PDA

View Full Version : Another problem with remakes...RoboCop!

shrox
02-25-2015, 08:29 PM
I had avoided the movie because I just expected it to be a insipid copy, it was actually pretty good, but not really RoboCop, it could have been a stand alone movie. That kind of bugs me when an ingrained icon is taken and changed so much that it is actually new and good on it's own, but tied to a known franchise just for name value.

Waves of light
02-26-2015, 07:04 AM
I didn't want to watch as I knew it wasn't going to live up to the original. Straight away it was obvious that it was going to be a drummed down version, because they needed it to carry the 12 or PG-13 rating to get more money in at the box office.

And this is my point, if you're going to use the name, then you should be pulling things in from the original. It has to retain some connection. And what's with the storylines... the way they have kept the family in, instead of just flashbacks to family memories. The way Murphy is actually injured: car bomb v shot to hell by the bad guys. And don't get me started on the ending SPOILER ALERT where he shoots Keaton /SPOILER ALERT.

The whole point of the original was it was gritty, violent, and set in an apocalyptic future where crime had taken over. But by taking those aspects away, yes, I suppose it can only sit on its own.

I did, however, think the VFX were very good... I was expecting different, but it was quite pleasing and I sort of forgot a lot of it was CG.

adrian
02-26-2015, 07:26 AM
Agree with all the comments above. I thought the remake was ok but I watched the original soon after seeing the new one and thought the '87 one was far superior (even if one of the big machines looks like it's a mens shaver!)

Davewriter
02-26-2015, 08:05 PM
There was just something about the Stop Motion work on ED 209.
It was a real character. You could sense it making decisions.
In the new version, the EDs were just big robots.
Yes they looked better - but the performance was never there.
And overall I just liked the original better.
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Waves of light
02-27-2015, 04:26 AM
Yes, I agree Davewriter. The way ED moves in the original is menacing. It's a huge thing, making slow decisions.

safetyman
02-27-2015, 04:59 AM
Why won't Hollywood learn? They cripple a movie for a PG-13 rating and STILL don't make any money from it. The original RoboCop would have been a dud if it had been cleaned up for a PG or PG-13 rating. Please, Hollywood, let Paul Verhoven loose and quit hamstringing these movies.

short223
03-05-2015, 11:22 AM
The first originally got a "X" rating (before NC17) because of some of the violence and had to be toned down. I believe the director's cut put some of it back?

Waves of light
03-05-2015, 11:32 AM
The first originally got a "X" rating (before NC17) because of some of the violence and had to be toned down. I believe the director's cut put some of it back?

I didn't know there was a director's cut version!!!

short223
03-05-2015, 01:06 PM
I didn't know there was a director's cut version!!!

http://www.amazon.com/RoboCop-Unrated-Directors-Cut-Blu-ray/dp/B00GST8UB8

Waves of light
03-05-2015, 01:28 PM
http://www.amazon.com/RoboCop-Unrated-Directors-Cut-Blu-ray/dp/B00GST8UB8

Oh sweet.

Greenlaw
03-05-2015, 04:45 PM
***SPOILER ALERT***

From what I recall, Murphy's murder is extended and more graphic in the DC. I think that was the main difference.

shrox
03-05-2015, 05:37 PM
***SPOILER ALERT***

From what I recall, Murphy's murder is extended and more graphic in the DC. I think that was the main difference.

Yes. it's like 20 minutes of Murphy getting shot. Well, maybe not that long...

Ryan Roye
03-06-2015, 06:24 PM
epilogue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TPeWAgzwi4