PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX help please

tonyrizo2003
02-27-2015, 12:25 AM
I am new to FFX, and I have my model split up into separate surface names to apply different styles to each area. Is that the proper way to do it? Do I have to clone the object and do everything on a per surface basis that way? Because if I check mark the surface names under one object, it affects the surfaces globally, also is there a good video tutorial and guides in modeler, I have seen some screen shots where it looks like you can comb the guides as you would in layout, however, I am amiss if I can figure out how to do that. Here is the character that I am trying to recreate. Thank you for any help.
~Tony :)

creacon
02-27-2015, 07:22 AM
Do you have plans to rig and animate this afterwards?
If that is the case I wouldn't loose my time with FFX, for a still you should be OK.

creacon

I am new to FFX, and I have my model split up into separate surface names to apply different styles to each area. Is that the proper way to do it? Do I have to clone the object and do everything on a per surface basis that way? Because if I check mark the surface names under one object, it affects the surfaces globally, also is there a good video tutorial and guides in modeler, I have seen some screen shots where it looks like you can comb the guides as you would in layout, however, I am amiss if I can figure out how to do that. Here is the character that I am trying to recreate. Thank you for any help.
~Tony :)

tonyrizo2003
02-27-2015, 07:58 AM
no plans to animate, just a still at this time.

johnliebler
02-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Find the thread by Greenlaw about his short "Brudders" He has done extensive testing with animating FiberFx, and is probably the best resource on the forums. And I just have to say: I absolutely love that character! Great concept!

MAUROCOR
02-27-2015, 12:42 PM
For my experience, you can make only one surface to the character where you need to apply FFX and control everything using WEIGHT MAPS OR A GRAYSCALE IMAGE MAP. You can control MAX FIBER DENSITY or SCALE for example. There is no need spliting the object in diferent surfaces. The only part I sugest you to use guides is to the mustache. I think it would work well.

Greenlaw
02-27-2015, 02:22 PM
It is per surface. Normally, that's what you want because there may be areas of the object that you don't hair/fur to grow on, like clothing, eyeballs, teeth, tongue, etc.

Also, normally, all the surfaces will share the same FiberFX settings. Change one, it is updates them all the same way. As Maucor suggests, you vary the settings in different regions by using masks or weight maps.

HOWEVER, note that FiberFX settings on a character do not have to be global because you can clone a FiberFX instance and using different settings on each instance. For example, you can have short straight hair in one instance and long curly hair in another and, as Maurocor suggests, you can use a mask or weight map to reveal the different FiberFX settings in different areas of the object. (IMO, it's easier to work with a grayscale image, especially if you have 3DC or ZBrush, but check your CS settings before starting--that might affect how the image is read by FiberFX. (Or maybe not. I'm just assuming it will.))

To clone an instance of FiberFX, right click on the object in the FiberFX panel and select Clone. A copy will appear right below it and you can enable or disable surfaces differently between each instance. I you want to see the OGL preview, be sure to click the eyeball for the second instance, otherwise all the guides will be invisible for the second instance.

Note: I try to keep the OGL guides previews minimal, as it can affect performance when moving the camera or animating the character, especially if the hair/fur is really dense. In fact, I disable FiberFX completely when animating--really, it's just not necessary to have it on for that. FYI, it's important to distinguish Disable and Deactivate. To disable FiberFX, simply uncheck the surfaces. If you click DEACTIVATE instead, you will lose all your settings. And speaking of settings, make sure you save your settings as your design your hair/fur. This way, you can try variations, and if you go astray, you can always get back to a version you were previously happy with.

Tip: Sometimes, you may want to mix settings on the same surfaces without masking. This is useful if you want apply a dense but short 'fill' layer for the base and a less dense long fur layer mixed in. I use this technique for animalas but it's good for human head hair too. (I used to do the same trick with Sasquatch by applying multiple instances of Sasquatch on the same object.)

Hope this info is helpful. I've got a bunch of other useful tips too and someday I'll get them collected and posted. (It's on my endless 'To Do' list--I swear! Sigh.) :)

G.

Greenlaw
02-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Oh, I should qualify the above by saying it's been a while since I last used FiberFX in production and I haven't used it in 2015.2 yet. It should work the same way in 2015.2 but I can't guarantee it personally yet.

