... Very nice of you. FWIW, If I didn't have the built in version, I wouldn't have a problem using your script. :thumbsup:

Thanks, but it's definitely the "dollar discount" version of the plug-in. No interface, no options, etc. Seems to work, though.

RE: using it, I'm kind of a stickler for copyright, since I have a great respect for the effort, expertise and persistence required to produce a book, movie, composition, etc. to completion, and I really hope the people who are good at that can make a living at it (which is really hard if people steal it!). The script I wrote is perfectly legal, and doesn't infringe any copyright. It's just a plain implementation of a fairly simple algorithm.

mTp