robertoortiz
02-24-2015, 08:30 AM
Cool video from back in the day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j37F7kZeyPE

So what have we gained since then?
What have we lost?

jasonwestmas
02-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Hard to believe that software is even related to LW 2015.

50one
02-24-2015, 09:52 AM
So what have we gained since then?

a lot of weight I could imagine for the most of you that is.

ianr
02-24-2015, 11:00 AM
Ain't nothing wrong with that AT THE TIME ~~~

Why, I remembering loading up BAB 5 big Station

and zooming in, gasps from everyone, including

the Cat, of the time.

But on reflection, it was like

'looking through a glass darkly'

vipvip242
02-24-2015, 01:28 PM
nice ! thanks for this ! It makes me remember good times :).
Amigas were wonderfull machines...
Rob, For your question , surely we've gain power and technical knowledge but perhaps this makes us loose some fresh enthousiasm too for creating ( i'm regulary asking myself about that )...

Chrusion
02-24-2015, 02:33 PM
I boggles my mind that I was even able to create that Babylon 5 station on LW 2.0 back in '93 with only HAM8 images, L O N G "F9" render times just to see a color version of what was contained in bounding boxes that eventually resolved to wireframes.

Axis3d
02-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Ahh, the days before openGL display. I bought into the Toaster with version 2.0. Back in the day when all the code for Lightwave fit on a few floppy disks!

02-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Makes me laugh and wonder...

At that time, I was developing a lab with VT 1.0. As well, Imagine was our 3D option, along with Organica.
I saw LW as "too expensive" to teach en masse so left LW alone. (Shaking head...)
Dabbled but never bought into LW until Imagine committed suicide and I was left without a program. Real3d looked so sexy but the cost was stupid.
Got into LW at 6.0 for myself; the school, on my return, got in at 9.

What have we gained?
3D being given away to schools. LW can't compete in this environment. I'm going to be pushed from LW to a free AutoDesk tool or a request for Blender, as I had this year, because it has depth and is hard.

The Cult feeling is gone; gained was the reality of the product we love, LW, becoming a tool, rather than some sh** we love. We couldn't love it... a loss.

We've gained a kickarsed VT in the modern era: The TriCaster line. We have a 460 and I tell ya: they figured it out.

Man... memories. Lot's of stuff gained. Lots lost. Or, better said, lots set aside for that that was gained.

lcress
02-26-2015, 10:53 AM
Wow! That does bring back memories.

Back then my friend had just bought a Toaster for his Amiga. I was struggling to coax animation out of a Cubicomp. When I saw LW I couldn't believe how simple and easy the interface was. It just worked! When LW was released standalone I rushed out and bought an Amiga.

What we have gained is a lot more buttons.

What we have lost is simplicity and wonder.

Surrealist.
02-26-2015, 11:45 AM
That's very cool. Thanks for posting. The thing I take away from that is at the time LightWave was such a liberating tool to find. Not only within the context of what was available, but within the context of my voracious appetite for technology related to making films. As others may have looked at the first LightWave demos on the Toaster as a great way to do motion graphics, I was thinking, "Hey, a studio in a box... how cool is that? How can I use that to finish my film? Obviously I was not alone. And in a few years LightWave dongle owners (affectionately referred to as the Video Toaster by video guys) started asking to be untethered from probably the largest dongle in history! Finally it happened and that was a good day.

And the funny thing about it is I am still the same way. I still have the same appetite for technology.

The difference today is, things have come full circle, the same tools that where available only on large systems and 6 figure budgets when LightWave came out are now available for a fraction of what a video toaster system cost back then. And they offer way more functionality. So today more people have access to these tools. And it is something that is getting even better, cheaper and more accessible.

While I do look back at that time with some revere, I also feel the same way today. Even more so, as I see the tools coming available to realize the more "outlandish" dreams I had back then.

kopperdrake
02-27-2015, 02:42 AM

Funny, I get that same feeling when I look in the mirror :D

pinkmouse
02-27-2015, 03:01 AM

Oh, it definitely is, I couldn't have got up and running so quickly on LW11 if I hadn't had the experience of using LW4 all those years ago.

roboman
02-27-2015, 09:10 AM
A computer was released that was hugely better at graphics then any other at the time. It was so much better that it took others a decade to catch up. The computer was largely ignored, even the company making it had more focus on promoting and selling it's old 8 bit line. A group of people figured out how to make that computer do video editing at a time when only a room full of high dollar equipment could do video editing. Several hobby people figured out how to make that computer do 3D and animation. It all came together and was highlighted in a tv show that put out animated fx much faster and much better then had ever been done on tv before. People looked and saw that the option was open to them to do something really impressive that people hadn't been able to do before. It was all new and magical.

What has been lost. Well the 'new' and much of the magic. The excitement of hay! Look at what I can do! People doing lots of little shorts or just a shot showing off something they figured out. People posting tutorials. Books flying out the door with every change. I just reread a book , probably written by some one here, where an apprentice wizard is learning to do 3D and is getting all excited about what he wants to do and the wizard tells him that's more then he can do with the tools he has. I realized that was no longer true, lightwave could do all the stuff he was dreaming of doing. Mostly the excited kids are using what ever the schools gave them for free or blender. Lots of excited posting 'oh wow, look what I did' sort of things on the the blender forum. The pro's seem to be using what ever the big studios use or what ever they were handed at school.