PDA

View Full Version : Lagging Layout with SubD object even though hidden

raw-m
03-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Getting a really annoying lag in Layout. I have a hi-res subD object that is set to render in the Scene Editor but display is hidden and a lo-res stand in that is set not to render but to display as reference in the hope it speeds up animation.

Trouble is the hidden SubD object, even though hidden and Display SubPatch Level set to 0, is slowing down layout - you can see the "Freezing object..." message constantly flashing when scrubbing the timeline - which is causing a lag.

I've deleted the hiRes object to get normal performance for now. Anyone have a workaround so I don't have to keep loading the Hi Res object for every render?

Andy Webb
03-11-2015, 09:23 AM
A perennial problem with LW, it just doesn't like dense meshes, layout is usually much better than modeller so I'm surprised it's slowing down that much.

Afraid I'm no help...

raw-m
03-11-2015, 09:23 AM
OK, solution found - there are no bones or displacements in this rig and I'd left the Subdivision Order to Last when trying something out. Setting to First and I'm back up to speed. Must remember that!

Andy Webb
03-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Good find :thumbsup:

raw-m
03-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Cheers Andy, total fluke finding that - on a plus side with LW2015.2 I can now batch select all my objects, make changes and it'll apply to all selected :D

ernpchan
03-11-2015, 05:22 PM
OK, solution found - there are no bones or displacements in this rig and I'd left the Subdivision Order to Last when trying something out. Setting to First and I'm back up to speed. Must remember that!

Seems like a bug for it to lag so much when there's nothing affecting the geo. :stumped:

Jarno
03-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Seems like a bug for it to lag so much when there's nothing affecting the geo. :stumped:

It's not about whether or not something is affecting the geometry of the subdivided object. It is about whether or not something else in the scene is affected by the subdivided geometry.

Currently it isn't possible for LW to determine if some given geometry is needed by something else in the scene. So even though the object is hidden, it has to compute the subdivision.

And no, it can't compute the mesh on-demand. The objects in the scene must be evaluated in a certain order together to give the correct result. A mesh can not be evaluated out of order without it causing breakage.

When the subdivision order is set to First, then at least LW can reuse the existing subdivided mesh. If not set to First, then there is a period during the evaluation of the scene where the object has to appear as being not subdivided. That is when things get slow as the mesh data get swapped out between non-subd and subd.

We're keenly aware that this needs improvement.

---JvdL---