PDA

View Full Version : Radiosity plus Instance Problem/Question

silviotoledo
03-12-2015, 10:13 AM
I have a terrain and I instance a lot of trees over.

With radiosity, the render time is too big, so I go to my tree object and say the object will not be affected by radiosity. Only the terrain will be affected by radiosity.

When I try to render, the render time is really big again. It seems lightwave is calculating radiosity on all instances.

When I turn radiosity off in gobal panel, render time is so fast, but there's no radiosity and I want it minimal at the terrain object.

What's the problem?

Is lightwave calculating radiosity for all instances althought I have said some object will not be affected?

MSherak
03-12-2015, 01:55 PM
There are big differences between Unseen by Radiosity, Exclude from Radiosity and Global settings.

Unseen by radiosity means the tree will not render bounced light to item other items but still will be lite from bounced light.
Exclude from Radiosity means it will not be added at all to the solution.
Global Settings allows you to adjust per object how you want it to add to the solution.

Load the scene attached and turn of VPR on the bottom panel. Make sure you have Draft mode off for this test. You will see that it renders very slow due to the high values in the GI panel. We are not going to touch that. Open up the objects panel. Now try turning the values on and off mentioned above. I think you will find the results you are looking for.

-M

ps. image samples are named for the flags on/off.

Sanchon
03-12-2015, 03:05 PM
You should use different radiosity values for vegetation like - RPE 20, MPS=0-5, MaxPS=15-50. Render time of instances near the same with GI turned on or off.

silviotoledo
03-16-2015, 09:47 AM
Thanks Msherak and Sanchon. Now it works! I thought Unseen by Radiosity was the same of No Radiosity. Now I see I was wrong!