G.

tonyrizo2003
02-27-2015, 02:37 PM
Find the thread by Greenlaw about his short "Brudders" He has done extensive testing with animating FiberFx, and is probably the best resource on the forums. And I just have to say: I absolutely love that character! Great concept!

Thanks but I cannot take credit for the character design, I am not that talented. Here is a link to the artists website that created the character.
https://www.pinterest.com/source/zacretz.blogspot.fr/

- - - Updated - - -

It is per surface. Normally, that's what you want because there may be regions of object that you don't hair/fur to grow on, like clothing, eyeballs, teeth, tongue, etc.

Also, normally, all the surfaces will share the same FiberFX settings. Change one, it is updates them all the same way. As Maucor suggests, you vary the settings in different regions by using masks or weight maps.

HOWEVER, note that FiberFX settings on a character do not have to be global because you can clone a FiberFX instance and using different settings on each instance. For example, you can have short hair in one instance and long hair in another and, as Maurocor suggests, you can use a mask or weight map to reveal the different FiberFX settings in different areas of the object. (IMO, it's easier to work with a grayscale image, especially if you have 3DC or ZBrush, but check your CS settings before starting--that might affect how the image is read by FiberFX. (Or maybe not. I'm just assuming it will.))

To clone an instance of FiberFX, right click on the object in the FiberFX panel and select Clone. A copy will appear right below it and you can enable or disable surfaces differently between each instance. I you want to see the OGL preview, be sure to click the eyeball for the second instance, otherwise all the guides will be invisible for the second instance.

Note: I try to keep the OGL guides previews minimal, as it can affect performance when moving the camera or animating the character, especially if the hair/fur is really dense. In fact, I disable FiberFX completely when animating--really, it's just not necessary to have it on for that. FYI, it's important to distinguish Disable and Deactivate. To disable FiberFX, simply uncheck the item. If you click DEACTIVATE instead, you will lose all your settings. And speaking of settings, make sure you save your settings as your design your hair/fur. This way, you can try variations, and if you go astray, you can always get back to a version you were previously happy with.

Tip: Sometimes, you may want to mix settings on the same surfaces without masking. This is useful if you want apply a dense but short 'fill' layer for the base and a less dense long fur layer mixed in. I use this technique for animalas but it's good for human head hair too. (I used to do the same trick with Sasquatch by applying multiple instances of Sasquatch on the same object.)

Hope this info is helpful. I've got a bunch of other useful tips too and someday I'll get them collected and posted. (It's on my endless 'To Do' list--I swear! Sigh.) :)

G.

Thanks DR!!

Yeah I remember Yancy! I hope he is well, if you see him tell I said hello!

Oh the endless 'To Do List' I know how it is!

Greenlaw
02-27-2015, 03:16 PM
You probably already know this but here are a few other 'basic' FiberFX things to be aware of.

I you're using Edit Guides, you need to save your object when you're done. Edit Guides settings are saved with the object file just like Surface changes. It's actually an embedded VMap (or multiple VMaps is you make more than one style. BTW, you can't access this VMap in Modeler like other VMaps, it's only available to Edit Guides.

FiberFX settings need t be saved separately if you want to apply them in another scene. Alternatively, you can use Load Items From Scene to import FiberFX from an existing scene but, in my experience, it may be more reliable to just import the settings file.

As mentioned above, my comments here may not be completely up-to-date for 2015.2 but I think they are.

G.

Greenlaw
02-27-2015, 03:27 PM
I don't know if this is still true but I just remembered another important thing: the character needs to be in its rest pose in frame 0 ,or maybe more specifically whichever frame you enable FiberFX at. Otherwise, the Fibers may point the wrong way when you animate or change it's pose. Normally, I'll disable an existing rig when setting up FiberFX, and enable it when I'm done. Something like that anyways. (Sorry, I'm working from memory, and it's been a long time.)

I'm completely guessing here but I think what happens is that FiberFX grabs the character's normals data when it's activated on and it uses that data as a reference point for how to grow the fibers. So, if you have symmetrical character but he's posed asymmetrically or moved from it origin in frame 0 (or where you activate FiberFX) the fibers might not align with the character properly. BTW, I think you should always activate FiberFX at frame 0--it's just easier.

G.

tonyrizo2003
02-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Again DR thank you for your invaluable help!!

tonyrizo2003
02-28-2015, 02:45 AM
Here is the latest version of Elemunk, I think he's getting there, the shape of his body is pretty good, its trying to wrangle FFX that is proving to be challenging.