PDA

View Full Version : LW8 December ScreenShots

Pages : [1] 2 3

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 06:36 AM
Here is a peak at the new and improved Scene Editor......

This pic shows how you can edit multiple Surfaces at one time....speeds up workflow alot IMHO.

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 06:37 AM
And the long awaited Dope Sheet....a must have for any animator...

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 06:38 AM
And for you expression junkies....here is a nice treat

siproductions
12-02-2003, 06:45 AM
THANKS PROTON!!!!!!! :D :D :D

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 06:46 AM
Scale Hierarchy in action....this one is top on my list of super cool features....

trick
12-02-2003, 06:47 AM
:) I'm out celebrating:)

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Import Rig sneak peek

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 06:52 AM
and...

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 06:53 AM
and one more for importing a rig file

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 06:53 AM
ooops...almost forgot...you have to expot a RIG file in order to have something to import :P

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 06:54 AM
So your not limited to exporting an entire setup....you could choose to just export/import just an arm setup....or just a foot setup....pretty cool if you ask me :)

juanjgon
12-02-2003, 06:58 AM
:) come on ... dont stop :)

Incredible feautures ... thanks for information ...

Regards,
Juan J. Gonzalez

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 06:59 AM
New and improved Vertex Map Panel....

Karl Hansson
12-02-2003, 07:09 AM
more...more...MORE!!! Keep'em comming.

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 07:11 AM
I'll let these soak in for a bit....then I will post more....there is alot to take in in just those few images :)

cresshead
12-02-2003, 07:14 AM
if this WAS an advent calender....PROTON has a time machine!
[for those who read to other thread!]

cheers for the pics..lw8 is looking "awesome" [an american term]
...here in the U.K. we'd say it looks "spondishus".

thanks

pixelranger
12-02-2003, 07:25 AM
Geat Proton!! My jaw just fell down to the floor!!

And who better to pose as a calendar girl than our own Leigh :D

badllarma
12-02-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by cresshead

cheers for the pics..lw8 is looking "awesome" [an american term]
...here in the U.K. we'd say it looks "spondishus".
thanks

OR
Dam fine pictures my man, looking forward to spending some time with the old girl once she is finally released. :D

Jeeves the car please, best get the Christmas shopping out of the way before the big 8 is released what, wha wha wha. :D

Nemoid
12-02-2003, 07:30 AM
PROTON is da man!!! :)

eacide
12-02-2003, 07:35 AM
Good series of screenshots

Lightwave is progressively getting the tools that we need. That is quite a good new.

It is also interesting to see that everything work even with a rig from ACS4...

By the way, does the current version of ACS4 work with [8] ?

Wade
12-02-2003, 07:37 AM
And in Texas - That dog will hunt! :)

badllarma
12-02-2003, 07:40 AM
Just out of intrest what are the C- and C+ next to the names of object etc within the pannels?

Is there another drop down next to view?
Camera, Texture View, new drop down?

cooooool stuff there Proton all we need now is a release date :D

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 07:44 AM
A little edge beveling here....

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 07:44 AM
after edge bevel....

Dodgy
12-02-2003, 07:46 AM
MMMM Yummy. Presumably the old surface editor is still there? Or has that been streamlined too?

Can you multi edit a channel for a surface attribute too?

JohnD
12-02-2003, 07:47 AM
Now that's what I'm talking about.:D

sketchyjay
12-02-2003, 07:47 AM
Proton,

I noticed that there are 3 dot positions on the dope sheet. What do they mean?

Also do we have to have the channels open to this extent or can we just move MeadGoal_CTL and have all the tran, rot & scal channels move as one?

Looks amazing.

REally like the expression editor and the fact it now says what render mode we are in on the windows.

If you can could you see if you can get permission to show us the new open GL options that I heard that would be included.

I like the overall feel of the interface, buttons and so on.

BTW, I'm done soaking :D

Jay

sketchyjay
12-02-2003, 07:49 AM
Wow even more before I could finish posting....

Edge tools, great news

Jay

Dodgy
12-02-2003, 07:51 AM
C+ And C- seemto indicate the opening and folding of the channels of the object in the scene view.

Does edgebevelling work with vmaps? Interpolating them properly? DAZ edgebevel did this, but it wouldn't handle vmaps properly :P

robinson
12-02-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by proton
And the long awaited Dope Sheet

:) I want (need) this dope sheet right away !

Thanxs for the little update William :)

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 08:13 AM
Handy little render setting

mav3rick
12-02-2003, 08:17 AM
proton:) congrat keep on this way and we will have cool app.....
how about this, particle editor to look like EXPRESION builder you showed here
so we can simple drag and drop all settings in shematic like editor for particle simulation connect what should happen in wich moment and so...
this would be ultimate also:)

sorry my bad eng

pixelranger
12-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Christmas just keeps looking better and better!

Really looks like you've done a great job, Proton.

btw... a screenshot of the Surface Editor would be extremely cool. I know that you may not be able to show it yet, it's just a suggestion.

TSpyrison
12-02-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by pixelranger
Christmas just keeps looking better and better!

Really looks like you've done a great job, Proton.

btw... a screenshot of the Surface Editor would be extremely cool. I know that you may not be able to show it yet, it's just a suggestion.

Ditto!

Matt
12-02-2003, 08:25 AM
Big, smile, biiiiiiiiiiig smile!

Matt
12-02-2003, 08:41 AM
. . . wait, is that what I think it is? It can't be, OMG it is! It's the Commodore logo, surely proof that LightWave is returning to its roots! ;)

Matt
12-02-2003, 08:43 AM
. . . and can we assume that because the Render settings panel is faded out that there could be even more surprises on that panel?

;)

Dodgy
12-02-2003, 08:44 AM
LOL

Okay.....

I did notice the c+/c- on the surface editor too. Does this mean you have multi edit access to the textures in a surface too? They only appear on surface with textures applied to them....

You can kind of multi edit them now, but this looks simpler....

TSpyrison
12-02-2003, 08:51 AM
Maybe its homage to the old Commodore Amiga…
(kinda looks like the Commodore logo to me..)

:D

Matt
12-02-2003, 08:52 AM
A little edge beveling here....

please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, tell me you can do that with real dimensions, i.e. mm, cm etc. and not just by percentage and I'll be very happy indeed! :)

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 08:53 AM
a Little Multi Mirroring in Layout....and that will wrap up todays tour of screenshots :)

TSpyrison
12-02-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Matt
. . . wait, is that what I think it is? It can't be, OMG it is! It's the Commodore logo, surely proof that LightWave is returning to its roots! ;)

Doh!

I didn't see.. you got that before I did..

Matt
12-02-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by TSpyrison
Maybe its homage to the old Commodore Amiga…
(kinda looks like the Commodore logo to me..)

erm, it IS the old Commodore logo, that's the point! The 'C-' icon looks like the old Commodore logo at that scale (and blurred)!

:)

cresshead
12-02-2003, 08:59 AM
...me happy...

mirrors in layout...cool
i'm hoping for a drag copy in layout...with multiples copied apart at the drag distance from the origonal like in 3dsmax....

would be great if you could...in layout or modeler

cheers proton you certainly made day 2 of advent one to remember!

steve g;)

Exper
12-02-2003, 09:08 AM
. . . wait, is that what I think it is? It can't be, OMG it is! It's the Commodore logo, surely proof that LightWave is returning to its roots! ;) Eternal life both to Proton and Commodore Amiga! :D

Bye.

anieves
12-02-2003, 09:09 AM
oh man, 8 is looking super cool. It is on my christmas list for sure!

edit--

he, he, I just noticed that "users browsing forum" quadrupled at this time.... hummm, wonder why;)

js33
12-02-2003, 09:24 AM
Wow the screenshots are great. Notice how much the mood improved in here when you guys release a little bit of info.

Now if we can just have the full thing. :D

Cheers,
JS

mcewan7
12-02-2003, 09:32 AM
I enjoyed the edge beveling the best :p

Oh please release this app soon.........but only if its ready of course.......just lock those programmers up until they have finished!

VirtualFM
12-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Nice stuff!

Nobody mentioned it yet, but I was very happy with the range type in the render options panel. Actually I shouted 'About time!' :p

Looking forward to play with the expression editor as well.

