PDA

View Full Version : Substance Dsigner Suite Goes Live!

Surrealist.
03-04-2015, 05:27 PM
Wow man this GDC is on fire this year. A battle for for free software Unreal and Source2, CEO of Unity using the F word in a PR statemen (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-03-03-theres-no-royalties-no-f-ing-around-riccitiello)t... lol

And now this:

https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-live

Pretty cool. I was just getting ready to drop some cash on it.

Actually to be fair, the price on the v4 bundle was 249 for the indie yesterday if I remember correctly so it has gone up 50 bucks. But then again they just got development "finished" on Substance Painter after a long beta so... what the heck. Lots of power in that software.

vonpietro
03-04-2015, 06:27 PM
substance painter is really nice =)

toddd240
03-04-2015, 07:01 PM
That is a really good deal.....sort of in house financing....

Surrealist.
03-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Just DL the Painter trial and having a look. I think I could get hooked on this workflow. And the non-destructive nature of Designer puts Quixel (which I use now) to shame. I am going to put it to work on a current project that will benefit from this workflow. See how it goes.

bobakabob
03-14-2015, 02:57 AM
These apps look fantastic. Can anyone advise though, what are the key differences between Painter and Designer? I'm looking to create texture maps in Lightwave (not games) and assumed you could 'paint' in Designer as well as create procedurals.

Surrealist.
03-14-2015, 03:39 AM
Painter is a painting app and Designer is not. You do have some basic 2D painting tools you can use in a 2D window. Also some basic vector tools. These you can use for anything of course. A decent assortment of brushes but of course it is not going to replace other 2D tools. Just nice to have right there to work on maps for your substance and so on. I have not done the training on Painter yet. But there is a link between the two as I understand.

The main difference is two workflows. One you are going everything with nodes and maps and the other with painting tools. I think they complement each other well.