PDA

View Full Version : Re-experiencing Star Wars

djwaterman
03-03-2015, 07:29 AM
I just finished watching the "Despecialized" edition of Star Wars, the lovingly re-grafted restoration that is the closest we'll ever get to viewing the original 70's release short of using
a time machine. It was worth the massive 17 gig download to see the film I remembered from days gone by. Yeah I sat and watched the entire end credits with tears welling in my eyes and that
magnificent John Williams orchestration washing over me.

Firstly, what a masterpiece, you have Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing, Harrison Ford, a feisty Carrie Fisher, the voice of James Earl Jones and yes, let's hear it for Mark Hamill, who's
totally invested performance is the soul of the movie. I have to admit, I'd forgotten that I actually loved this film, and the later "improved" version helped erase any good feelings I might
still might have had. In my memory I'd formed a version that didn't stack up to much, corny, childish, a faddish sensation that was over hyped, other sci-fi films that followed were superior.

No, I was wrong. The film I just watched is a dynamic and classic exercise in what an adventure film can be, it picked me up and took me to a place a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, it
held true to that first promise.

One must credit the young George Lucas as a visionary film maker, despite cornball dialogue he delivered iconic and stunning images, the framing absolutely perfect for each shot, and the
pacing of the entire film is note perfect, you wouldn't change a thing (oh George, why did you?). He obviously knew what he was doing with his casting, both in front of the camera and behind it.
If one squints through the magic you can almost detect the flop that might have been had John Williams not over delivered with his life saving score, but it was all there, Lucas got it all up
on screen, Ralph McQuarrie's concept paintings were brought to life and looked like real places with actual history.

It's easy to forget he was once a significant film maker, an original and singular talent, this would be his last film as a director, the mammoth success of the title ensured he be forever
consigned to keeper of the flame, I miss the other films that might have been had he just taken the royalties and moved on. But none of that takes away from the spectacular achievement and
emotional journey this movie was and still is if seen in it original form.

All those digital improvements were wasted interference on something that needed nothing more than a good print and sound restoration, the film is so well made and the story so well told that it
survives any matte lines or visibly seams or whatever it was that Lucas felt the need to fix up. In fact those very things make me love the movie as a movie, a piece of work.

I think this is the only Star Wars I want, it was always that first one that got my attention and fired my imagination, I didn't really enjoy any of the sequels and certainly despised the
prequels, can't even say I'm too interested in the upcoming film either. Can lightning strike twice in the same spot?
Thanks to the dedicated teamsters, curators or whoever you are that put this thing together and got it out there.

hazmat777
03-03-2015, 08:20 AM
I remember waiting for the lights to dim in the theater on my second viewing when I was 8 years old. The excitement was enough to make me want to jump up and down and do jumping jacks.

I have the THX Laserdics of the OT but I think Star Wars has the "A New Hope" thing in the opening scroll that wasn't in the pure version. Other than that I think they are the originals.

Maybe Disney will do one of the smartest things ever and finish the restoration of the original footage, dump the "enhanced" footage and release it in 4K and on blu-ray.

By the way, if you ever want to see the absolute original version of THX 1138, it's at the Special Collections Department at the University of Washington. It came into my hands through a former filmaker that used the same processing facility that Lucas used. I got nervous about keeping it and donated to the University so anyone can view it on request.

bazsa73
03-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Is it an official release?

hazmat777
03-03-2015, 08:33 AM
Is it an official release?

If your question was for me, then I'm actually not sure. The film reel canister was from the area in California where Lucas was studying and it has "Head Print" written on the leader of the reel. I've got pictures posted somewhere on this NewTek site. Or I can post them again. It's obvious that it was from the era and the company that did the processing has been long out of business.

djwaterman
03-03-2015, 08:46 AM
Are you talking about the original student film before it was re-worked into a feature film release?

hazmat777
03-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Are you talking about the original student film before it was re-worked into a feature film release?

