PDA

View Full Version : NASA uses Lightwave3d

achilles
03-07-2015, 07:11 AM
http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/iss-hi-res
Good!

robertoortiz
03-07-2015, 07:13 AM
yes they have for a while. I know the lead guy and he is a big waver.

spherical
03-07-2015, 02:57 PM
And there's a lot of geo in there that's Borked, out of line with other components or missing altogether. Took quite a while to fix and I'm not sure I found them all. Could be that I happened upon an earlier version. I'll check this one out, just to be sure.

Edit: Mine dates from 1999-2007, depending upon the component, so it is more "original" than the one linked. Perhaps things got fixed in the interim.

shrox
03-07-2015, 03:25 PM
I have a bunch of models at Celestia, I think four were included in the old NASA 3D collection. 256x256 textures, woooh!

vonpietro
03-07-2015, 03:58 PM
and its accurate too boot
]

wow some of these are some nice models, blender files too
http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/jpl-vtad-dsn70

http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/shuttle-hi-res
space shuttle

Can you say assets for my first unreal game =)
ok maybe not, but worth a try to see if i can get some of it into unreal

roadster
03-07-2015, 05:04 PM
what is the license for NASA 3d models?

thanks

shrox
03-07-2015, 05:14 PM
what is the license for NASA 3d models?

thanks

Public domain.

prometheus
03-08-2015, 06:09 AM
Are the Nasa models accurate in scale, like the ISS station?

spherical
03-08-2015, 04:45 PM
IIRC, yes. But, then, we've had the "scale" discussion.

roadster
03-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Public domain.

thanks.

Are all Nasa images public domain , too? Is there a license posted anywhere, for the curious. { I didn't
see one on that page. }

spherical
03-08-2015, 09:39 PM
"All NASA images" is a big category. No, they are not all public domain, depending upon the area you are talking about. This is a common misconception that all images that NASA uses are in the public domain. Images created for NASA missions by contractors are most often granted reproduction rights by the author for NASA to use them. The remaining reproduction rights remain with the author, unless specifically stated otherwise. That which makes the situation cloudy is the individuals at NASA often just blithely put "Image Credit: NASA" on an image, when it really should be credited to the author and the words "Used By Permission" added. If it were the latter, much of the confusion would be eliminated. We've been working to get this incorrect attribution approach changed for years and it is taking hold; but it is a slow process and a big agency.

shrox
03-08-2015, 09:47 PM
"All NASA images" is a big category. No, they are not all public domain, depending upon the area you are talking about. This is a common misconception that all images that NASA uses are in the public domain. Images created for NASA missions by contractors are most often granted reproduction rights by the author for NASA to use them. The remaining reproduction rights remain with the author, unless specifically stated otherwise. That which makes the situation cloudy is the individuals at NASA often just blithely put "Image Credit: NASA" on an image, when it really should be credited to the author and the words "Used By Permission" added. If it were the latter, much of the confusion would be eliminated. We've been working to get this incorrect attribution approach changed for years and it is taking hold; but it is a slow process and a big agency.

There is no policy link on the 3D page. The old one said they were for public use I believe.

spherical
03-08-2015, 10:21 PM
Yes, as I understand it, all of the 3D resources are PD.

roadster
03-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Yes, as I understand it, all of the 3D resources are PD.

thanks.

Hopefully they will post a license, to avoid confusion.

jburford
03-18-2015, 07:53 AM
Actually (it is my understanding) that anything that is created with Tax Payers Dollars is/are in the Public Domain.

shrox
03-18-2015, 11:59 AM
Actually (it is my understanding) that anything that is created with Tax Payers Dollars is/are in the Public Domain.

Well, not in the United States. The US public "owns" our military, yet Lockheed demands royalties from SR-71 models and pictures.

jburford
03-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Well, not in the United States. The US public "owns" our military, yet Lockheed demands royalties from SR-71 models and pictures.

Well, for one I am American. And I highly beg to differ (am 95% certain), will look it up though.