I hope you keep keleasing a bunch of those things per day 'til when L8 ships, Proton ;)

PS: nice touch with the C= Logo, Matt! :D You could italicize(?) the 'A' in the top left corner (near the eye) to be like Amiga too :-)

RiGLEY
12-02-2003, 09:43 AM
Wow , it looks soo goood , thanks Proton for the pics ! :)

Mike Pauza
12-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Wow, Visual Expressions!!! Is that Amelie?

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Mike Pauza
Wow, Visual Expressions!!! Is that Amelie?

No...it just so happens that NewTek was developing it at the same time....great minds think alike I guess

facial deluxe
12-02-2003, 10:22 AM
Licking my screen atm :D

3D|Dave
12-02-2003, 10:25 AM
The interface looks much better. Lighter and a little touch of color.

Nice.

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by facial deluxe

Yikes:eek:

tgraph
12-02-2003, 10:49 AM
yep loock nice

but render engine, render speed is UP :o ????

DigiLusionist
12-02-2003, 10:52 AM
After seeing Proton's posts, I am reminded of Antwon's famous quip on "In Living Color,"

"There's nothing wrong with being a little chubby... or with having one..."

TSpyrison
12-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by facial deluxe

Cant you get shocked doing that?

Kvaalen
12-02-2003, 11:04 AM
These screen shots look awsome!!!
After a whole day of not being at home I come to my computer in the evening and I almost fell out of my chair (luckly it has arm rests).

Every thing you posted looks great Proton!
In my opinion LW [8] is going to come out very very soon (sooner than we suspected I hope) if they are trying to get us exited about it (which they have).

I was planning on going on vacation this christmas, now it looks like I'm going to lock myself up in a room for the whole time. Ofcourse I'll make sure I have enough food and drink.

Keep on posting Proton! I know I already said this, but this is awsome!!!

BTW, glad to see some of the improvments in Modeler. Now who was it who said (and we all knew was false) that modeler wasn't being developed any more? OK, we all know who it was, but I'd like to know who pays him.

facial deluxe
12-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Cant you get shocked doing that?

My hair are just a little straight because of static electricity, overal taste good ;)

thekho
12-02-2003, 11:28 AM
Wow, looks COOL!!!

More...More...please :D

KillMe
12-02-2003, 11:31 AM
well not entirely sure this shows alot of devolpemt in modeler - as someone pointed out already daz edgebeveldoes exact what was shown and clearly since its selecting point for the edge bevel edges are not included =( and the vertex map controls well nice but not ground breaking

that said i am emensly excited about lw 8 =) and while modeler might not have gotten quite so much attension its already awesome and the work on layout well damn its awesome

as for modeler well i'd take a add edge tool with afew extras and 5 point poly sub d's for cutting without it jumping back to polys

and when working in sub d's it would be nice if you could get modeler to forget the actual postion of the points and just let you use the ones where they appear to be

( i always have the sub d cage turned off and i as offena s not select more points than i want cause i'm catching the acauly postions too )

Matt
12-02-2003, 11:33 AM
I have heard a rumour regarding radiosity, but I'll leave it to NewTek to announce new features!

P.S. I really hope it's not a rumour! :)

Matt
12-02-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by 3D|Dave
The interface looks much better. Lighter and a little touch of color.

[picky designer mode on]Colours - don't mind, the visual style is kinda okay knowing what they have to work with (old code) but I have an issue with the size of those scroll gadgets!!![/picky designer mode off]

Workflow is looking good though! Thumbs up from me!

:)

Librarian
12-02-2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks Proton! :)

ArtisticVisions
12-02-2003, 11:52 AM
This might not have been talked about yet, but does anyone know exactly when is LW 8 coming out?
Before Christmas? After?

DaveW
12-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by sketchyjay

I noticed that there are 3 dot positions on the dope sheet. What do they mean?

I was curious about this too. My guess is they let you know which keys are fractional.

TSpyrison
12-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ArtisticVisions
This might not have been talked about yet, but does anyone know exactly when is LW 8 coming out?
Before Christmas? After?

Bwa ha ha ha... My favorite part of that post is "This might not have been talked about yet"..

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)

illustrativ
12-02-2003, 12:23 PM
If Surface Editor was to go node based then that would be a really nice treat. The new tools look good.

Nemoid
12-02-2003, 12:27 PM
What are you saying? I didn't know [8] was coming out! NO ONE talked about this!!! :D

hey PROTON, these screenshots are really awesome!!!! cannot think at what I will see tomorrow!!! :)

xtrm3d
12-02-2003, 12:38 PM
Licking my screen atm

hoho..
better i dont tell you what i am doing with my screen right now..

cause some people would be even more shocked !!!

:p

Lamont
12-02-2003, 12:40 PM
First off... EDGES. It's all cool, but I am wondering why you have to select points? It's not clear in the screenshot, so I am gonna hush...

DAMN IT ALL!! I need my comp and dongle!! I mailed one of the PC's I took to Japan by boat because I was lazy..(1 month to 6 weeks..), then my dongle died (had it since version 4). But the new one will be here tomorrow.

Oh great googa-monga!! Dope Sheet!! Ahhh, man.

Giddy giddy!!

DigiLusionist
12-02-2003, 12:40 PM
*rolling up a newspaper*

xtrm3d, down boy! Find a stranger's leg, or something...

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 12:47 PM
SO that's why my Monitor doesn't work the same ever since Xtrm3d came by the office :P

aliens
12-02-2003, 12:59 PM
big thx Proton, like the other, i'm just super-exited, and i need more now :)
hehehe the countdown LW [8] calendar....great idea!!

xtrm3d
12-02-2003, 01:14 PM
SO that's why my Monitor doesn't work the same ever since Xtrm3d came by the office :P
how insulting from you proton..
how can you believe that i did anytghing to your monitor.. ?? :rolleyes:

heuu..please.. give my best greeting to your mouse.. i miss here ...:p

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 01:18 PM
ROFL:p

RiGLEY
12-02-2003, 01:20 PM
I have written a quite bad math exam today... :) ... so i was quite sad, but now i am happpppyyy i cant weight :) for 8. :)))))) i really like the new UI (but i also think that those scroll... somethings are much too big, but who cares ? it looks goood :))))

Netvudu
12-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Some of this stuff looks great, or using the technical term that so many 3D experts favour "this stuff looks yummy yummy" :p

I just want to know if I will finally be able to use weight maps to control soft body dynamics . That is something urgent in my book.

Weight maps or not, really awaiting version 8 here.

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Netvudu
I just want to know if I will finally be able to use weight maps to control soft body dynamics . That is something urgent in my book.

Weight maps or not, really awaiting version 8 here.

Then you will be very happy....most of my Dynamic scenes from the Siggraph show used either selection sets or weight maps....of course a few of them used UV maps :D

Lamont
12-02-2003, 01:33 PM
I will sacrafice 8 Vanilla Fraps in the name of Proton for more screenshots...

geoff3dnz
12-02-2003, 01:54 PM
Anyone notice the frame numbers on the dopesheet?

1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5...

3D|Dave
12-02-2003, 02:01 PM
How about a shot of the new tools for bones??

robinson
12-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by geoff3dnz

1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5...

Looks like William made a small mistake in Photoshop, putting these screenshots together. :rolleyes:

Is the dopesheet really working or is it still just a future dream ?
Hehe, just kidding…

Great screenshots can’t wait to see more stuff coming. :)

t4d
12-02-2003, 02:19 PM
I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want ,I Want , :D
WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,WHEN WILL I BE DOWNLOADING THIS !! ,

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by robinson
Looks like William made a small mistake in Photoshop, putting these screenshots together. :rolleyes:

Is the dopesheet really working or is it still just a future dream ?
Hehe, just kidding…

Great screenshots can’t wait to see more stuff coming. :)

Actually if you stretch the dope sheet you aren't locked to just frames...you can have fractional frames :)

Freak
12-02-2003, 03:11 PM
Can i ask a stupid question?
(Well yes, yes i can....)

The render panel............
Do i still have to hit ESC after every test render?
I'd like to see it removed, when the alert level is in advanced mode.

And personally i'd like FPS moved to the new render panel as well...

FPS is in general options, not render opts...
I think Camera Options like AA could be moved their too...