Yes. It was the original film submitted as a thesis as far as I know. The director of the department just about had a heart attack when I actually showed up with it and signed the papers to donate it ! It actually cracked up a little bit because it was like something from Indiana Jones when the receptionist found out what it was she gasped and said, "Oh my God! "

bazsa73
03-03-2015, 10:31 AM
If your question was for me, then I'm actually not sure. The film reel canister was from the area in California where Lucas was studying and it has "Head Print" written on the leader of the reel. I've got pictures posted somewhere on this NewTek site. Or I can post them again. It's obvious that it was from the era and the company that did the processing has been long out of business.

Thanks.

stiff paper
03-03-2015, 11:39 AM
I think this is the only Star Wars I want...
It's definitely the only Star Wars I've ever wanted. For years after RotJ happened I told people -if they brought up Star Wars- that I'd happily delete ESB from reality if it meant I could delete Jedi too. I probably got ten years of disbelief and sometimes even anger and shouting because, you know, ESB is the best. Everybody knows that. If you don't think so you're just a f****** a****** and f*** y**. Far too many people are kind of pathetic when it comes to Star Wars.

These days if somebody raises the topic I can't find it in me to care on any level. Oh, you mean those movies aimed at infants?

It's about the feel. It's always about the feel. Unfortunately, most people are oblivious to feel and are perfectly happy if they get a few explosions, a couple of fight sequences, and three jokes.

...can't even say I'm too interested in the upcoming film either.
Well, it's being produced by people whose only reason for making it is to trick the gullible public into handing over money in exchange for soulless, converyor-belt corporate product, and it's being directed by a vapid man with a facile grasp of storytelling who couldn't create something that truly captured "feel" if his very life depended on it.

Megalodon2.0
03-03-2015, 04:36 PM
Well, it's being produced by people whose only reason for making it is to trick the gullible public into handing over money in exchange for soulless, converyor-belt corporate product, and it's being directed by a vapid man with a facile grasp of storytelling who couldn't create something that truly captured "feel" if his very life depended on it.

It's great to know that you can look into the mindset of people - or is it the soul(?) - and KNOW without a doubt that their entire reason for making a sequel is nothing but money. It certainly couldn't be that some would like to continue to saga and tell a real story. No... of course not. Because as we all know... Disney never produces anything of worth and they could never capture that "feel" that you so desire.

Unbelievable.

HarverdGrad
03-03-2015, 08:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Megalodon2.0
03-04-2015, 12:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

And what does this have to do with Disney?

Answer: Nothing.

shrox
03-04-2015, 12:59 AM
Yes. It was the original film submitted as a thesis as far as I know. The director of the department just about had a heart attack when I actually showed up with it and signed the papers to donate it ! It actually cracked up a little bit because it was like something from Indiana Jones when the receptionist found out what it was she gasped and said, "Oh my God! "

Excellent, and thanks.

stiff paper
03-04-2015, 01:45 AM
-(snip)- Unbelievable.
My views are based on having worked within the Hollywood system for years and years. On having worked directly with big name directors, with less well known directors, and with completely unknown directors. On having worked with uncountable numbers of intermediary people that function between the level of studio exec and... oh, I don't know... craft services.

What are your views based on?

Megalodon2.0
03-04-2015, 02:13 AM
My views are based on having worked within the Hollywood system for years and years. On having worked directly with big name directors, with less well known directors, and with completely unknown directors. On having worked with uncountable numbers of intermediary people that function between the level of studio exec and... oh, I don't know... craft services.

People and storytellers who want to tell a story.

When you tell me that you personally know JJ Abrams and all of the executives that are working on the new Star Wars movies and say that all they care about is the making of money and not telling a good story... then I'll believe you. Otherwise... no.

stiff paper
03-04-2015, 04:40 AM
People and...
Ah. Wishful thinking and a complete lack of facts or experience. Gotcha. I think we're done here.

(Also, your interpersonal skills come across as a bit... sour. In ninety percent of cases there's no need to be quite so attacking. Oh, but wait, what am I thinking? You already know this, having been told so numerous times on various forums.)

