PDA

View Full Version : Maya keyboard with LW

velvetelvis
02-26-2015, 09:16 AM
Hi - Beginners question... I'm hoping to move all my workflow except modelling over to lightwave from Maya (mainly because of genoma) and I'd like to use the basic Maya shortcuts (for orbit, pan zoom and W, E, R for trans, rot and scale - even these 6 I would be happy with). I tried the lightkeys plug in but it doesn't seem to work for me. Is there another way I can configure keyboard preferences?
Thanks in advance.

prometheus
02-26-2015, 09:35 AM
Canīt help, just promote the lw team to implement it directly in the lw code, I think itīs a little weird they havenīt gotten around to that yet.

Michael

velvetelvis
02-26-2015, 10:16 AM
Thanks Michael,

I've realized since posting that with lightkeys you have to run the .exe file every time you use it. However I'd still like to know if you can set up the spacebar to toggle quad view/single window view. Any thoughts?

3dbr
02-26-2015, 10:28 AM
if I understood correctly:
Alt+F9 __ Configure Keys
Save a backup copy of it.
Change the Key Command in your preferences will automatically new. Don't forget to assign the new command on the keys, which were replaced by.
To return to the old upload backup.

Danner
02-26-2015, 10:37 AM
Most shortcuts are modifyable, Except the ones related to navigation or viewports... Some people are giving lightwave extra configurability by using AutoHotKey.

Here is a thread about that
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?61855-LW-AutoHotKey-Repository/

Surrealist.
02-26-2015, 11:21 AM
Thanks Michael,

I've realized since posting that with lightkeys you have to run the .exe file every time you use it. However I'd still like to know if you can set up the spacebar to toggle quad view/single window view. Any thoughts?

As mentioned you can use the configure keys panel. This and the menu config panel are both key to customizing your LightWave experience. So it would be a good idea to look those up in the manual. For instance you can look on the keybord short for instance and click "Find" to see what it is mapped to. And the other way around. See what function is mapped to which key. Then assign new relationships.

It is usually a good idea to save your configs because there are times when you want to purposely delete them (or rename as I like to do) if they become corrupt similar to deleting your Maya folder, so it can be re-written, and sometimes installation or upgrades can write them over. Not sure how that works these days, but it has happened to me in the past.

Anyway in this editor you will find that 0 is mapped to full view and Space bar is mapped to Change Tool. You can simply rearrange these if you want and have the space bar expand to full view like in Maya. So if you have it set to quad (F4 and F3 to cycle through them) you can then have it set up similar to Maya.

Here is a tutorial I just found:

http://www.lynda.com/LightWave-tutorials/Working-menu-keyboard-configurations/71924/81735-4.html

Might have to sign up to use it though.

velvetelvis
02-27-2015, 03:39 AM
Thanks everyone - thats all very helpful & this seems a good forum. I think Newtek would get a lot more animators migrating from Maya if they put a simple keyboard mapping choice at start up the way Blender does.

bobakabob
02-27-2015, 03:59 AM
If you're into animating you'll enjoy Genoma autorigging which is fast and effective. Also do check out RHiggit which takes LW as close to Maya as you can get.
Similar to Maya's referencing, in LW you can also swap characters on and off rigs with ease.

erikals
02-27-2015, 03:59 AM
http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.pngvelvetelvis
...put a simple keyboard mapping choice at start up the way Blender does.

i think that's a good idea... for now, on PC, do this...

install autohotkey.com
and then run this file (put it in startup folder)