PDA

View Full Version : A very stupid question, but...

newtekmonkey
12-02-2003, 10:10 AM
I've been in and out of Inspire for a few years and I'm pretty comfortable with it, but it no longer exists and doesn't work in OSX. I've been offered a copy of LW7 and was wondering, how 'easy' would you say it would be to make the transition? I keep on hearing all of this lingo floating around the place like Baking and Endomorphs, etc. and I'm worried that there is far too much in LW for me as a hobbiest.

I know I may be being silly, but change can be for the worse.

Dodgy
12-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Should be fairly straightforward, there's a bit changed in how things work behind the scenes, but you should be able to cope ;)

newtekmonkey
12-02-2003, 03:48 PM
Cheers for the reply. It looks scary, but I'll take a deep breath and dive in :D

SplineGod
12-02-2003, 03:53 PM
Its an easy transition. The nice thing is that youll have all the power you had before and a lot more when you feel like delving deeper. :)

cagey5
12-02-2003, 04:48 PM
As an Inspire convert/hobbyist I say dive in. You'll be grinning for weeks.
If you liked Inspire you'll love Lightwave.

riki
12-02-2003, 05:57 PM
As my mother use to say "Jump or Die!" :)

Beamtracer
12-02-2003, 06:57 PM
I've got Lightwave 7.5c running on an Apple G5 computer with OSX 10.2.7, and it runs fantastically. It has never crashed once.

You may have to upgrade to Lightwave 8 to be compatible with Apple's new 'Panther' OS (OSX 10.3) though. LW8 will be released soon, and Newtek has stated it will be compatible with the Panther OS (they have it working in the lab already).

If you purchase LW7.5 now, I believe you get a free upgrade to LW8 when it's out.

You said you're a "hobbyist" 3D user. However you don't need your work to look like hobby work. Lightwave has a reasonable price point compared to the other pro apps, so now you'll be able to do professional looking 3D work.

SplineGod
12-02-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer

You said you're a "hobbyist" 3D user. However you don't need your work to look like hobby work. Lightwave has a reasonable price point compared to the other pro apps, so now you'll be able to do professional looking 3D work.

Not to mention that many of started off as hobbyists. :)

archiea
12-03-2003, 02:07 AM
also not to mention, too, that I think NT still has an inspire upgrade path.....

colkai
12-03-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer

Amen to that.
As another hobbyist, I love the fact that LW can put this level of power in your hands, all you have to do is learn how to use it. I may never make any money using LW - but I really love using it. :D

newtekmonkey
12-03-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by cagey5
As an Inspire convert/hobbyist I say dive in. You'll be grinning for weeks.
If you liked Inspire you'll love Lightwave.

You're right. I can feel the corners of my mouth working already. This could be the start of a great frienship...

newtekmonkey
12-04-2003, 05:37 AM
Looks like my offer may not be a good one.

Hoping still...

but atleast I have tasted the nectar and I've heard there will be a demo of LW8 in January, Bugger!

Back to Inspire then:mad::mad: :( :mad:

cagey5
12-04-2003, 11:50 AM
510 Upgrade to 7.5 immediately and includes download of 8.0 when available.

No mention of the DFX bundle in there but sounds good regardless. As an upgrade from Inspire it sounds like a fair deal.

http://www.oneanimation.net/products.asp?manufacturer=25

newtekmonkey
12-19-2003, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Cagey. It is a good deal, but I've got a part time Lightwave relationship setup, so I'll be able to keep learning until I can afford to spend that on myself.

Thanks!:D