HarverdGrad
03-04-2015, 05:26 AM
And what does this have to do with Disney?

Answer: Nothing.

I never implied it had anything to do with Disney(?)
I was agreeing with the OP that the original Star Wars was great.. the rest of it not so much.
Peace & Love Megalodon2.0. Not every thread here is a attacking ya.

bazsa73
03-04-2015, 06:20 AM
I wish this age of endless remakes and sequels was over, as well as the mindless usage of CGI and post. That's one reason
I only watch pre 90's movies almost exclusively.

Greenlaw
03-04-2015, 09:09 AM
I loved Star Wars. Even the original sequels but that first one was really special. It wasn't just the movie--in 1977 the entire world had gone absolutely Star Wars crazy for years to follow. Hollywood has been trying to recreate that global phenomenon ever since but I think it was one of those things that can't be artificially planned and created--it just happens.

For me, the 'star' began to tarnish when the first round of 'Special Editions' came out in the late '90s. I was pretty excited at the time, especially since I was seeing the first one at the famed Chinese Theater. During the movie, however, I felt a emptiness. Leaving the theater I realized I was officially burnt out on Star Wars and I never bothered to see the other 'Special Editions.' Emotionally, I had nothing left to give to the 'franchise'.

After that, I guess I still liked Star Wars but it got really hard for me to get excited about it anymore.

Then in 2011 I did get a little excited about Star Wars again. The Box got the assignment to create cinematics for Star Wars Kinect and I was asked to design some vehicles, hardware and environments for it. That was really cool...I mean, I know it's not like I was working on the movies but I had a lot of fun making my mark in that galaxy far, far away.

I drew this 'Brudders' cartoon at that time. I thought my co-workers would find it funny because we were working really hard and we were really tired. TBH, though, I was anything but bored during that job.

Star Snores (http://www.littlegreendog.com/comics/brudders/brudders054.php#.VPcf8OGlHzI)

I really haven't paid much attention to the upcoming movie but then I really don't pay attention the giant hype machine in general. I find marketing and media saturation really gets in my way for enjoying anything these days, so I avoid it completely. When the new movie arrives, I want to see it without any prejudice or expectations...well, as much as possible anyways. :D

G.

Greenlaw
03-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Coincidentally, my wife Alisa painted this over the weekend.

She had just finished painting 'tiki' posters for a school benefit, and as a lark she did one just for fun with Darth Vader. It got a lot of nice comments so she decided to do a couple more but keeping it to only characters from the first movie. Somehow Yoda sneaked in there so then she decided to keep it to the original trilogy.

She says she's really done now though, so there's probably no more to come. (Isn't that what Lucas said?) :)

G.

Megalodon2.0
03-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Ah. Wishful thinking and a complete lack of facts or experience. Gotcha. I think we're done here.

(Also, your interpersonal skills come across as a bit... sour. In ninety percent of cases there's no need to be quite so attacking. Oh, but wait, what am I thinking? You already know this, having been told so numerous times on various forums.)

Oh that hurts. :D

So in YOUR view, all movies made are not for any decent storytelling purposes, ONLY money and...

And I say ALL movies because you say:

So YOU must know that ALL movies and ALL directors and ALL producers are just scum who want to take our money and not tell a decent story? I would characterize that as a GROSS exaggeration and over generalization. But apparently you won't see it that way since you KNOW that the next Star Wars movie is being made by the scum of Hollywood who just want to give us crap and take our money.

But let's just say that you only meant the new Star Wars movie... so you DO know these execs? And you do know JJ Abrams and his motivations? You think that he (and they) are ONLY concerned with grabbing our money and not telling a decent story? I pretty much stand by original assessment.

I may have bad interpersonal skills, but you certainly have zero objectivity. :D

How about seeing lots of movies that have been made - and some recently - that are pretty darn good? But I'm sure that was just an accident and they just wanted to take our money and not tell a good story. Those darn directors and producers... :boogiedow

Chris S. (Fez)
03-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Coincidentally, my wife Alisa painted this over the weekend.