I would imagine that Lochheed would demand royalties, as Locheed is not the military just the same as Boing is not the military nor owned by the military.

They provide products that our military purchases, and yes, there are loans and grants provided to them from the US Government. Was interesting that I just saw a documentary over the U2 and the SR-71 and it's creator over here on TV.

shrox
03-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Well, for one I am American. And I highly beg to differ (am 95% certain), will look it up though.

I would imagine that Lochheed would demand royalties, as Locheed is not the military just the same as Boing is not the military nor owned by the military.

They provide products that our military purchases, and yes, there are loans and grants provided to them from the US Government. Was interesting that I just saw a documentary over the U2 and the SR-71 and it's creator over here on TV.

"Owns" was in quotes for a reason. Military budgets come from taxes.

A company I worked for made an SR-72 rocket model rocket. At some trade shows Lockheed would come by and examine it. Now that the Lockheed SR-72 has been announced, that may be why.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_4_Kits/SR-72_Darkbird

jburford
03-18-2015, 01:10 PM
Here in regards to NASA Materials

NASA still images, audio files and video generally are not copyrighted. You may use NASA imagery, video and audio material for educational or informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits and Internet Web pages. This general permission extends to personal Web pages. . . . This general permission does not extend to use of the NASA insignia logo (the blue "meatball" insignia), the retired NASA logotype (the red "worm" logo) and the NASA seal. These images may not be used by persons who are not NASA employees or on products (including Web pages) that are not NASA sponsored.

Also, if a US government agency hires an independent contractor to produce a work for it, and the contractor assigns his or her copyright in the work to that agency ... the work won’t have been produced by an official or employee of the government, so the copyright exclusion won’t apply. The government, instead of the contractor, will be the copyright owner.

Here is good information regarding Government Works

http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/us-government-works.html

Cheers

jburford
03-18-2015, 01:12 PM
The SR-71

It was developed as a black project from the Lockheed A-12 reconnaissance aircraft in the 1960s by Lockheed and its Skunk Works division. (Not the US Government) Information here as well as other sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird

prometheus
03-18-2015, 01:48 PM
By the way, this might be out of topic for Nasa models, I have become more interested in the habitat modules for the Mars one project, and was wondering if there is any of those models available somewhere? preferably with accurate interior showcase?

Michael

shrox
03-18-2015, 02:02 PM
The SR-71

It was developed as a black project from the Lockheed A-12 reconnaissance aircraft in the 1960s by Lockheed and its Skunk Works division. (Not the US Government) Information here as well as other sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird

Sure, but it was funded by taxes. Leaders like to say we as citizens "own" these things, but we really don't.

spherical
03-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Also, if a US government agency hires an independent contractor to produce a work for it, and the contractor assigns his or her copyright in the work to that agency ... the work won’t have been produced by an official or employee of the government, so the copyright exclusion won’t apply. The government, instead of the contractor, will be the copyright owner.

Yes. It's called "Work For Hire" or a "buyout" in creative industry vernacular terms. Not all of us give the agency all rights; especially when they do not need them.

jburford
03-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Sure, but it was funded by taxes. Leaders like to say we as citizens "own" these things, but we really don't.

Yes, there is funding and grants from the US. Government and other agencies probably for this and other "Programs", however it was not fully funded in any capacity by taxes. If any such corporation allows such research and technology projects to be fully funded by taxes, then they lose control fully of their baby.

Contracting out, is the key to things, to produce certain products and deliver under contract while maintaining specific rights still to their products.

But yes, there was tax funding flowing into it one can be certain. And with most things, to which extent, we will probably never no.

Thank ( _ _ _ ) for Black Ops Projects.

jburford
03-18-2015, 04:27 PM
By the way, this might be out of topic for Nasa models, I have become more interested in the habitat modules for the Mars one project, and was wondering if there is any of those models available somewhere? preferably with accurate interior showcase?

Michael

Haven't seen anything yet. Did see some sketches somewhere, but do not find them at the moment.