PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 2015 update 2 is out

hrgiger
02-23-2015, 07:36 PM
The second update to Lightwave 2015 has been released. Change log can be found here: http://static.lightwave3d.com/downloads/installers/lightwave_2015/lightwave_2015-2_change-log_20150223.txt

Snosrap
02-23-2015, 08:57 PM
Looks like some nice fixes in there, especially the " Reloading scene for the second time crashes Layout" fix, been experiencing that a lot lately. What is the last line refer to? "Made the NEW COMMAND "Drop/Restore selection" the default over Drop Selection in the menus and key configurations."

ernpchan
02-23-2015, 09:58 PM
I believe a new toggle command was added that'll drop or restore your selection so they made it the default now.

Lewis
02-24-2015, 12:23 AM
Looks like some nice fixes in there, especially the " Reloading scene for the second time crashes Layout" fix, been experiencing that a lot lately. What is the last line refer to? "Made the NEW COMMAND "Drop/Restore selection" the default over Drop Selection in the menus and key configurations."

It's new tool for restoring dropped selections. You can look at it kinda like Selection undo. Basically very nice addition :).

creacon
02-24-2015, 02:50 AM
I've noticed that there were no updates for the SDK docs, the last update in the docs was for 2015.0.
Does this mean nothing has changed or that they didn't come around to it?

creacon

MSherak
02-24-2015, 05:07 PM
I've noticed that there were no updates for the SDK docs, the last update in the docs was for 2015.0.
Does this mean nothing has changed or that they didn't come around to it?

creacon

Don't think they added anything in the last two updates to the SDK. Atleast not from what I can see.

Greenlaw
02-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Restore Selection is a toggle switch by the way. Use '/' to restore the dropped selection. Press '/' again and it drops it again. Press is again and, etc.,

Nice!

Chris S. (Fez)
02-24-2015, 06:19 PM
Restore Selection is a toggle switch by the way. Use '/' to restore the dropped selection. Press '/' again and it drops it again. Press is again and, etc.,

Nice!

That is nice.

Snosrap
02-24-2015, 07:42 PM
It's new tool for restoring dropped selections. You can look at it kinda like Selection undo. Basically very nice addition :).

Oh I see. Yes it is indeed nice. However it crashes LW when used improperly. :) Here are the steps to reproduce: 1. make a box and select a few verts, polys and edges. 2. Start a new empty object but don't create anything and press "Drop/Restore selection". Notice how it high-lights nothing. :) Now clear Modeler and press "Drop/Restore selection" - instant crash.

Check out the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_bQib6rbMk&feature=youtu.be

jwiede
02-24-2015, 07:49 PM
Just checking on the state of LW2015.2 w.r.t. some known/bug-reported Mac-specific issues, as there weren't that many Mac-specific fixes mentioned in the 2015.2 release notes...

Did the "PRMB vs Instances on Mac" issue get resolved yet (this thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?143193-Photoreal-motion-blur-with-instances-broken-on-a-Mac&p=1396555&viewfull=1#post1396555))?

Instancing also seemed to develop a number of cross-platform issues in LW 2015 as well (f.e. this thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145550-LW2015-Instance-Generator-Parent-Space-with-Time-Offset&p=1420850&viewfull=1#post1420850), and I found instancing quite unstable in the LW 2015 demo on both Mac and Win64).

Is the "FFX Edit menu crashes Layout (Mac)" issue fixed (this thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144626-version-2015-FiberFX-Edit-menu-crashes-Layout&p=1411303&viewfull=1#post1411303))?

How about the "Yosemite fonts vs LW 11.6.x / 2015" issue (this thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145001-Fonts&p=1415461&viewfull=1#post1415461))?

What about the "weirdness if Modeler run before Layout on Mac" issue (this thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145150-Missing-UI-Menu-options-bug-solution-found-but-need-confirmation&p=1417044&viewfull=1#post1417044) and I believe there was also a thread on CGsociety that mentioned similar cfg corruption when Modeler run first)?

Does anyone know if they fixed the issue Nevron registration was having on Mac, where it wouldn't recognize Nevron license properly (this thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144611-Nevron-and-Lightwave-2015&p=1412170&viewfull=1#post1412170))?

Speaking of bugs, is anyone at LW3DG actively assigned to and pursuing the configuration corruption issue that results in corrupted plugin caches/lists? This issue seems to worsen a bit with each new release, yet we've seen very little discussion about attempted fixes, proactive tracking, or such. This is a user data corruption/loss issue that's been frequently occurring for years now (across multiple versions) -- will LW3DG at least give us some update on what's being done to locate and address the problem?