G.

This is awesome!

erikals
03-04-2015, 02:14 PM
that's Amazing Greenlaw...! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

----------

don't fight with Mega, he will just win... nothing you can do, move along.... move along...

Greenlaw
03-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys. I'll forward the responses. :)

G.

hazmat777
03-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys. I'll forward the responses. :)

G.

A poster of that (with permission of course) might be really popular. I'd love one printed on fiber paper.

Greenlaw
03-04-2015, 02:52 PM
I'll let her know. Several people expressed interest in a print so she's considering a limited signed and number run.

hazmat777
03-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Please keep us updated! :)

Megalodon2.0
03-04-2015, 03:12 PM
I never implied it had anything to do with Disney(?)
I was agreeing with the OP that the original Star Wars was great.. the rest of it not so much.
Peace & Love Megalodon2.0. Not every thread here is a attacking ya.

Well that's good to know. ;)

djwaterman
03-04-2015, 11:56 PM
My main purpose with this post was to let people know that the original SW (as close as can be) is out there and worth the effort to acquire.

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/topic/12713/

Perhaps the same people will also work on a despecialized edition of THX 1138. Or are there un-altered versions out there already? I'm just assuming they are no longer available since Lucas did new work on that classic too.

Iain
03-05-2015, 02:37 AM
Very interesting.

It's funny, I have the VHS box set in pristine condition. Not even close to the original version but pre-'improvements'.
I have no means of watching them but can't bear to throw them out.

Danner
03-05-2015, 03:46 AM
The box set is a collectible, don't throw them out. Too bad the magnetic tape in VHS degrades over time, there will be nothing but noise there in a decade or so.

Iain
03-05-2015, 05:07 AM
The box set is a collectible, don't throw them out. Too bad the magnetic tape in VHS degrades over time, there will be nothing but noise there in a decade or so.

It'll be a quaint conversation piece one day.
Stupidly, I did throw out my vinyl lps. I didn't have many but it was an eclectic range and Vinyl is back (again) with good, affordable players. Hindsight!

hazmat777
03-05-2015, 08:25 AM
My main purpose with this post was to let people know that the original SW (as close as can be) is out there and worth the effort to acquire.

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/topic/12713/

Perhaps the same people will also work on a despecialized edition of THX 1138. Or are there un-altered versions out there already? I'm just assuming they are no longer available since Lucas did new work on that classic too.

That web site is a little confusing and leads to one not in English but I think I got it figured out and am downloading now. Can't wait to check it out ! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I haadn't heard of this project before. :)

adrian
03-06-2015, 04:10 AM
Talking of the original trilogy, I have this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Empire-Building-Remarkable-Real-Life-Story/dp/080651941X

which is an absolutely brilliant read. It describes the making of the first films, the trials and tribulations and ultimately the triumph. Awesome, gave me goose bumps reading it! Also I've just bought this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sculpting-Galaxy-Inside-%2522Star-Wars%2522/dp/1933784032/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425640124&sr=1-1&keywords=sculpting+a+galaxy

which I can't wait to read. Can you tell I'm a SW nut??

hazmat777
03-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Talking of the original trilogy, I have this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Empire-Building-Remarkable-Real-Life-Story/dp/080651941X

which is an absolutely brilliant read. It describes the making of the first films, the trials and tribulations and ultimately the triumph. Awesome, gave me goose bumps reading it! Also I've just bought this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sculpting-Galaxy-Inside-%2522Star-Wars%2522/dp/1933784032/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425640124&sr=1-1&keywords=sculpting+a+galaxy

which I can't wait to read. Can you tell I'm a SW nut??

Sculpting a Galaxy is a FANTASTIC book and think any Star Wars fan would be happy to own it.

CaptainMarlowe
03-07-2015, 04:20 AM
It'll be a quaint conversation piece one day.
Stupidly, I did throw out my vinyl lps. I didn't have many but it was an eclectic range and Vinyl is back (again) with good, affordable players. Hindsight!

