PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Bone Ediing

Michael Lizak
03-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Posted this in the general support forum yesterday, but did not get any responses. Thought I'd try here today.

I have a character animated with bones in Layout. After keyframing a walk cycle, the client wanted the character to have different shoes which ended up making it's legs longer. Now when the character appears in Layout the foot bones are too high & the feet deform wrong. At frame 0 I've tried using "tip move" to adjust the bone placement. It appears that the bone returns to the original position at the keyframe after 0 & that foot & leg deform incorrectly after that. I guess I need to know how to readjust the bones so it will deform correctly for all previously created bone keyframes. I have little experience with bones so any tips are appreciated. Thanks, -Michael

ernpchan
03-11-2015, 08:27 AM
You probably have keyframes on that adjusted bone after frame zero. Make sure your keyframe values are consistent after your adjustment.

The other thing you could do is make your adjustments in a non animated scene. And then transfer the motions from your animated scene to then new rig. Make sure to transfer only the channels you need. You'll probably still need to adjust your feet animation but that should be a global adjustment.

jasonwestmas
03-11-2015, 11:27 AM
eek sounds like a mess, I wonder why the modeler couldn't make the new shoes to be roughly the same height as the original shoes.

To adjust bones you have to disable IK and turn your bones off so that they have no effect on the mesh. Then you can adjust your bone length in bone properties and then move them into place with the translate manipulator. Rest your bones hitting the 'r' key and then turn bones and IK on again. If it were me I would just rig the legs again from scratch depending how complex the rig was.