PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Sasquatch ( from Worley) ?

rednova
03-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Dear Friends:

I have been using sasquatch a little bit (along with lw 9.6 ) and I know I'm only scratching the surface.
BUt I am very happy with it, and got some excellent results.
My questions are:
Anyone used sasquatch and what do you think about it ?
Any problems, or tips ?
Have you used sasquatch on an animation, and did it work ?
I look forward to hear from you !!!

jwiede
03-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Entering "sasquatch" in the forum search field returned a couple dozen threads, almost all relevant to your question.

Ma3rk
03-03-2015, 10:26 PM
The only problem with Sasquatch is that you can't use it with image based lighting. There's a check box for it to do so, but it doesn't respond. I wrote Worley a few weeks ago and it doesn't sound as if there are any plans to update it to do so. Quite unfortunate.

Kryslin
03-04-2015, 12:09 AM
Sasquatch is far easier to set up and get good enough results from than FiberFX. It shows it's strength with short, dense coats of fur. However, there are more than a few limitations - no reflections, no IBL, UV maps must be with the 0...1 domain, and Sasquatch does funny things if points in a mesh are not assigned a UV / vertex weight/color map, but others are. One sure fire way to kill render times is to use Sasquatch with ray traced shadows; It works much better using shadow maps, but that requires it's own lighting set up....

As far as animation goes... I can't say. I think there are some video examples on Worley's site, and the one spinner I did, the fur followed the animation properly, with a little flick lagging behind the dog's wagging tail... so it looked good enough,

Greenlaw
03-04-2015, 01:14 AM
I used Sasquatch on many dozens of jobs for over 10 years, ranging from cartoons (Crash Bandicoot, Banjo Kazooie,) to somewhat more realistic human characters. In 2000, Sasquatch was really ahead of its time and there are a few things I do miss about it. For animal fur, it had a pretty neat trick for combing away from a defined single point defined by a surface. The method wasn't really accurate but it was usually good enough when I was in a hurry (which I almost always am.) It also did a nice job covering large areas with fibers, making it idea for large grassy fields.

The main issues with Sasquatch nowadays is that it's not fully compatible with Perspective Camera and it uses shadow maps which tend to flicker. It could also be a bit tricky to light so I always broke it out in into its own layer pass to avoid that situation entirely. Which reminds me, it could be a pain to break it out into its own layer with a separate shadow pass, which I was always asked to do. The biggest shortcoming with Sasquatch was that we couldn't get motion vectors from Sasquatch fibers--we always had to fake that by expanding vector data in comp from the character pass or proxy hair geometry--not terribly accurate but it usually did the job.

Motion vector support was one of the key reasons I switched to FiberFX a couple of years ago--motion blur from FiberFX motion vectors look fantastic. Also, I never liked the tiny preview window inside the Sasquatch panel for dialing in surface settings. It was just too small to be really useful. With FiberFX I can at least use VPR to dial in my surface settings.

All that said, Sasquatch got me through a lot of 'hairy' jobs from 2001 - 2011, and I was very happy to have it. :)

Bonus Triva: Ironically, way back in 9.6 days, I was using FiberFX Strand Modeler to create hair guides for Sasquatch. I used this technique in a commercial for a game called The Bourne Conspiracy and cinematics for a game called Saboteur.

G.

Every4thPixel
03-05-2015, 04:13 AM
I've used it in the past until my dinosaur ate it :(