I still have them ! They survived years of playing on horrendous orange kitsch players, and they still sound quite right on my modern player (which is quite high end, this said), and to some extent, even better than the DSD-remasterized CDs that were released in the early 2000s. I even still have the poster that came inside the double-LP. :D

adrian
03-13-2015, 09:03 AM
Sculpting A Galaxy arrived today and it's so good I can only describe it as Star Wars porn!

Greenlaw
04-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Hi guys,

My wife Alisa had fine art prints made of her Star Wars tiki painting and it looks fantastic. There’s a lot of detail in the art that I had not noticed in the screen res art she showed me earlier (see below.) I would purchase one myself but sadly the artist won't let me.

Anyway, since some of you in this thread asked about the prints, here’s the scoop:

Hello All,

Some of you expressed interest in buying my tiki illustrations (please see attachment). I printed a small, limited run of 50 prints with about 30 already spoken for. I want to open up the remaining prints to our friends and fans of Star Wars..

The prints arrived today and they look awesome - the subtleties of the original artwork really come through on this paper (an archival matte with a brilliant feel to the touch). I couldn't be happier with the quality. Each signed and numbered print is $40 (framing and mailing may be available for an additional cost).

All profits made from your purchases go towards our daughter's orthodontic work. Yes, the kid needs braces... So, know that not only will you be getting a cool piece of artwork, you'll also be helping to keep my kid's teeth in her head - and for that we will all be grateful.

Thank you so much!!

Alisa Loren Klein

If you're interested in buying a print, PM me with your email address and I'll pass the info on to Alisa so you guys can work out the details.

And now, to keep this message 'on-topic': Remember when I said I was so over Star Wars? Well, dammit, I saw the second trailer last week and now I'm excited about the movie. Dammit, dammit, dammit! :D

G.

Davewriter
04-21-2015, 07:47 PM
Tiki? As in for some Tiki madness at Creature Features?
https://www.facebook.com/events/418576168319460/

tekvsmajix
05-09-2015, 09:16 PM
When I was younger, I was a big fan of the Star Wars CCG (collectable card game). Star Wars CCG did a great job of capturing the essence of the Star Wars universe. One player would play as the light side, and the other player as the dark side. The objective of the game was essentially to make it so your opponent ran out of cards in their deck. This was done by controlling locations (i.e. having characters at sites, and ships at systems, where your opponent has none), and through battles (ground or space battles). The sites and systems are laid out in a row in the middle of the table. A player's characters and ships are placed at sites and systems respectively, on the half of the table closest to them.

tekvsmajix
05-09-2015, 09:22 PM
A few months ago, someone uploaded the deleted scenes for each of the original trilogy Star Wars movies.

A New Hope, has a rather special deleted scene, where Luke is visiting his friends at Tosche station on Tatooine (a place not shown in the final cut), including Biggs Darklighter (an x-wing pilot who dies in the battle of Yavin) who tells Luke that he has joined the Rebellion.

Star Wars: A New Hope - Deleted Scenes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f00IkrWvur4)

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - Deleted Scenes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQEiNJnkQAw)

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - Deleted Scenes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1qyXxLIXLw)

tekvsmajix
05-09-2015, 09:38 PM
I watched this a few days ago:
Star Wars episode VII The Force Awakens, live panel from Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim (http://unlistedvideos.com/v/youtube-3bZUUfW6FvE.html)

It is an unlisted Youtube video (http://unlistedvideos.com/), from the official Star Wars YouTube channel, of a full live stream of a panel which included:

Writer/director/producer J.J. Abrams and Producer Kathleen Kennedy
New cast members Daisy Ridley (Rey), John Boyega (Finn), and Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron)
Old cast members Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa), Anthony Daniels (C3PO), and Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca).
and droids, R2D2 and BB-8.

The actual footage doesn't start until a little over the 2 hour mark.