Kuzey
12-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Ooooooooooh!!!

Wonderful and here's to the final version :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Kuzey

Alec Trevelyan
12-02-2003, 03:25 PM
it's so...beautiful...:cool:

nixx
12-02-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Freak
And personally i'd like FPS moved to the new render panel as well...

FPS is in general options, not render opts...
I think Camera Options like AA could be moved their too...

In my opinion, it should be moved, but not to the render opts... FPS affects actual keyframes and timelines, it's not just a setting that sets the movie framerate when you output an AVI or QT...

Try it, make a basic scene at 25fps, with some keyframes, then change to 30fps. You 'll see your keyframes adjusted to compensate for the change. LW tries to keep the "running time" of the animation the same when played at 30fps, as it was when played at 25.

I do think that it doesn't belong in the general options, but maybe something like the scene editor or something...

nick

ArtisticVisions
12-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Bwa ha ha ha... My favorite part of that post is "This might not have been talked about yet"..

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)
I was refering to having been talked about in this particular thread, not in general. :rolleyes:

Cman
12-02-2003, 04:34 PM
Love the graphical expressions.
Look forward to reading the release notes to see how all this cool stuff works together. :D

Netvudu
12-02-2003, 04:35 PM
of course a few of them used UV maps

uh....Proton, you mean UV maps to control dynamics?...

...how, what for...I don´t understand!! explain!! stop using your smiling smilie and explain this stuff!! :)

Great to hear about weight maps though. Maya cloth? neener, neener, neener! :D

Lewis
12-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Great timing proton :). Community was worried a bit when you will post but i see now they are very happy, me too :). I hope we will render new Christmas/NY 2004 images on LW8 :).

cheers

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Netvudu
uh....Proton, you mean UV maps to control dynamics?...

yup UV maps....that's how I did the pants wrinkle and buldging at SIG 03...

FenrirWolf
12-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm, yummy!

These are sweet. Just when I think I've got some of the cool features of 7.5 mastered, here comes a whole new set to digest! ;)

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I like new features! New buttons to puuuush...

KillMe
12-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by FenrirWolf
Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I like new features! New buttons to puuuush...

Mmmmmmmmmm New buttons ( damn no drooling smaily =)

hrgiger
12-02-2003, 05:43 PM
Sweet, weight maps for soft body dynamics, that's what I've been waiting to hear. Everything else looks equally divine.

Noclar7
12-02-2003, 06:23 PM
That new surface editor interface looks very promising. I am accustomed to the current but man, I tell ya, its sure is a pain sometimes to do multiple edits and such. I have my FTP program up and ready for link-up whenever you guys are ready :p

WizCraker
12-02-2003, 06:27 PM
I hate the new interface look, hope you guys put a preset for the black/dark grey in so the eyes do not get side tracked to unwanted colored buttons.

jr_sunshine
12-02-2003, 06:28 PM
lol

Karmacop
12-02-2003, 07:28 PM
I think the interface looks alright ...

I like the flush plugins command :D

I think the dots on the dope sheet are so control curves .. continuity, bias etc .. but it's just a guess.

Thanks for the screen shots :)

Ade
12-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Proton can we get some feedback on teh mac port?

Many of us felt screwed with the quality of current offerings, things like hub just dont work and actually crash when u render...
Plugins on mac are slower to render than pc's as well.

Whats teh SMPT like in lw8? More support for duals?

To ppl like me LW8 will show how far mac development ha come.

Please show something for us to make us feel included.
Rendering options would be nice as well..:D

Beamtracer
12-02-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Ade
To ppl like me LW8 will show how far mac development ha come.

Please show something for us to make us feel included.

If he showed screenshots of LW8 running in the Mac OSX 'Aqua' interface, the Windows users would be disappointed when they got LW8 home and it didn't look nearly as good on Windows XP. ;)

KOlson
12-02-2003, 08:36 PM
8 is looking awesome!! Can't wait for its release :)

jcool
12-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Handy little render setting

Mucho impresso... Thanks for the dopesheet shot.. I never thought I'd see it happen.. The arbitrary render range is a great idea as well.

Fasty
12-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Nice looking new features so far! I was wondering if that little "info" panel only comes up when you import a rig? Or will it come up when opening a scene or object too? Anyway, I like that feature! :D

CTRL+X
12-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Im officially hard now :)

Chazz
12-02-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by CTRL+X
Im officially hard now :)

....riiiiighhhhhhhtttt.....:rolleyes:

Matt
12-02-2003, 09:33 PM
a case of TMI (too much information) there CTRL-X!!!!

froggyplat
12-02-2003, 10:30 PM
having this as an option setting would be great for the edge bevel...:)

A Mejias
12-02-2003, 10:32 PM
So have the Scene Editor and the Spreadsheet Editor been combined with tabs? It kinda' looks that way. If not, it would be nice. Too many danged panels! :)

fortress
12-02-2003, 10:53 PM
all i can say is WOW

Hervé
12-02-2003, 11:31 PM
I have maybe the most stupid question... What is a dopesheet exactly...? any links that explain a bit.....

Those screen shot look cool.... LW looks more pro now.....

I hope we can multi-edit texture maps in the surface panel.....

keep posting Proton....

FenrirWolf
12-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by froggyplat
having this as an option setting would be great for the edge bevel...:) I hear Newtek's got the Cylon plugin almost ready to ship with LW8...

ngrava
12-03-2003, 12:46 AM
froggyplat: Yeah, you can do that too. It's one of the plugins that comes with DI's power tools. Very, very nice if you ask me. I use these tools constantly.

diya
12-03-2003, 01:53 AM
I see lot cool features, like using weight and Uv maps on dynamics, a dopesheet editor, and a fake edge beveling !

You still select points, and make them act like edges, so I'm sure now that there won't be any edge weighting. :(

Hope the problems like ruining the network render while using the spreadsheet has been solved. Got very excited here and waiting the lw8 before the new year.

Thanx proton.

j3st3r
12-03-2003, 02:05 AM
yup UV maps....that's how I did the pants wrinkle and buldging at SIG 03...

Wow...looks the whole 8 very very nice, my preciousss...But how do you use UV maps for dynamics?

archiea
12-03-2003, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the post, proton!!!!

I can't wait to see the new tutorials that deal with the new workflow issues... That would be a great way to introduce the new features: in context of their use in production...

Hervé
12-03-2003, 02:30 AM
again in case someone knows....

What is a dopesheet exactly...? any links that explain a bit.....

hello Proton, do you have examples...?

Hervé

j3st3r
12-03-2003, 02:39 AM
Herve, dopesheet is extremely useful when aniamtion is the task. Here you can edit timing of the keyframes, you can move them in time, many keyframes at once. Currently you have to do it in Graph Editor, which is not the most practical way, because you deal also with curves. A dopesheet reminds to a spreadsheet where the rows represent keys for the scene elements, and the columns represent the time.

A practical situation:
You animate a 10 seconds shot with one charactter. You do animation in a pose to pose basis, you set up your poses at the proper frames. Your animation will look artifical, because the character will move very mechanic. But if you change the timing of the individuual keyframes (move them in time) your animation will look natural. With a dopesheet you will see your ENTIRE animation as cells, and you can easily decide what keyframes needed to be moved in time, and where...

Sorry for long post, but dopesheet is a really cool feature...

Matt
12-03-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by diya
Hope the problems like ruining the network render while using the spreadsheet has been solved. Got very excited here and waiting the lw8 before the new year.

Correct me if I'm wrong here Proton, but I would imagine this bug has gone seen as Spreadsheet _looks_ like it's now fully integrated into LightWave.

While we're on the network rendering side of things: I _really_ hope that if we don't have true distributed network rendering (1 frame to many machines) that the silly bugs that stop you being able to use 'Render Region' fully (hypervoxels, caustics, GI, shading noise reduction) are sorted, then at least we have a _proper_ work around, this is very high on my list!

Hervé
12-03-2003, 03:09 AM
Hey Thanks Jester, it looks indeed very cool... but I am not doing animation with characters, mostly just camera moves.... I see it could be useful at times for me, but it looks more directed to CA.... anyway, I am curious to try that..

