PDA

View Full Version : Maximum fiber density in FiberFX in 2015

Snosrap
03-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Is there a different way of explicitly determining where FiberFX hair is applied on an object other than weight maps? I haven't used FiberFX in some time and as I recall you were once able to just select a surface name where you wanted it applied - now it's through the use of weight map? A weight map adds more potential for varying the placement, but it seems overly complex if you just want to add it to surface. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Skywatcher_NT
03-09-2015, 01:30 PM
When you activate the object in fiberfx there is a little arrow next to the object to expand the surfaces ;)

MSherak
03-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Open it up like this....

Snosrap
03-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Thanks. Is there any reason why the surfaces wouldn't show up? I want to add some fuzz to the fabric on this chair. I've got two surfaces - fabric and wood.

jasonwestmas
03-09-2015, 03:01 PM
That's odd. . .Checkmark the eyeball icon?

MSherak
03-09-2015, 04:02 PM
Thanks. Is there any reason why the surfaces wouldn't show up? I want to add some fuzz to the fabric on this chair. I've got two surfaces - fabric and wood.

No idea unless it's something with the model.. Also check to see if that FiberFX is loading from the 2015.2 folder.

Snosrap
03-10-2015, 07:02 AM
Thanks guys, it looks like it is pulling from the right location. I've included the model for you to test. As you can see it works fine on a simple ball test object, but for some reason the surfaces don't show up on the chair. Thanks.

JoePoe
03-10-2015, 09:32 AM
It doesn't like the parentheses! :thumbsup:

Edit: Also...if you change the name while the chair is still in the scene, deactivate and reactivate Fibers to get the surfaces to show up.

Danner
03-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Stay away from any "non standard" characters when working with lightwave, I've learned the hard way.. Underscores are fine.

Snosrap
03-10-2015, 10:43 AM
I've ran into that with Morph Mixer but didn't think of that here. I guess when it comes to FiberFX I always want to blame the tool! :) Thanks guys!

JoePoe
03-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Interestingly, fwiw, it only seems to dislike a parenthesis next to the "."
I kept the paretheses and added a space before the suffix and all was fine.
Tho, still probably best to avoid them altogether I guess...

Greenlaw
03-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Yes, and not just for Lightwave. With any production application it's just good practice to only use standard characters in file names and paths.

jwiede
03-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Yes, and not just for Lightwave.

Well, Lightwave does seem to have an extraordinary number of such issues present (as well as atypically large number of different "flavors" of such issues present at once).

Greenlaw
03-11-2015, 06:08 AM
Just saying that sticking to standards can prevent all sorts of issues that may occur if you use expressions and scripting in your applications, or when working in an environment with mixed applications (CG and compositing), a network render farm, or if you share data between OS's like Win, Mac and Linux. In the years I've been involved in production I've seen all kinds problems pop up because somebody got careless with naming conventions.

Trust me, it's not specifically a Lightwave thing.

G.