PDA

View Full Version : Real Camera Properties Help!

intssed
03-11-2015, 02:03 PM
What right values i must add in Camera Properties?

1. CAmera: Canon SD500
2. W: 5606 H: 1990
3. Focal Length: 6.142 (when i add that value, very high perspective)
4. What is Focal Plane X and Y? There are Horizontal and Vertical FOV?
Maybe just need convert from Metric to Imperial values?

Thanks!

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=127437&d=1426103234 127437

MonroePoteet
03-12-2015, 08:41 AM

Thanks!

Here's Canon's specification page for that model:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/powershot_sd_series/powershot_sd500?selectedName=Specifications

Taking the numbered items individually and referencing Canon's specifications for the model:

OK on the model.
The spec sheet give the largest "Still Image Size" as 3072x2304 (Large)
The spec sheet gives the focal length range as: 7.7-23.1mm f/2.8-4.9 (35mm film equivalent: 37-111mm) so this value is below the valid range of the camera giving an extreme wide angle. I think the focal length in LW is simulating 35mm equivalent. The Layout documentation says you can simulate the human eye by using a Focal Length of about 50mm.
If the camera had an anamorphic lens, you could have a different horizontal and vertical FOV. The SD500 doesn't have an anamorphic lens.

Hope this helps.

mTp

MSherak
03-12-2015, 01:11 PM

Thanks!

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=127437&d=1426103234 127437

Select Real Lens Camera. Under properties select Canon, select SD500, set lens to Standard. The Lens Focal Length should be set between 37-111mm. In this case use your cameras Focal Length as the Zoom Factor. This will convert the MM for you. Type in the F Number in your Lens F-Stop if you are using DOF. Type in the resolution and away you go..

-M

intssed
03-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Thanks, MonroePoteet and MSherak!

I use Camera Settings From Image:

And first try use Photoshop Vanishing Point.

JonW
03-14-2015, 08:58 PM
When I do photo montages I don't bother with real lenses in LW. I always shoot RAW and remove the distortions of the background image so its ready to line up in LW & attached to a camera. I also set up the camera in LW to 5616 x 3744 pixels to match the back ground image. It saves a lot of buggering around.

To minimise wasting my time on the computer I always have the camera on a tripod and it is always level. I even have a dumpy level mounted next to the camera to get it perfectly level. Well at least a millimetre over 10 metres! If I need to point the lens down of up a bit, I use a wider angle lens to cover enough of the scene. This usually works in most cases.

intssed
03-14-2015, 11:46 PM
Thanks, JonW!
I will do remowe distortion.
How are you use camera on tripod? Camera with LW?

MSherak
03-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Thanks, MonroePoteet and MSherak!

I use Camera Settings From Image:

And first try use Photoshop Vanishing Point.

Used Perspective Match in 2015.2 then set the Real Lens Camera to your settings. Added some trucks, sphere and shadow catcher. Placed a basic surface on the sphere, just textures on the trucks. Added a Sun, set some GI, rendered. No where near perfect for about 10 minutes of work in total.

JonW
03-15-2015, 09:00 PM
How are you use camera on tripod? Camera with LW?

I don't know what you mean. The Canon 5d2 & Leica dumpy level are on Manfrotto tripod. Because I am usually doing a photo montage I know exactly the position of the tripod in the real world. So when I am working in LW I can place a LW camera at that position.

Attached: The blue lines are traced from the photo which will be used as the background image. The 3d is from the survey, usually the surveyors are pretty frugal with the quantity of dimensions.

The blue line are an 'object' that I attach to the LW camera at about 200 mm so it is in the foreground so I can line up the LW camera with the 3d.

In the real world I keep the camera level. A bit of work carefully taking the photo saves a lot of time on the computer...... So: Tripod, level camera, cable release, mirror up, shoot RAW, note of the position of camera on survey, position of sun.

If you set up the LW camera to the same pixel dimension as your real camera, lets say 5616 x 3744, then all your renders will fit your Photoshop working file. If you do a test render at 50% when you drag it into PS double the size first & it fits exactly.

If the background image you are going to use is in LW attached to a LW camera. If you render a Limited Region it will fit your PS file exactly. I quite often have an additional/s LW Shift Camera twice (exactly twice) as close or 4 times as close to render patches. Then they will go straight into the PS working file because the render is at 100% or 50% etc. Then usually the LW camera is at 200% for the final render to minimise anti aliasing.

The second attached image has the foreground ready to go in Photoshop. I have the same background image in LW so when I render the small section it fits into the PS file to the pixel.

intssed
03-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Thanks, JonW and MSherak for suggestions!

I have not possibilities take picture by myself.
PS Vanishing Point helps me in this case.
Perspective Match really simplify work!

JonW
03-23-2015, 12:16 AM
Just a suggestion, replace the sky. The change of colours across the photo is distracting.