Thanks for the nice explanation...
Hervé

Hervé
12-03-2003, 03:14 AM
hey already sooo many posts.... and sooo little time .... to.... LW8 !!

Now there is one thing that makes me scared.... this thread title is "December screenshots"... but.... but.... but, dont tell me there will be some "January Screenshots", .... "July screenshots"... and so on... that could not be.... no?

eacide
12-03-2003, 03:25 AM

FI_Wrinkle does that quite well. Look at flay.com ;)

Red_Oddity
12-03-2003, 03:31 AM
Proton, small question regarding the expression engine...is that one updated aswell or just graphically enhanced?

is it possible now, for example, to have an expression to just take values from the item it is attached to without having to use a item name (which breaks when you duplicate it for example)

would this be possible now ?:

[_self.Position.Y] =ceil( [_parent.Position.X])

marc
12-03-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Red_Oddity
[_self.Position.Y] =ceil( [_parent.Position.X])
Yeah, relative refencing in expressions would be awesome!

Marc

hrgiger
12-03-2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Hervé

Now there is one thing that makes me scared.... this thread title is "December screenshots"... but.... but.... but, dont tell me there will be some "January Screenshots", .... "July screenshots"... and so on... that could not be.... no?

I don't think that necesarily follows. I think there were siggraph screenshots, not real long after siggraph screenshots, and now we have some Decemeber screenshots. Now if there had been monthly screenshots since Siggraph, then I would worry because yes, then logically, the January screenshots could be set to follow. Not saying there won't be, but I don't think there's any indication yet that it won't ship on time. Dan Ablan's book on LW8 he said will probably ship in Febuary which gives him enough time to cover any last minute features that LW8 has when it ships in December. Just my impression.

colkai
12-03-2003, 04:18 AM
Okay, hands up, all those who pre-ordered LW8 with DFX+ - just how smug are ya feeling now???

Smuggyness abounds...

Or to put it another way
Whooo Boyyy!!! :D

hrgiger
12-03-2003, 04:22 AM
I'm curious about how the edge beveling handles itself. Does it just split the points and leave it up to use to scale or size the points and keep all the new polys planar or does it have some sort of smoothing algorithem to deal with it? I've noticed using programs like Wings 3D that when you split edges, it stays pretty planar and in order within the size of the polys you're splitting from.

Hope that's clear.

Yog
12-03-2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
I'm curious about how the edge beveling handles itself. Does it just split the points and leave it up to use to scale or size the points and keep all the new polys planar or does it have some sort of smoothing algorithem to deal with it? I've noticed using programs like Wings 3D that when you split edges, it stays pretty planar and in order within the size of the polys you're splitting from.

Hope that's clear.

If it's anything like the free 3rd party plug-in by DAZ that goes by the same name (hmmm), then by dragging the mouse you dynamically decide how large the bevel is.

eacide
12-03-2003, 06:17 AM
Okay it is now native in LW. But it is not a revolution. As said by Yog, DAZ Edge Bevel does that. Nevertheless, it is a good deal that Newtek takes possession of this. Now we will not be subject to any third-party decision on stopping or pursuing the development of plugins. The same for DI Power Tools ;)

The only thing I feel is that you add 2 tris that you'll have to deal with further :(

TSpyrison
12-03-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by colkai
Okay, hands up, all those who pre-ordered LW8 with DFX+ - just how smug are ya feeling now???

Smuggyness abounds...

Or to put it another way

Pretty damn smug here..

(singing..) The waiting, is the hardest part...

WilliamVaughan
12-03-2003, 06:46 AM

It's interactive....

WilliamVaughan
12-03-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by FenrirWolf
I hear Newtek's got the Cylon plugin almost ready to ship with LW8...

huh

WilliamVaughan
12-03-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
again in case someone knows....

What is a dopesheet exactly...? any links that explain a bit.....

hello Proton, do you have examples...?

Hervé

Do a search in these forums...someone explained it in detail...

private
12-03-2003, 07:03 AM

1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5...

WEIRD?!?

I really like the look of the new Vertex Map Panel.

I also hope that since the DStorm programmer is now on board, some of the killer DStorm plugins have been integrated and beefed up.

Example:

Vertex Paint
Edge tools
UV Edit Pro

Some some screen shots of these guys!

I also hope that there is a more interactive way or a better system of changing the colour of Lightwave, along with different presets. Opening the HUB and experimenting isn't the most efficent manner.

Some of the features look really promising as well as some of the features are catch up from other apps (read dopesheet) I can't wait to see more.

Dick Ma
12-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Oh God,

Please give me a proper tool of painting weights in LW8, I am exhausted with Vertex Paint, Amen.

siproductions
12-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by colkai

Smuggyness abounds...

Or to put it another way

I'm dancing up and down with smuggyness.:D And BTW DXF+ is wonderful. Between it and combustion I am set.

KOlson
12-03-2003, 08:10 AM
28 days till 2004... I can taste 8 :D

Hervé
12-03-2003, 08:26 AM
Thanks HGiger... let's cross fingers....

Thanks also Proton...Jester answered it pretty well... no? ....

Someone said 28 days left, let's hope it does not come between 24 & 31...... we want it before...... he he....

Meanwhile, a little Chrsitmas news....

believe it or not (dont know about other countries), but here it is the big mode this year for having A big Santa Claus puppet (Père Nöel) hanging against your house main wall.... so in a street, there are around 30 SC, .... I am thinking... little kids must be lost....

evenflcw
12-03-2003, 08:43 AM
Layout update looks beyond my expectations and it will probably be alot more enjoying working in it now. Although there are some nice enhancements, Modeler however, won't be that much different it seems. But this was expected and I agree that focus was put where it was needed the most.

Although DAZ's EdgeBevel imho is/was the best edgebeveler available I always thought it lacked some options (segments and smoothing;leaving the original edge) to be really usefull in just about any type of situation. So am I correct in assuming we won't be seeing any enhancements to this tool at this time?

Karl Hansson
12-03-2003, 09:17 AM
Its funny how these screenshots threds always gets an insane amount of views in a short time. This thred already has 11728 views at the time of writing.:rolleyes:

Exper
12-03-2003, 09:19 AM
Yep :D

Hervé
12-03-2003, 09:27 AM
also called SC-Fx = Santa Claus Fx

Red_Oddity
12-03-2003, 09:43 AM
Soooooo...expressions?...Proton?...or am i talking to the wall again...

No offence ment offcourse, it's all looking sweet, but i need a little more than just eyecandy as improvements...

btw...i'm still considering the Special Offer LW bundle...1500 big ones...(i'm a stinker ain't i:D )

KOlson
12-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Proton, now that Ino is on the dev team, can we expect to see JetstreamFX or something similar become part of LightWave at some point in time?

Emmanuel
12-03-2003, 10:01 AM
Hi,

may I hubly suggest that I would like the option to select a render range visually in the timeline, like I can in After Effects.
Like using a lasso between frame 1 and 16 and have that era be rendered, including "strg-LMB" for additional ranges/frames....

Dodgy
12-03-2003, 10:03 AM
Eyecandy? LOL I'd hardly call all of the improvements seen so far eyecandy...

Jetstream does look very nice with it's open gl supported voxels. If they could incorporate all Ino's stuff, MMMM choc full of funky stuff!

ufo3d
12-03-2003, 10:10 AM
Hi Proton, any tour of screenshots today?
cheers

Hervé
12-03-2003, 10:16 AM
A super +++++++ would be a "triple polys" that makes only.... hum... hum... QUADS... he ha he

Red_Oddity
12-03-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Dodgy
Eyecandy? LOL I'd hardly call all of the improvements seen so far eyecandy...

Jetstream does look very nice with it's open gl supported voxels. If they could incorporate all Ino's stuff, MMMM choc full of funky stuff!

Actually i was talking about the expressions...not the rest of those pics...It looks so much better this way (i never really liked the expression builder) with the functions on the left and the noding system...so, as i said before, it would be a shame if this was just eyecandy...

Exper
12-03-2003, 10:34 AM
Come on... HOLY Ino! :D

Kvaalen
12-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Hmmm... I think I know why the thread title is "LW8 December ScreenShots".
It's because that is all we will get for this month, if we want more we'll just have to wait a month.