And last, some more general questions/issues: Will any provisions be made for prior customers who used up their trial license with 2015(.0) to acquire a new trial 30-day license to try with 2015.2? It'd be nice if LW3DG would add associated bug numbers (where appropriate) to fix notices in release notes. Also, will there be "2015.2 Known Issues" notes provided at some point?

Thanks!

Greenlaw
02-24-2015, 09:01 PM
Oh I see. Yes it is indeed nice. However it crashes LW when used improperly. :)

Don't use it improperly? :p

G.

jboudreau
02-25-2015, 08:27 AM

Nice!

Hi Guys

I also noticed that you can manipulate the geometry, move, bevel etc and it still restores your selection. This is an awesome addition!! I don't know how many times I've made a selection only to loose it and having no way to get it back. Nice work LW3DG :)

jeric_synergy
02-25-2015, 09:55 AM
One step closer to a Selection History.... wouldn't that be nice?

motivalex
02-25-2015, 12:30 PM
One step closer to a Selection History.... wouldn't that be nice?

I hope this implementation is a step in their design process towards that goal.

jwiede
02-25-2015, 01:16 PM
Don't use it improperly? :p

The behavior shown is a result of sloppy coding (failing to properly init the state machine) and poor testing (it's an obvious test case). It doesn't bode well when even simple new stuff like this isn't being properly reviewed and tested before release to customers, because of what it indicates regarding the general LW development standards and practices.

Greenlaw
02-25-2015, 03:38 PM
Wah! I guess it sucks then. :p

Mr_Q
02-25-2015, 03:48 PM
As for the Drop/Restore tool bug.

This is a known issue and was reported. Literally, one day after release. This tool was implemented fairly late in the release stages of 2015.2 and could have used another week of "use in the field." Its scope of how much it might be effected by Modeler was not assumed to be so wide. I would hardly blasts the devs as "sloppy coders." Actually this is more on the BETA TESTERS shoulders.

P.S. It's a super cool feature and most welcome!

jwiede
02-25-2015, 05:19 PM
As for the Drop/Restore tool bug.

This is a known issue and was reported. Literally, one day after release. This tool was implemented fairly late in the release stages of 2015.2 and could have used another week of "use in the field." Its scope of how much it might be effected by Modeler was not assumed to be so wide. I would hardly blasts the devs as "sloppy coders." Actually this is more on the BETA TESTERS shoulders.

Disagree 100%. This is not a confluence of subtle, unexpected situations where this problem shows up. Every code entity has init- and re-init-phase concerns, just as they have normal- and faulted-termination-phase concerns. They are focus areas for diligent coders because they are historically where the overwhelming majority of structural coding errors occur.

Coders who don't test their own code against such scenarios are being "sloppy" because any dev with more than rudimentary experience/exposure knows and has experienced that those areas are high-risk areas for pathology. During code review, close checking of init / reinit / termination / fault exit scenarios is a basic "SW Dev 101"-level review expectation.

From a testing standpoint, such scenarios should be mandatorily covered in the test plan cases, that's a "SW Test 101"-level expectation. As mandatory test cases their usage should be tested well prior to any customer exposure. In fact, they would need to make it through both the dev's own module-level tests AND the formal test plan case testing to reach even alpha, let alone beta-testers and that's still before customers themselves. So, to review, let's consider where failures had to occur (presuming basic "reasonable engineering practices" at LW3DG) for this bug to reach customers:

1. Implementing dev did not catch during own code module testing, despite being in a obvious/high-risk part of the code.
2. Bug was not noticed during code review, again despite being in a section of high-risk code that should receive extra scrutiny by reviewers.
3. Either was never part of test plan in first place (so not tested) (A), or was present in plan but either passed test due to inadequate test coverage or wasn't tested despite plan (B) -- can't determine externally which occurred, moot because should have been caught and resolved in test plan use case review.
4. Either present or resolved test plan use case would result in test being created and run to yield failure, so use case was either never tested or false positive result occurred.

The issue getting past both #1 and #2 requires sloppy/poor development practices present. For the paths in #'s 3-4 which led to code change passing testing to occur again requires sloppy/poor testing practices present. Given the chain of consecutive responsibility lapses needed for such an error to even reach beta testers, it is grossly unfair to try to put the principal blame for this issue on beta (or even alpha) testers.

Does that make the feature itself "crap"? Of course not. It doesn't even mean the implementation is "crap". It DOES indicate disturbing lapses in both development and testing process (or dev/test diligence adhering to process). If even obvious use case _and_ implementation phase issues like this aren't being caught, then bugs in less obvious usage cases, or more subtle in implementation, stand next to no chance of being caught. It demonstrates an acute lack of concern/diligence for product quality across multiple stages/groups of LW development, which is a serious problem by any rational business standard.

