PDA

View Full Version : Fiber FX pattern

Snosrap
03-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Why does FiberFX always produce a pattern that looks like it's the underlying triangles of the geometry? It doesn't seem to matter if the hair is long or short.

Greenlaw
03-10-2015, 12:00 AM
Looks like you're using Splay. Splay will do just that from the center of each polygon in your mesh. Here's an example with 10% Splay:

If you don't want to see that pattern, don't use Splay. Instead, put a random texture in the Bump property. Bump affects the angle of the fibers across the entire surface. Here I'm using 0% Splay and good ol' Fractal noise in Bump to randomize the fiber angles:

Hope this helps.

G.

Dodgy
03-10-2015, 01:24 AM
Are you using Tuft or Clump? If so, turn them down and use a noisy procedural in the Bump channel instead for more natural looking wavey hair.

tonyrizo2003
03-10-2015, 02:08 AM
In my elemunk image, I used a fractal pattern in diffuse to get different shades.

Greenlaw
03-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Dodgy's correct...it's not just Splay, setting Tuft and Clump too high will do that too. I believe Splay has the strongest effect for that grid-like pattern though. (These settings are probably more useful if you're using Edit Guides or externally generated guides like with FiberFX Strand Modeler or ZBrush FiberMesh.)

It might also help if you use a higher Cluster Radius--if it's wide enough, it can make fibers from each guide to 'mix-in' with fibers from other guides.

A little grooming with Edit Guides can help too. But play around with the possibilities without using Edit Guides first. IMO, it's really important to have a good understanding of what each FiberFX parameter does and how it works with other parameters.

But the most effective setting for randomizing fiber angle is definitely Bump. Also try Root Only mode with Bump--it's not necessarily better but it does arrange the guides differently.

G.

Snosrap
03-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys! Big help.