Just kidding guys... I'm trying to provoque Proton to post more screenshots. :D

colkai
12-03-2003, 11:18 AM
huh

I think it was nod to the red line on the picture of the head, like the flashing eye of a Cylon in Battlestar Galactica ;)
..By ...Your ..Command :p

fatality
12-03-2003, 11:40 AM
:) This is some cool stuff to see!!! Me like Thanx... :)

hopicus
12-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Please sir,... Can we have some more?:D

petermark
12-03-2003, 02:13 PM
I'm smug as a bug in a rug! I can't wait!! Thanks a load, Proton!

CB_3D
12-03-2003, 02:34 PM
cool pics. and i like the UI design.

soooo, when will you show us ik/fk blending?

Noclar7
12-03-2003, 02:41 PM
smug.. excited.. still in transition from after effects to DF though. Quite the workflow change

Zach
12-03-2003, 02:43 PM
Jenky, Lightwave's looking spanky!

Locutus
12-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by KillMe
well not entirely sure this shows alot of devolpemt in modeler - as someone pointed out already daz edgebeveldoes exact what was shown and clearly since its selecting point for the edge bevel edges are not included =( and the vertex map controls well nice but not ground breaking

that said i am emensly excited about lw 8 =) and while modeler might not have gotten quite so much attension its already awesome and the work on layout well damn its awesome

as for modeler well i'd take a add edge tool with afew extras and 5 point poly sub d's for cutting without it jumping back to polys

and when working in sub d's it would be nice if you could get modeler to forget the actual postion of the points and just let you use the ones where they appear to be

( i always have the sub d cage turned off and i as offena s not select more points than i want cause i'm catching the acauly postions too )
No true edge selection/editing? Aww, crap!
Oh well at least LW8 will include DI's Powertools, that will make up for it a little.

I cannot wait for eight!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

cresshead
12-03-2003, 04:05 PM
RE:No true edge selection/editing? Aww, crap!
Oh well at least LW8 will include DI's Powertools, that will make up for it a little.

how do you know?...
lw8 could have edges...

just possibly they changed to point selection view for the screen grab...

remember that another vendor is currently making a modeler so they don't want to give anything away just yet [newtek]...modeler may actually have edges...we'll have to wait n see...can you understand the lack of specifics so far with modeler in comparison to layout seeing as the other vendor is concentrating on soley producing a modeler first up...?

we COULD be see some smoke or red herrings right now...
not say THAT WE ARE..but...we might be??!!!

nothing's cut n dried till we see it in the flesh...
remember siggraph?....nothing from modeler 8

could be a total re build to squash you know who!

....see now you n me are none the wiser!

I look forward to downloading lw8 when she appears!

...and only when she's ready!

steve g

FenrirWolf
12-03-2003, 04:37 PM
huh Sorry, a little corny Battlestar Galactica humor! ;)

Maxx
12-03-2003, 04:37 PM
To go along with what Cresshead said - the "preview" article in 3D World #45 does mention a "raft of new modeling capabilities" ,as well as a quote from Andrew Cross about "a variety of new selection capabilities". Whether this means edges or not - or is complete bunk, for that matter - is anybody's guess until [8] (why the brackets I wonder?) actually comes out. Until then, do we really have to sit here and ***** at NewTek for what they're not putting in the program? Especially when we really don't know what they're putting in the program? Let's wait until it comes out - then we can all scream about lack of this selection or that extrusion or the mythical "make really frigging cool" button... :D (assuming, of course, it's not there...)

milkman
12-03-2003, 04:44 PM
So... Proton. Any new screens today? You stopped yesterday and gave the impression that there was more to come today :)

3D|Dave
12-03-2003, 04:54 PM
a Little Multi Mirroring in Layout....and that will wrap up todays tour of screenshots :)

Don't stop there, what about array features (radial and linear) for objects, lights, ect.....

gt3d
12-03-2003, 05:06 PM
Does anyone know why there hasnt been any screenshots anywhere of the modeller?? modelling is my main concern and i havent seen anything other than that 1 pic of the edgebevel ,which isnt anything striking considering 7.5 could do that with edgebevel by daz ! its modeller i wanna see wheres the shots of that??? must be due out any day i would of thought as there isnt long left of the 4th quarter of the year and thats when it was promised, so modeller must be complete why have we seen nothing of it ???

jr_sunshine
12-03-2003, 05:10 PM
NewTek made it quite clear at SIGGRAPH that the core of the version 8 upgrade would be improvements to Layout.

I think most people who have been following the upgrade know this.

Hope that helps.

hrgiger
12-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by jr_sunshine
NewTek made it quite clear at SIGGRAPH that the core of the version 8 upgrade would be improvements to Layout.

I think most people who have been following the upgrade know this.

Well, we don't know if that's the only reason that modeler is not being shown. It doesn't necessarily indicate what is new and what is not in modeler.
If there is nothing new in modeler, there's no reason why they couldn't show us a full screen shot of modeler. Perhaps there's something to see yet...

gt3d
12-03-2003, 05:26 PM
yeah i thought they may of done some improvements in modeller though! what i want to hear most of all is that they have sorted the problem with random polygons being selected when selecting polys close up ,i also would of minded seeing the toolset arranged a little better too, i knew its no sweat to rearange it yourself but i was hoping for a much better workflow in modeller, wouldnt mind some tool palletes being able to be dragged across to where you want them for modelling etc ,it would cut the mouse miles i do in half... there is quite a few points when i think about it that they could of worked on like the option of a gizmo , i think it would be much easier to move a point along the direction of a normal amongst other things with a gizmo , i would of also liked a few more modelling tools included in the standard toolset similar to the di powertools (ideka) and even better to be able to right click and pop up a box with your main polymodelling tools in ! all wishful thinking i know but i was kinda hoping for something to be done to modeller ,especially with modo on the horizon !

Locutus
12-03-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by cresshead
RE:No true edge selection/editing? Aww, crap!

how do you know?...
lw8 could have edges...

just possibly they changed to point selection view for the screen grab...

remember that another vendor is currently making a modeler so they don't want to give anything away just yet [newtek]...modeler may actually have edges...we'll have to wait n see...can you understand the lack of specifics so far with modeler in comparison to layout seeing as the other vendor is concentrating on soley producing a modeler first up...?

we COULD be see some smoke or red herrings right now...
not say THAT WE ARE..but...we might be??!!!

nothing's cut n dried till we see it in the flesh...
remember siggraph?....nothing from modeler 8

could be a total re build to squash you know who!

....see now you n me are none the wiser!

I look forward to downloading lw8 when she appears!

...and only when she's ready!

steve g

Originally posted by Maxx
To go along with what Cresshead said - the "preview" article in 3D World #45 does mention a "raft of new modeling capabilities" ,as well as a quote from Andrew Cross about "a variety of new selection capabilities". Whether this means edges or not - or is complete bunk, for that matter - is anybody's guess until [8] (why the brackets I wonder?) actually comes out. Until then, do we really have to sit here and ***** at NewTek for what they're not putting in the program? Especially when we really don't know what they're putting in the program? Let's wait until it comes out - then we can all scream about lack of this selection or that extrusion or the mythical "make really frigging cool" button... :D (assuming, of course, it's not there...)
Ok, relax, you both have a point, it is too soon to point out what LW8 may or may not have. However, I'm not asking for a "make really frigging cool" button, nor do I think I was 'bitching' about any of LW's tools or lack there of.
I enjoy LW just like everyone else here (I teach it to high schoolers), I wasn't trying too speak against it. In fact, I will still be very pleased with LW8 even with out selectable edges.:D

Besides, if you go back and really read my post you would see that it was more a question than a statement and it was a response to an earlier post.

cresshead
12-03-2003, 07:45 PM
sorry if i upset you...text can "read" several ways if your not careful...and i wasn't!....

i also teach students so should know better!..

the thing is that we've not heard a definate single thing about modeler as yet and with good reason [that other app!] from newtek's perspective.

i agree with, that even if modeler doesn't have "edges"..lightwave 8 still looks a great new version...i teach students max and that's had edges since version 1 but it didn't stop me from moving from max to lightwave..i've not missed edges much if at all in lightave but i'd sure miss the whole modeling deal when i'm back in max...!

keep cool and have a good xmas!

