PDA

View Full Version : "Friendly" email from Autodesk

MarcusM
03-06-2015, 06:21 AM
In my work we received interesting email from Autodesk:

"Ladies and Gentlemen,
Autodesk customers in EMEA who need help to use the license and want to check whether Autodesk software is used properly, we participate in a special program license compliance. We appreciate the investment in our technology and we want to help maintain control over resources, Autodesk.
One of the first steps to ensure control of the licenses is to control the installed programs. Comparison of the results to the purchased licenses of Autodesk will determine whether you should buy some licenses.
At Autodesk, we know that sometimes comes to unintentional use programs without the appropriate licenses. Sometimes organizations are not aware of exceeding the allowed number of licenses because they do not know the rules of the software or do not have mechanisms for monitoring the number of users. Although unintentional nature of these violations, they can still threaten legal action.
If your company has been unlawful copying or unauthorized use of Autodesk, please take immediate action and purchase the appropriate licenses in the next 30 calendar days.
We want to Autodesk customers have the opportunity to assess the situation of the license and to verify that the software used is legal. That is why we have developed a program that aims to help achieve license compliance. Soon you will contact one of our consultants. License management."

Dodgy
03-07-2015, 05:26 AM
Sounds like a phishing hack attack. The letter isn't good English and they'll contact you, ask you to install some license checking software from their dodgy website and hack you that way.
Could be legit, but it doesn't look like it to me.

Surrealist.
03-07-2015, 07:01 AM
My thoughts exactly.

cagey5
03-07-2015, 01:26 PM
I thought similar but wondered if it was just translation errors if the original was in Polish.

Snosrap
03-07-2015, 09:58 PM
If it doesn't seem professional it isn't. Avoid.

shrox
03-07-2015, 10:04 PM
The "Ladies and Gentlemen" is not professional language for a business message. An advertisement might use that, but not an official notice or communication.

prometheus
03-08-2015, 05:52 AM
Dear customer..donīt buy in to this.

JonW
03-08-2015, 07:16 AM
Agree.

Usual email to empty your bank account.

Markc
03-08-2015, 09:34 AM
As others have said, it looks un-official, if you wanted to participate in such a scheme you could access it through your Autodesk user account.
I am not beginning to assume anything, but if someone had unlicensed Autodesk software installed, and sent a Crash Report, that could cause such an email to be generated (if it was legitimately from Autodesk).

Sensei
03-09-2015, 02:25 AM
I thought similar but wondered if it was just translation errors if the original was in Polish.

Polish has no "the"/"an"/"a", that why I am almost not using "the" because typically have no idea where to put them.. ;)
Above text have them plentiful.

Every4thPixel
03-09-2015, 03:52 AM
Autodesk has a company that handles software compliance issues. If you use software without licenses they will contact you. Not autodesk directly. Most big software developers send statistics to the developers or license monitoring companies(not sure what to call them ;)). You agreed to it in the use agreement during the installation of the software.

MarcusM
03-09-2015, 04:03 AM
Sorry, i should wrote that i translated this directly in google translator! My bad and did not checked after. But you can get the point.
It give strange feeling in first time. I know we have max and maya license. Autodesk take care of their customers ;]

roboman
03-09-2015, 06:10 PM
It was around 15 years ago that I got a kindly letter informing me that I might have used an unregistered ver of Autodesk software to make some animations I had posted some where. They suggested I pay up and register right away to avoid any possible legal action. They claimed to be a representing Autodesk. It was worded very nicely. I, not so nicely, e-mailed them back, informing them the animation had been done in Lightwave and that I was in fact a paid, registered, user of 3DS, Max and Autocad. Never heard any thing back from them and don't know if they did actually represented Autodesk.

50one
03-10-2015, 08:22 AM
It's all legit! Alrady sent them a photocopy of my passport and $50 towards my new license...

digitaldoc
03-10-2015, 07:40 PM
Wait for follow-up from the Kenyan Prince or his heirs.

magiclight
03-12-2015, 06:04 AM
There are usually 3 rules to follow.

1. Does it give your name or user name in the email ? "Dear customer" or anything like it is almost never used from a company you are registered with.
2. Check origin of email, if it goes to a gmail, hotmail or a domain not associated with the company, delete it.
3. If they want to click anywhere, check what the link does, same rule as above.