PDA

View Full Version : Random Hypervoxel rotations not related to particle rotation, what's up with that?

Spaceboy64
03-05-2015, 04:44 AM
I am using Hypervoxel sprites recently and I notice that the voxels are rotating. I double check that I hadn't mistakenly set keyframes for the particle. No, the particle is not rotating, but the voxel is. I can even see it in wireframe mode, but there is no way to control it and I have no idea what's causing it.

I seem to remember this always being a problem with Hypervoxels. Any ideas?

Thanks!

bazsa73
03-05-2015, 06:43 AM
Click align to path off on the Hypervoxel main panel / geometry tab
---
edit
Is it this erratic random rotation ?

Spaceboy64
03-08-2015, 12:36 AM
It seems to be related to the null they're parented to, but I can't figure it out. The points are not rotating, but the Hypervoxels are. Here's the animation

http://youtu.be/0BsuXvJAaro?t=16s

bazsa73
03-08-2015, 04:15 AM
I should see the scene.

Greenlaw
03-08-2015, 04:22 AM
Is there any camera motion? Hypervoxel sprites are oriented to camera so if the camera has any rotation it will make the sprites appear to rotate.

I ran into this about 14 years ago on an anime project. I was using hand painted tree and grass images as HV sprites on a point cloud I created from the terrain mesh. At the time, this seemed like a good idea--sort of an early version of instancing. This seemed to work fine in a lot of shots but I had one shot where the camera did a whip pan on a speeding vehicle and, as the camera settled on the other side, the trees appeared to rotate. This drove me nuts for half a day before I figured out it was the camera banking that caused the HV sprites rotation. I killed the banking towards the end of the camera motion and the trees look fine.

G.

P.S., to be clear, the sprites aren't actually rotating in this situation because the sprites orientation is fixed relative to the camera. So what's happening is that when the camera is banking the sprites will appear to rotate relative to the rest of the scene. I'm not 100% sure that's what's happening in your scene but when you mentioned Hypervoxel sprites, it reminded me of this issue.

Greenlaw
03-08-2015, 04:36 AM
On further thought, the issue I mentioned might only happen when you use image based Hypervoxel sprites. I'm not completely sure this happens with sprites procedurally generated by Hypervoxels. Maybe...just not sure about it.

Spaceboy64
03-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks. It doesn't seem to be related to camera rotation, or sprites facing the camera. Yes, these are procedural sprites. It's only noticeable on some, right before they snap into position on their last keyframe. You can see them spinning.

MonroePoteet
03-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Do the procedurals for the ones that rotate have a Reference Object defined, perhaps?

Nice animation, BTW.

mTp

bazsa73
03-08-2015, 03:58 PM
It is caused by "align to path" on the Hypervoxel panel. I tested it right now.