Muad'dib
12-03-2003, 10:58 PM
... a little levels here
http://paulatreides.homestead.com/files/render2.jpg

... a little sharpen there and presto - LW8 hidden feature reveled
http://paulatreides.homestead.com/files/render3.jpg
or
http://paulatreides.homestead.com/files/render4.jpg

No wonder Proton is keeping these features hidden from the rest of us ;)

gt3d
12-03-2003, 11:05 PM
Now thats funny..lol...:D :D could sure do with that get me coffe button !..lol.

spigolo
12-03-2003, 11:50 PM
I'm very happy of what the screen shots are showing, hope that the real core of the software had benn rewritten and that the number of windows to open while working is limited to one.

Lightwave actually could open even 10 windows of tools and this makes the interface workflow confusing somentimes, soI hope that the workflow enanchements regards also this.

I'm sad that we cannot open these tools inside a window like we do in the schematic editor, I hoped very much for this but maybe LW structure makes complex to do that.

Someone said that there are possible rumors about radiosity..
Hope it true....

Ps

Proton, where do you buy your t-shirts ???

pixelranger
12-04-2003, 01:11 AM
Just wanna say: People, don't get your expectations so unrealistically high, because I *SERIOUSLY* doubt that the core has been rewritten OR that we'll have selectable edges in Modeller, OR that Layout and Modeler has merged into one OR that it'll get us coffee in the mornings. /j
I think what Proton has showed us here are the changes he's (or Newtek is) most proud of and that speculations towards lw being rewritten or that we'll get real edges are going to make you all dissapointed when lw8 finally arrives.
Then it's better to keep you hopes low and be blown into the sky when it's released.

NOTE that this is just my opinion and my tip to people who have bought lw8 allready or certainly will anyway.
I know it's healthy to be sceptical and demanding, but speculations like this right before a release will only make you dissappointed and we'll have a whole bunch of whining users (often those who where most enthusiastic to begin with) flooding the forums with complaints and other crap like "ohhhhh, whyyyy?? Why didn't we get edges??"

Lamont
12-04-2003, 01:14 AM
Yeah, I'm still buying it ;) regardless. Been buying it since version 4.

takkun
12-04-2003, 01:30 AM
OR that it'll get us coffee in the mornings. Oh, that would be so nice. I just broke my coffee pot the other day and when I tried to make one, I found out that LW 7.5 currently only has a teapot button!!! How long do I have to wait for a coffee pot button!!! Ohh, the torture!!!

but really, I did break my coffee pot. and it was brand new.. :(

Lamont
12-04-2003, 01:39 AM
Yeah, I need a new coffee pot too... I have been doing instant way too long. Nothing wrong with instant though.. less mess...

I want an exspresso machine actually. Then I can make my own Grande Misto's and tell $tarbucks to kiss my shiney metal *****.

http://www.tulane.edu/~jhouston/scifi/robot/bender.gif

Oh and "Go Newtek!!".. yeah..

Nemoid
12-04-2003, 02:44 AM
:D Hey, where are the screenshots of the day? Becoming addicted of them!! :D

kevman3d
12-04-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Nemoid
:D Hey, where are the screenshots of the day? Becoming addicted of them!! :D

Whats wrong with you people! Can't you see what's happening here?!!!

First they give you a taste, get you hooked, then the next thing you know you'll be buying it in large quantities. Be VERY careful, or you'll find yourself licking your monitor for your daily fix. :D

Sorry - Must be time to get some sleep... :rolleyes:

conehead
12-04-2003, 03:41 AM
Hello,

I've seen that lw8 will be able to break objects. can someone make a screenshot of an breaking object? Does lw8 build the breaking place in the objects or uses the existing polys?

conehead
12-04-2003, 03:45 AM
Hello,

I've seen that lw8 will be able to break objects.

1.) Can someone make a screenshot of an breaking object? Does lw8 build the breaking place in the objects or uses the existing polys?

2.) When will LW8 be released?

hrgiger
12-04-2003, 05:20 AM
there is a screenshot of the hardbody dynamics on this page:

http://newtek.com/products/lightwave/lw8.php

bloontz
12-04-2003, 05:48 AM
The siggraph streams have some footage showing the hard body stuff in action-

http://www.tv3d.com/Sig03/LW8.htm

Hervé
12-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Screenshots ! Screenshots ! Everybody now.... Screenshots ! Screenshots !

Matt
12-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Now you see, Proton, you could have saved yourself all this hassle by posting one screenshot / day instead of blowing the whole lot yesterday!

Unless of course there is more to come ? . . . .

Nemoid
12-04-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by kevman3d
Whats wrong with you people! Can't you see what's happening here?!!!

First they give you a taste, get you hooked, then the next thing you know you'll be buying it in large quantities. Be VERY careful, or you'll find yourself licking your monitor for your daily fix. :D

Sorry - Must be time to get some sleep... :rolleyes:

Heeeeelp! got my tongue attached to the screen when I licked it!!Now I have some speech difficulties.... :D

seriously:

Proton, post what you want when you want and we will be happy.

Karmacop
12-04-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Nemoid

seriously:

Proton, post what you want when you want and we will be happy.

What he means is post screen shots of unseen features every day :p

Nemoid
12-04-2003, 09:36 AM
Think that if he will post every unseen feature on a day by day basis, then Lw would be out before he finish!! :)

Chazz
12-04-2003, 09:48 AM
I can't find any info on the on Newtek's site...

I just bought the 8 upgrade and have heard that it's a download instead of CD...but Proton was talking about the content that comes with it. Do we get a CD when we upgrade?

:confused:

KOlson
12-04-2003, 09:54 AM
Speaking of the electronic upgrade.. How will it be determined who is elligible for the upgrade / download? When I purchased mine from Safe Harbor there was no code or anyway to distinguish that I was elligible.

mkiii
12-04-2003, 09:58 AM
The previous upgrades only had a small amount of additional content to demonstrate the new features, so I'd assume that this incarnation will be much the same.

The old content hasn't changed an awful lot since the original pc version (even though many of us donated objects & textures to Newtek to be included with Version 6.0).

lwgal
12-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Gosh, I got so busy with the holidays I forgot I still hadn't gotten this yet.....and yes, I'm smug about buying early....although I've never had time to do more than just start DFX+, let alone learn it yet.....

Modeler: One of the last PR releases said there was changes to Modeler....didn't go into detail....so we at least know that one thing was done to it....hopefully much more cool stuff too! :cool:

If you bought the upgrade from 7.5, unless you pay the extra $99 for the CD/manual, you will get the complete (although probably rather large) download option. Maya and XSI both have their learner programs available and they are both quite large downloads.....so I expect it to be a biggie with all the free content, etc. that is included with it. Course, I'll have to burn me about 3 copies so I don't lose it if the hard drive crashes....

Looking great though....any more screenshots today??? Pretty please :D

Karmacop
12-04-2003, 10:03 AM
I want to know: If I buy the boxed Lightwave (that will get shipped to me with a manual etc) can I also download it while I'm waiting for the box to get sent to me? That'd make me happy :D

CoryC
12-04-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by mkiii
The previous upgrades only had a small amount of additional content to demonstrate the new features, so I'd assume that this incarnation will be much the same.

The old content hasn't changed an awful lot since the original pc version (even though many of us donated objects & textures to Newtek to be included with Version 6.0).

That would be an incorrect assumption. Proton has had a few posts previewing the new content. If memory serves me all the content is new and there is a ton of it. Search Proton's posts to get the exact scoop.

It was also stated that everyone will get the new content, including those of us that bought the upgrade by download.

mkiii
12-04-2003, 10:57 AM
Let's hope there is a 'ton' of new content. I'm not holding my breath for more than we had before though.

DigiLusionist
12-04-2003, 11:09 AM
For me, the value of any object content provided is diminished if the models are too dense to see what the original modelers did. Plus, they would be too cumbersome to actually utilize in a scene, due to incredibly high render times.

So, if content is to be supplied as a value-added learning tools, objects should be low poly cages that can be rezzed up as desired by users.

Too often the objects provided have been poorly modeled or frozen at too high a poly count.

CoryC
12-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Here is the thread on the LW8 content - http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12958

with more at - http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13338 and http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13441 and http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13336

Of course this should also be tempered with this other announcement that seems to have been left by the wayside - http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10393

mkiii
12-04-2003, 11:29 AM
Ok. OK. I give in - it looks like there *is* going to be a decent amount of new content.

