PDA

View Full Version : proceduralism

vonpietro
02-27-2015, 07:45 PM
https://vimeo.com/120639714?from=facebook

He talks about something he calls proceduralism.

This is definitely something i'd like to see more in lightwave. Linked with instancing of course.

I think advanced placement plugin has the right idea for stuff like this.

however Houdini is clearly got some very interesting things going on.

The one that made me drool the most was the table - a slider to offset the chairs,
a slider to add and offset goblets on the table.

That kind of thing in seconds is very interesting.

does anyone know of anyone doing anything like this in Lightwave? (besides advanced placement)

Perhaps newtek might want to look into stuff like this for the next generation of instancing!!
We kind of have something like this with instancing (rotation) sorta.
peter

pinkmouse
02-28-2015, 02:36 AM
It's not instancing. It's the creation of real geometry on the fly, something that layout can't do. Houdini objects created via procedural actually exist, so they can be shattered, used in collisions etc. Layout instances don't really exist, they're just like holograms of the first object, so you can see them, but not touch them. Yes, you can bake them, but then you have no more control over them than a normal object.

I spent a couple of days trying to replicate one of the many Houdini "bar stool " construction tutorials in LW, with huge amounts of hidden geometry, lots of DP kit and tons of maths nodes. then it crossed my mind, I had taken two days to get about two thirds the way through the tutorial. If I was costing my time, I could have bought Houdini Indie with one days wages, and spent the next day following the online tutorials and had the better result with half a day to spare...