PDA

View Full Version : Viewport Clipping in Modeller

Douglas M
02-27-2015, 01:03 PM
I have a file in modeller and as I move in on an object in perspective view the view of the model starts to clip, oddly enough from further to closer, not the other way around. When this kind of thing happens in Layout, the closed bracket keys adjusting grid size solves any problem, but in modeller I can't find where to fix this.

Happens in textured or wireframe.

Driving me a little crazy... Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Doug

JoePoe
02-27-2015, 01:20 PM
I just select a poly, hit shift a (fit selected), deselect. Should clear it up.

Douglas M
02-27-2015, 04:33 PM
Sounded good, but when I try it the problem remains. Very strange. Thanks for the reply though.

Doug

Greenlaw
02-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Maybe the Perspective Amount is too high? Press 'D' and see if lowering the value helps.

Also try Shift-A without anything selected. This should fit the entire model to the view. It's the same as what Joe Poe said above but for everything in the visible layers. I don't know if that will help differently but try it anyway. If anything, maybe it will reveal a lost item in the distance that needs to be deleted or moved? Just a thought.

G.

Douglas M
02-27-2015, 06:02 PM
Not sure what you mean by Perspective Amount. When I press D and it brings up the display options there is nothing in the settings regarding that.

Alas the Shift A doesn't work for me either.

Thanks though,

Doug

ernpchan
02-27-2015, 06:39 PM
Not sure what you mean by Perspective Amount. When I press D and it brings up the display options there is nothing in the settings regarding that.

Alas the Shift A doesn't work for me either.

Thanks though,

Doug

It should be in the Layout tab of your Modeler Display Options.

Greenlaw
02-27-2015, 06:44 PM
Yes, after you press 'D' you should see a parameter for Perspective Amount directly under the Layout popup list and directly above Background Color. I think the default value is 500. Dialing it to a lower value reduces the perspective amount, flattening out the preview. Sometimes when I'm working on a really long object, like an aircraft carrier, jumbo airliner or even a long piece of rope, I need to reduce the Perspective Amount to prevent clipping in the Perspective View.

G.

Douglas M
03-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Bingo... Many thanks. Must be suffering selective blindness. Perspective Amount is right there in the very obvious place you stated. Dropping the value cured the problem to some extent, though not completely. I can move in closer to things, but even setting the value down to 0 On a large model I can't move in really tight on a small piece of it to do some detail work.... Oh, let me revise that... I can if combine the reduced perspective amount with Shift A and a few chosen poly's I can get in as close as I want.

All very interesting. I've been working for years in a very different 3D modeller (formZ) and have gotten very used to a certain interface and approach. It's just taking me a lot to wrap my head around Lightwave's particular style. Love the potential and power of the program, but changing from approaching things primarily as a solid modeller to thinking as a polygon modeller is taking a while.

Thanks for your help.

Doug

Greenlaw
03-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Try selecting only the polygons in the area you're working on and press Shift-a (as Joe Poe suggested above.) This forces the viewport to adjust itself to the selected area. This in combination with the PA adjustment should do the trick.

If it's a really complicated model, it may help to break some elements out into separate layers. This makes it easier to manage the views (just press a for each layer.) You can always merge everthing back to the main layer later, although there may be advantages in Layout to keeping some elements separated. For example, if you have a complex spaceship model, you may want to keep 'nurnies' in a separate layer so you can disable and set the layer to box mode in Layout to speed up animation and test renders.

That's just workflow suggestion based on how I work but don't stop trying other approaches. Eventually, you'll figure out what works best for your type of modeling projects and your working style.

G.

Snosrap
03-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Oh, let me revise that... I can if combine the reduced perspective amount with Shift A and a few chosen poly's I can get in as close as I want. That's it!