PDA

View Full Version : Transparent Object Solution

Chernoby
03-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Is there a way to make a transparent object not show through itself and just other objects behind it? Making surface single sided solves only half of my problem as the object is a sheet with folds and some of the polygons of the sheet folds back behind itself. Example attached.

squarewulf
03-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Have you tried playing with translucency?

Ma3rk
03-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Is there a way to make a transparent object not show through itself and just other objects behind it? Making surface single sided solves only half of my problem as the object is a sheet with folds and some of the polygons of the sheet folds back behind itself. Example attached.

We'd also need to know what you're currently using for Light type, GI settings., object settings, etc. Perhaps the sheet should be translucent instead as mentioned?

Slartibartfast
03-07-2015, 01:47 PM
I am not sure what you want to achieve, but my guess is this:
Imagine a ray from the camera through the fabric of your cloaking device. You only want to render it the first time the ray hits the fabric?
That's pretty easy to achive: enable nodes on the fabric surface. add a gradient. Make a key at 0 and 1. Set alpha on key 0 to transparency value (say 50%). On key 1 set alpha to 100%. Now connect [bounces] to input and [alpha] to transparency.

Chernoby
03-07-2015, 06:29 PM
I am not sure what you want to achieve, but my guess is this:
Imagine a ray from the camera through the fabric of your cloaking device. You only want to render it the first time the ray hits the fabric?
That's pretty easy to achive: enable nodes on the fabric surface. add a gradient. Make a key at 0 and 1. Set alpha on key 0 to transparency value (say 50%). On key 1 set alpha to 100%. Now connect [bounces] to input and [alpha] to transparency.

These are the droids I am looking for! It is a cloaking device. I'll try this out as soon as I can. Thanks so much!

Since it's a cloaking device, translucency wouldn't address the issue.

I also tried parenting a camera to in the middle of the sheet to the main camera and rendered an image sequence. Then projection mapped the sequence as a texture onto the sheet. It worked pretty good. But I think Slartibartfast's suggestion is exactly what I needed.

Chernoby
03-07-2015, 08:49 PM
add a gradient. Make a key at 0 and 1. Set alpha on key 0 to transparency value (say 50%). On key 1 set alpha to 100%. Now connect [bounces] to input and [alpha] to transparency.

I think this will work but what node has [bounces] as a trait? Are talking about Ray Cast or Ray Trace or DP Ray Intersect? What goes into the gradient's input parameter?

Shiny_Mike
03-07-2015, 09:39 PM
If your LW is 11.6 or 2015, takes the bounces from the "Input" node that's already there in the editor by default. If older LW (11.5 and before? can't remember) just add a "Spot Info" node.

Chernoby
03-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Done and done. Thanks Shiny and Slartibartfast. It looks great.