PDA

View Full Version : importing coreldraw drawings ?

jpbrooks
12-02-2003, 06:34 AM
How does one import coreldraw drawings into Lightwave ?

trentonia
12-02-2003, 07:30 AM
What exactly do you mean? Do you want to import lines from Corel that you can use to lathe or extrude, or do you want to import images for backdrops/textures?

A Mejias
12-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Save them as Illustrator AI or EPS version 8 format. Then inport that file into Modeler.

jpbrooks
12-03-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by trentonia
What exactly do you mean? Do you want to import lines from Corel that you can use to lathe or extrude, or do you want to import images for backdrops/textures?

I am an architect. I design and master plan mixed use developments using coreldraw. So I want to import the line drawings of my site plans. The drawings will serve as a base to extrude to create a model of the development. Then I can use the model to create animations or other visuals to assist in the development and design process.
But I also prepare elevation studies in coreldraw and would like to import these as texture maps OR to extrude.

jpbrooks
12-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by trentonia

Got the right file format figured out from LW support documents. But the import command in LW doesn't give me any options for file formats to be imported......am I missing something in another menu somewhere ?

kangonto
12-04-2003, 03:22 AM
I use Corel and Lightwave to render architectural visualizations.

First, I import DWG files (up to Autocad 2002 files) to Corel Draw using milimeters as units. By rescaling it to 2000% I obtain an exact 1:50 scale. Then I redraw interesting parts using the imported DWG as a template. After that, I export those parts as EPS files.

From Lightwave I import those EPS files and set Scale to 0.0176 in Import Dialog. This gives me an almost exact 1:1 scale (not exact because the lack of precision of the EPS import plugin. You'll guess that 0.0176 its rounded)

Hope this helps.

trentonia
12-04-2003, 09:03 AM
Corel drawings that you want to use as a texture need to be converted to some sort of bitmap i.e. .tif, .tga, .jpg. Files that you want to pull in for extrusion can be exported as a .dwg, .dxf, or .eps. As I recall, you can pull in dwg and dxf through the open file command, whereas, eps needs to be imported.