All we need now is an upgrade to try it out on.

badllarma
12-04-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by KOlson
Speaking of the electronic upgrade.. How will it be determined who is elligible for the upgrade / download? When I purchased mine from Safe Harbor there was no code or anyway to distinguish that I was elligible.

From what I can gather when you get your DFX+ in the box is a copy of Lightwave 7.5 you have to register this copy's serial with Newtek so when 8 is finally released you go to download and have to enter the new serial to gain access.
You don't have to install the new version of 7.5 but just have it regsitered to your name etc..

That is what I understand anyway? Any one from Newtek care to shed some light I'm all ears :)

WizCraker
12-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by badllarma
From what I can gather when you get your DFX+ in the box is a copy of Lightwave 7.5

I don't think this is the case, I upgraded a few months back the DFX+ box did not include a CD 7.5. I ordered directly from Newtek [over phone].

geoff3dnz
12-04-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by WizCraker
I don't think this is the case, I upgraded a few months back the DFX+ box did not include a CD 7.5. I ordered directly from Newtek [over phone]. But that would be because you already have 7.5 (I assume). I was shipped DFX+ without the LW 7.5 CDs as well, because I'm already a registered user of 7.5. I had to give my serial number at the time of purchase of the upgrade which is what I assume they'll use to determine eligibility for the download...

mkiii
12-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Hmm... I got a full boxed set for my 7.5 upgrade, manual, cd etc. However, I went for the 5x DVD version of the offer rather than DFX.

TSpyrison
12-04-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by WizCraker
I don't think this is the case, I upgraded a few months back the DFX+ box did not include a CD 7.5. I ordered directly from Newtek [over phone].

Same here.. I’ve got the DFX+ box they sent, But I’m not sure what I’m going to need to have to prove that I’m entitled to the Lightwave 8 upgrade. All of my e-mails that I had been saving from when I purchased the upgraded got gone in a hard drive crash. :)

I sent Newtek an e-mail, and they basically said they will be releasing the procedures for obtaining the upgrade to LightWave 8 as we get closer to the release.

I just want to make sure that I can get in there and start downloading ASAP. :D

geoff3dnz
12-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Same here.. I’ve got the DFX+ box they sent, But I’m not sure what I’m going to need to have to prove that I’m entitled to the Lightwave 8 upgrade. All of my e-mails that I had been saving from when I purchased the upgraded got gone in a hard drive crash. :)

I sent Newtek an e-mail, and they basically said they will be releasing the procedures for obtaining the upgrade to LightWave 8 as we get closer to the release.

I just want to make sure that I can get in there and start downloading ASAP. :D But didn't you have to give your LW serial number to order the upgrade? I assume that this will tell Newtek who's able to download 8, and who isn't...

Matt
12-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Looks like we scared the tall fella off, he's not posted in a while now!

TSpyrison
12-04-2003, 12:22 PM
But didn't you have to give your LW serial number to order the upgrade? I assume that this will tell Newtek who's able to download 8, and who isn't...

True..
This must be what it feels like to be one of those hard-core shoppers, waiting outside a store to open at 5am the day after thanksgiving. Waiting to run in and make sure they get whatever they are after..

TSpyrison
12-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Looks like we scared the tall fella off, he's not posted in a while now!

Huh??

TSpyrison
12-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Huh??

Oooh... I get it..

(duhh...)

Noclar7
12-04-2003, 12:25 PM
True..
This must be what it feels like to be one of those hard-core shoppers, waiting outside a store to open at 5am the day after thanksgiving. Waiting to run in and make sure they get whatever they are after..

thats too funny.. disturbing.but funny.

retinajoy
12-04-2003, 01:19 PM
After looking at those screen shots, I am very happy that I have paid for the upgrade plus DFX+ is a great tool. How will Newteks server cope when we all start trying to download LW 8 at the same time?

trick
12-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by retinajoy
After looking at those screen shots, I am very happy that I have paid for the upgrade plus DFX+ is a great tool. How will Newteks server cope when we all start trying to download LW 8 at the same time?

Maybe the best thing is to release it with XMas...My computers surely will be switched OFF...and I think a lot of others will be too...and surely a lot won't....

JML
12-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Proton,
will you be able to really turn ON and OFF a object or light
in a scene ?
for example, if there is a object of 1 000 000 polygons
or a light with shadow map of 12 000 , and they are both turn OFF,
would LW8 still include those 2 in the frame buffer ?

I remember, I had a project at work and I had about 8
spot lights with shadow maps as big as 8 000.
when i was rendering at high resolution, it was telling me
"not enough memory for frame buffer"
ONLY 1 spotlight on the 8 was turn on !
after deleting the extra 7 others, I rendered at high resolution
without problems. (because there was only 1 heavy light in the scene)

I had 8 heavy spotlights for different view of the scene.
Camera 1 = sun1
Camera 2 = sun2 etc...
and I was turning on and off the lights I did not want depending
on the selected camera.

so would we be able to use this techinique in LW8?
I think it's a little detail which is VERY important

prospector
12-05-2003, 01:55 PM
How about some screen shots of the Lip syncing at work??

pauland
12-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by prospector
programs that don't intigrate with LW, don't deserve to be on the market

Including spellcheckers.. ;-)

SteveM
12-05-2003, 08:23 PM
I really hope that they have updated the interface and made it much more customizable so that you can get more of a DFX look - I don't know if I can handle another bland, old school look. I also hope that they have made the hub actually usable this time round.

nixx
12-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by SteveM
I really hope that they have updated the interface and made it much more customizable so that you can get more of a DFX look - I don't know if I can handle another bland, old school look. I also hope that they have made the hub actually usable this time round.

And VIPER, too. Right now it doesn't even handle certain core LW stuff. Area lights, anyone ?
Not that it hasn't proven very useful on different occasions, but it still feels like it's halfway there. If it's the same in 8, I 'm probably getting G2 (which seems to also add a very impressive surfacing system, basically, *and* an accurate real time preview. If only it could also work with HVs and stuff :( )

nick

j3st3r
12-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Area lights are raytraced...no VIPER IPR or ActiveShade will handle raytrace for a time. But I do hope, that IPR and surface preview will show UV. It`s funny that these days when UV is very very important VIPER doesn`t handle them, only if subdivision level is set to 0.

zapper1998
12-07-2003, 02:01 AM
wow

very impressive

i can taste LW 8 to

boy i can't wait to see it

comanche
12-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by nixx
And VIPER, too. Right now it doesn't even handle certain core LW stuff. Area lights, anyone ?
Not that it hasn't proven very useful on different occasions, but it still feels like it's halfway there. If it's the same in 8, I 'm probably getting G2 (which seems to also add a very impressive surfacing system, basically, *and* an accurate real time preview. If only it could also work with HVs and stuff :( )

nick

There was a preview video (4,5 megs) that showed an interactive renderer in the viewport (camera view) that is "gonna basically replace viper". Also it was mentioned that it might not be in the initial release, but a later 8.x release. Let's hope so! But even better would be in the 8.0 ... :)

Cheers,
Andreas

geoff3dnz
12-07-2003, 02:20 AM
Hmmm... I seem to remember that that video was pulled, as it wasn't correct information. It was actually G2 in a viewport, which Lee Stranahan has - it was written specifically for him by Worley. Don't get your hopes up. :)

comanche
12-07-2003, 02:30 AM
I don't care if it was a Worley or Newtek development. Also I doubt that this alpha version was written for Mr. Lee Stranahan personally. Maybe he wasn't allowed to speak about the upcoming features of 8.x, because nothing was set in stone at this time. Mabe we'll see it soon, maybe never. But let's be optimistic :D and hope the dinosaur "viper" is going to be replaced sooner than later.

geoff3dnz
12-07-2003, 02:42 AM
You may have missed my point - it was just G2. Not an alpha version of anything.

Anyway, Lee said he asked Steve Worley if he could have G2 in a viewport, and Steve did it for him. At least that's what he said to us when he showed his G2 running in a viewport again at the Lightwave World Tour here in NZ.

