PDA

View Full Version : LW11,6 vs 2015

ige
02-24-2015, 02:06 AM
I use LW11,6,3 for modelling (very little animation) and now I wonder can somebody tell me what I will earn when upgrading to LW 2015 .

MarcusM
02-24-2015, 02:31 AM
You will not get to much as a modeler, few tools improvements, Genoma 2, and free bug fixes in 2015.1 and 2015.2. Everybody know that Modeler need love, for now is depressed and sitting in corner.
On LW site, job offer for modeling developer is from one year now? Hmm what is going on ;]

ianr
02-24-2015, 05:38 AM
All agreed .BUT modeler has a new speedy friend LWBrush,
it is said that ZBrushers are liking this too!
See 3rd Party
plugins Posts.

Ryan Roye
02-24-2015, 06:22 AM
Get LWBrush (http://www.3rdpowers.com/) if you want the biggest boost to modeler for your buck. As simple as the tools seem, a lot of thought has went into how they function and the toolset will essentially replaces a large chunk of modeler's most frequently used native functions with greatly improved versions as well as adding production-worthy sculpting capability. Trust me when I say you'll be hotkeying most of the 3rdpowers tools and using them constantly.

sudac20
02-24-2015, 07:31 AM
Get LWBrush (http://www.3rdpowers.com/) if you want the biggest boost to modeler for your buck. As simple as the tools seem, a lot of thought has went into how they function and the toolset will essentially replaces a large chunk of modeler's most frequently used native functions with greatly improved versions as well as adding production-worthy sculpting capability. Trust me when I say you'll be hotkeying most of the 3rdpowers tools and using them constantly.

Agreed, get LWbrush. LW 2015 is a disappointing update especially if all you do is model.

genesis1
02-24-2015, 10:14 AM
I tried the demo of 2015 and its buggy. Fiber fx crashes as soon as I activate it in 2015, but in 11.6 at least will activate and work even if it still has some problems with losing its hair guide preset in an animation. Would be nice to have a fiber fx in lightwave that would work properly and do as its told though.

gerry_g
02-24-2015, 11:38 AM
modeller update is not disappointing, what's been added is usability and as stated above if you use LW Brush too it's great, besides around eighty percent of the tools I never ever use, Magic Bevel anyone ?

bobakabob
02-24-2015, 01:30 PM
modeller update is not disappointing, what's been added is usability and as stated above if you use LW Brush too it's great, besides around eighty percent of the tools I never ever use, Magic Bevel anyone ?

Agree with all positive comments, this is the most confident and stable incarnation of Modeler yet and if you add LW Brush it takes Lightwave forward to being the cool innovative tool it used to be in the glory days. Add the 3rd Powers Boolean tools (allowing interactive modelling with sub D meshes) and you have an app that is indispensable. PS I use ZBrush and Maya and love 'em both but can't be without Modeler. The only crit I have is that it would be great to see LW3D to raise the polycounts threshold.

Oedo 808
02-24-2015, 01:51 PM

Not if you're high on crack it isn't, but my fear is that someone might use Modeler when not ****ed off their head.

Agree with all positive comments, this is the most confident and stable incarnation of Modeler yet and if you add LW Brush it takes Lightwave forward to being the cool innovative tool it used to be in the glory days. Add the 3rd Powers Boolean tools (allowing interactive modelling with sub D meshes) and you have an app that is indispensable. PS I use ZBrush and Maya and love 'em both but can't be without Modeler. The only crit I have is that it would be great to see LW3D to raise the polycounts threshold.

Certainly if you are willing to add commercial plugins the situation improves greatly, and I think that the shortcomings were recognized, hence the price drop, so it's not all bad.