PDA

View Full Version : But Seriously, have you checked out Blend Swap

djwaterman
02-28-2015, 02:18 AM
A seemingly endless supply of good to excellent free models. Just open in Blender and export to obj, load into LW assign all the texture maps and save as LWOs.

Vong
02-28-2015, 10:48 PM
Or you can install this exporter : http://www.ewocprojects.be/lwoexport.html and load into Blender, then export directly to an LWO! :-)

djwaterman
03-01-2015, 12:49 AM
Even more awesome.

Surrealist.
03-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Blender has a .lwo exporter already. Just enable the addon.

Better yet, simply export your file as fbx import it into Layout and all of the surfaces and textures come with it, and saves a directory with .lwo

jeric_synergy
03-01-2015, 12:28 PM
!?!?! Blender exports directly to LWO? SURFACES INCLUDED???

Meshes are pretty easy, but Surfaces would be very impressive-- is that the case?

lertola2
03-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up. This could be handy.

Surrealist.
03-01-2015, 04:14 PM
!?!?! Blender exports directly to LWO? SURFACES INCLUDED???

Meshes are pretty easy, but Surfaces would be very impressive-- is that the case?

Clarification. fbx is the best and material slots (and base color) yes. Other attributes no. The lwo in Blender is for .lwo import only. My bad there I forgot. But fbx is the way to go. It will transfer and keep all of the images and material slots they are assigned to intact with UV maps etc.

Vong
03-01-2015, 04:35 PM
I've had issues in the past where materials/textures would turn out really dark (almost black) or black when importing an FBX exported from Blender. I could never pin point what the issue was either, not that I spent a lot of time on it. Deadlines.

Another thing to keep in mind is what rendering engine is being used in Blender. For example, simple colors applied to different polygons would export with both FBX and LWO Exporter and show up in LW when exporting using Blender Internal, but only give you the surface names when exporting from Cycles.

Surrealist.
03-01-2015, 06:35 PM
Yeah Cycles is another animal. The black issue you are referring to us usually when you go in and play with the materials in Blender. Can't remember if it is the reflectivity channel or what, but yes, I have seen this.

In general if you are going to be setting up materials, do it in LightWave. You can do assignments of material slots (Surfaces in LightWave) and apply images and UV maps. That will all come through.

djwaterman
03-01-2015, 07:17 PM
The black issue might be the diffusion is set down to zero when you bring it into LW, so just take that back up to 100. I'll definitely try the FBX option as well.

vonpietro
03-02-2015, 01:58 AM
some really decent models on there.

Spaceboy64
03-05-2015, 10:53 PM
Thanks. Blender used to have import and export for Lightwave. Recently, it doesn't come as a default option. I found it once and installed it, but I can't remember where. They should include it. It was really great to be able to go over to Blender for some sculpting and bring it back to Lightwave. I am looking now for an explanation of exporting to Lightwave with the Multi-res modifier. That would be great.

vonpietro
03-05-2015, 10:59 PM
please let us know what you find spaceboy64

djwaterman
03-06-2015, 01:46 AM
It has a LW importer that you have to check on in the user preferences, and there's that exporter that is mentioned further up the page by Vong http://www.ewocprojects.be/lwoexport.html. It works but keep in mind some blender objects might have modifiers on them that have to be applied first to convert them to actual geometry, such as mirror for example.

Loading these models into blender and hitting render or looking through the settings is a good way to begin getting to know Blender.