PDA

View Full Version : please tell me about fprime (from Worley) ?

rednova
03-05-2015, 07:12 AM
Dear Friends:

I seek to specialize in character modeling and animation. And that is why I'm very happy to use sasquatch
and g2, because it will help me texturing the character. I do not really need fprime, but I'm curious about
what it can do for me. Please tell me about fprime.
Thank you !!!!

Every4thPixel
03-05-2015, 09:53 AM
It's a brother of the other dinosaurs you mentioned above. It was awesome in the time but now we have VPR and as far as I know development stopped years ago. If you want a solid work flow I wouldn't use any of the old Worley plugins. G2 is replaced by the node editor and sasquatch by fiberFX and fprime by vpr. I've to say sasquatch results look still better then FiberFX but I don't think it's supported anymore in the latest LW.

Greenlaw
03-05-2015, 10:55 AM
I think if you're using Lightwave 9.6 and earlier, FPrime, G2 and Sasquatch were great plug-ins to have, arguably essential even. But after Lightwave 10, we got VPR, which has much of the capabilities of FPrime and more. The one thing I do miss about FPrime was the 'Photoshop' style of panning and zooming within the camera view. This was extremely useful for spot checking your renders before going to final.

For many users of later versions of Lightwave, especially from 11.5 on up, VPR has more or less (mostly more) replaced FPrime. There are many features in 2015, for example, that will not display properly or at all in FPrime. Some examples: FiberFX, Instances, many material nodes, CS compatibility,...

And VPR continues to improve. Recently we got alpha channel support for VPR animation previews, perhaps a small sign that that the underlying technology in VPR may eventually become LightWave's primary renderer. (That's just a personal opinion--I don't really know what LW3DG's master plan for VPR is.)

G.

OFF
03-05-2015, 11:18 AM
I would say that the FPrime was not quite the same as that of the VPR. FPrime was brute forcing Monte Carlo engine, and the VPR is interpolated Monte Carlo, also greatly curtailed for a quick preview.
If the FPrime could able to render volyumetrics or at least Sasquatch - he still would have been priceless.
I could recommend Octane or Arnold for fast and flicker free rendering in Lightwave.

The Dommo
03-05-2015, 04:11 PM
FPrime does render volumetrics...

Greenlaw
03-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Yes, it rendered Hypervoxels and I think vol lights. No Instances (i.e., HD_ or DP_) or Sasquatch though. I believe that's what OFF meant.

G.

prometheus
03-06-2015, 06:34 AM
Yes, it rendered Hypervoxels and I think vol lights. No Instances (i.e., HD_ or DP_) or Sasquatch though. I believe that's what OFF meant.

G.

I think VPR could handle hypervoxels much better to render interactive ..while fprime was way slower on that, and the other way around for Radiosity scenes.

jasonwestmas
03-06-2015, 07:52 AM
well if you don't care about hair, fur and instancing and lots of render buffer passes Fprime is awesome. I wouldn't use it if you care about the fastest solution but I like the look it has, it has its own appeal like any renderer. G2 can give you pretty accurate gamma correction previews with Fprime too. However a lot of the nodal materials are broken in LW11 so i would try it inside of Lw10.1.

Also, a lot of effects can be rendered elsewhere and then composited into your Fprime shots, just don't expect to do that with motion blur elements that are on your character, it will look odd.

The Dommo
03-11-2015, 10:53 PM
Yes, fair comments. :)

kopperdrake
03-12-2015, 09:35 AM
I do seriously miss the zoom and pan of Fprime - only yesterday I was wishing I had it whilst testing a render out.