But I agree, lets be positive and hope that Viper gets a nice update. ;)

comanche
12-07-2003, 02:59 AM
Ok, I didn't knew that. Thanks for the information, Geoff.

Cheers

Jabba
12-07-2003, 04:01 AM
So your not limited to exporting an entire setup....you could choose to just export/import just an arm setup....or just a foot setup....pretty cool if you ask me :)

Maybe late ;) but here I'm with a little question. When you export that rig or just part of it, it export just 'setup' or it export physicaly bones with the setup and when you load that rig file, it load also the bones?

For example if I setup MAN character and save its rig and then create a CHILD character and convert its skelegons into bones (same skeleton, same names but little tweaked to reach those different proportions) and I load that MAN.rig, I end up with TWO skeletons or that CHILD skeleton just will be setuped by the informations on that MAN.rig file?

nixx
12-07-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by j3st3r
Area lights are raytraced...no VIPER IPR or ActiveShade will handle raytrace for a time. But I do hope, that IPR and surface preview will show UV. It`s funny that these days when UV is very very important VIPER doesn`t handle them, only if subdivision level is set to 0.

No I 'm not talking about raytraced area lights (not even G2 can handle RT). I 'm talking about area light shading, even without raytraced shadows. What comes up in VIPER has nothing to do with what comes up in a full render.
And this is but one of the numerous limitations or even errors in the VIPER system, which I really do hope gets updated in 8.

G2 is looking sweeter and sweeter anyway, but LW really does need a proper, working VIPER system. (right now I almost exclusively use it for particle work and SkyTracer previews, whereas I should be able to use it with anything, right ?)

nick

private
12-07-2003, 05:30 AM
What happened to the "G2 Like" features Lee put in a video when he was doing the teaser videos for Newtek. That video got pulled fairly quickly, without explanation. Even to the point that Worley and company stated G2 wasn't getting included in LW8.

What was up with that?

Dodgy
12-07-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Jabba
For example if I setup MAN character and save its rig and then create a CHILD character and convert its skelegons into bones (same skeleton, same names but little tweaked to reach those different proportions) and I load that MAN.rig, I end up with TWO skeletons or that CHILD skeleton just will be setuped by the informations on that MAN.rig file?

That will be possible under ACS4...
I've done it already :)

riki
12-07-2003, 08:27 AM
Hey Proton, thanks for the screenies, it's 2am now in sydney, was falling asleep at my 'puter but this certainly woke me up.

The interface design looks great.

Herve the dope sheet is for dopes of course ;)

Castius
12-07-2003, 09:04 AM
hay j3st3r
try turning the sub patch to 0, render, test in viper, then set sub patch back, render, and see if viper remebers the uv. I found it could just use alittle kick some times. Needs to be fixed non the less.

Scott

Ade
12-07-2003, 09:06 AM
Will lw8 have any hardware compatinility with certain video cards to do features in realtime like maya has?

geoff3dnz
12-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by private
What happened to the "G2 Like" features Lee put in a video when he was doing the teaser videos for Newtek. That video got pulled fairly quickly, without explanation. Even to the point that Worley and company stated G2 wasn't getting included in LW8.

What was up with that? You can look four posts above your one to see my understanding of the situation...

Noclar7
12-07-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Castius
hay j3st3r
try turning the sub patch to 0, render, test in viper, then set sub patch back, render, and see if viper remebers the uv. I found it could just use alittle kick some times. Needs to be fixed non the less.

Scott

wow, I wish I would hae known about this workaround a while ago. I was always wondering why UV's werent working in viper . I das not make sense, If chewbaka lives on endor, and hes not a wookie.. it does not make sense. (lil south park humour:)

private
12-07-2003, 06:15 PM
Anyway, Lee said he asked Steve Worley if he could have G2 in a viewport, and Steve did it for him. At least that's what he said to us when he showed his G2 running in a viewport again at the Lightwave World Tour here in NZ.

I doubt that. Why would the video be pulled without an explanation? :rolleyes:

geoff3dnz
12-07-2003, 08:55 PM
I thought there was an explanation - it had nothing to do with Lightwave 8, and was just G2.

When it was taken down, there were lots of people were running around saying, "Ooooh! G2 is in Lighwave 8!!!! I saw it!!!" so Worley cleared it up with the official statement, "No, it isn't."

I have seen G2. I have also seen G2 run in a viewport window in Layout which is what all the commotion was about, and the only place I've seen that is on Lee's laptop. He showed us all at the seminar. It seemed that it had nothing to do with LW8. He said it was custom for him, and I've got no reason to assume otherwise.

Look, I'd love to be proven wrong, and come the release of 8 maybe I will be, but everyone's got this little conspiracy theory thing going, and it's probably only going to disappoint people. :)

private
12-07-2003, 09:01 PM
Fair enough, but it was during all the sneak peaks of LW8 features, wasn't it. There were videos on undos and some others, then as specific G2ish video, that got pulled really quickly.

I don't know if it's a conspiracy theory, but more of putting two and two together. Yes, I guess it's a wait and see approach.

I'm also really curious when LW8 does finally come out, to see what, if any, the Video Toaster elements that were much talked about influence LW8's developments.

DigiLusionist
12-07-2003, 09:24 PM
It's about that time in the thread to either post some more LW8 screen shots, or just close it.

It's turning into another one of those meandering topic threads that have little to do with the original topic...

WilliamVaughan
12-08-2003, 07:15 AM
Funny how that happens....this was a nice clean thread that was on topic....for about 4 hours :)

colkai
12-08-2003, 07:22 AM
Hey Proton,
That in itself is some sort of record innit? ;)

Anyway - how about a 'light types' screen shot? We've seen the new funky shaped lights and seeing as I'm obsessed with light types at present, any hints on changes there? ;)

(See - I brought it back on topic! :D)

riki
12-08-2003, 07:23 AM
Well the threads not going to get back on track unless proton posts more screenshots.

cresshead
12-08-2003, 07:39 AM
i'd like to see how lightwave can do near/far attenuation of lights like how 3dsmax can...i've just been teaching a lighting module in max and would like to move the tutorial over to lightwave but i'm looking to see how i can get round the lack of attenuation controls in lightwave..anyone?

steveg

Dick Ma
12-08-2003, 11:30 AM
Cresshead:

I saw some tutorials about the near/far attenuation of lights like the 3dsmax and I am attracted and fasinated about. And I would like to see someone can achieve these effects in LW.

A Mejias
12-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Yup, that's another feature I've asked for since about version 5.6. :p

cresshead
12-08-2003, 03:44 PM
since we're all waiting for news on what's next to be shown in lightwave 8...as a sort of side show i've been looking at max lights against lightwave lights....

even without attenuation i've managed to get a similar result to the max scene.

also note that the lw scene has the metal ring that holds the shade in place and the shade itself has a certain amount of translucency.

i'd like to be able to control the density[darkness and colour] of the shadow from the lights so if anyone know's how...give me a hint!

not photoreal but i'm happy that i can move a max lesson over to lw even without some of the lighting tools that max has.

Elmar Moelzer
12-09-2003, 01:34 AM
Hmm, I think that MAXs "attenuation" is what is called " falloff" in LW, or what is the difference? Anyone dare to explain?
You can control the shadow- color in LW. The darkness of the shadows would probably be best controlled with filli- lights.
Also without wanting to start an app- war here, but LWs rendering looks much, much better...

CU
Elmar

Hervé
12-09-2003, 01:46 AM
no no, Brazil renders look very good.... com' on Elmar, these 2 renders kinda look the same, it 's not like the Max one is awfully s....t and the LW one is marvelous..... not at that point.... he he.... but I do get your point Elmar, and off course I am a convinced LW'er..... he he

we shold all send a small Xmas gift to the New NT coders team, just to say we are confident ....

kfinla
12-09-2003, 02:39 AM
Generally I think LW8 looks awesome, I can't wait to use it in the new year, and theres definately alot of features that will be well recieved. RIG import, dope sheet, RIGID bodies, the list goes on.

WILL THERE BE "open EXR" support, the replacement/update for HDR??

And how is the MAC port going? Will ACS 4 be able to work with LW8? It currently does not with LW 7.5c on the mac.

Hervé
12-09-2003, 03:12 AM
LW 7,5 already supports EXR format :D