Greenlaw
02-25-2015, 06:04 PM
I'm just happy they're working on improving Modeler. :)

G.

wesleycorgi
02-25-2015, 10:12 PM
It demonstrates an acute lack of concern/diligence for product quality across multiple stages/groups of LW development, which is a serious problem by any rational business standard.

Sure, LW3DG probably should have caught this, but even major companies with seemingly limitless resources (internal and large groups of beta testers) still have major problems. For example, there were significant issues with the last two major releases of Apple iOS. Another example was few Mac OS X versions ago, I was amongst the hundreds (probably thousands) that were "hosed" because the install process deleted the main user account.

dblincoe
02-25-2015, 10:24 PM
Think I found a bug. Can someone verify. Cannot animate envelope on orthographic camera's Vertical Size. I am wanting to animate a zoom on the orthographic camera. Thanks.

Lewis
02-26-2015, 01:57 AM
I'm just happy they're working on improving Modeler. :)

G.

Ok we got few small things but let's not stretch it to "working" on modeler :). It's more like maintaining it on life support :D ;).

Andy Webb
02-26-2015, 04:44 AM
Ok we got few small things but let's not stretch it to "working" on modeler :). It's more like maintaining it on life support :D ;).

I'm with you on that :)

spherical
02-26-2015, 06:41 AM
Disagree 100%. This is not a confluence of subtle, unexpected situations where this problem shows up. Every code entity has init- and re-init-phase concerns, just as they have normal- and faulted-termination-phase concerns. They are focus areas for diligent coders because they are historically where the overwhelming majority of structural coding errors occur.

Coders who don't test their own code against such scenarios are being "sloppy" because any dev with more than rudimentary experience/exposure knows and has experienced that those areas are high-risk areas for pathology. During code review, close checking of init / reinit / termination / fault exit scenarios is a basic "SW Dev 101"-level review expectation. ... <snippage>

A breath of fresh air... Thank you, John, for elucidating. I can't count how many times basic principles like this have had to be brought into focus.

jeric_synergy
02-26-2015, 09:11 AM
At one point I fantasized that there was a notional whiteboard on an easel in the middle of the devs group that had a list of things that HAD to be considered for any given feature.

I've sorta abandoned that fantasy.

Oedo 808
02-26-2015, 09:33 AM
At one point I fantasized that there was a notional whiteboard on an easel in the middle of the devs group that had a list of things that HAD to be considered for any given feature.

I've sorta abandoned that fantasy.

I fantasize that Modeler service is just crumbs from the rich man's table where the banquet of Modeler MkII is being prepared with more care and attention.

HarverdGrad
02-26-2015, 09:39 AM
A breath of fresh air... Thank you, John, for elucidating. I can't count how many times basic principles like this have had to be brought into focus.

I've been coding for 25+ years, & in my experience it gets down to $$$ + resources (and lack of). So it's not necessarily a developer with sloppy coding habits, as much as it's a Project Owner who oversold an idea without a realistic understanding of costs. The old "how bad you want it, is how bad you're gonna get it" goes thru my head most of the time these days.
Regards~

Mr_Q
02-26-2015, 10:02 AM

Blah...blah...blah...blah.

Are you one of those high-functioning Autistic dudes? Asperger's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome) or whatever? I mean that's fine and all. Sure would explain a lot.

Greenlaw
02-26-2015, 11:26 AM
Think I found a bug. Can someone verify. Cannot animate envelope on orthographic camera's Vertical Size. I am wanting to animate a zoom on the orthographic camera. Thanks.

It's working here with either vertical or horizontal mode. Which platform?

G.

Greenlaw
02-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Just a thought but could it be that the Graph Editor is showing a different item selection other than Camera?

For some reason Track Item Selections is disabled for GE by default, and this trips me up every time I update LW.

G.

dblincoe
02-26-2015, 05:01 PM
Mac 64. I am using 2015.1 though.

It's working here with either vertical or horizontal mode. Which platform?

G.

Greenlaw
02-26-2015, 05:31 PM
Okay, that sounds like a bug then. (Using Win here.) I would report that immediately.

G.

Greenlaw
02-26-2015, 05:37 PM
Here's a possible workaround: parent everything in the scene (except the camera) to a null and scale the null up or down to the desired 'zoom' level. Since it's an orthographic render, the result should effectively be the same (well, similar anyway.) I know that's not a real fix but in the meantime, it might help with the task.

G.

adhesiveX
02-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Here's a possible workaround: parent everything in the scene (except the camera) to a null and scale the null up or down to the desired 'zoom' level. Since it's an orthographic render, the result should effectively be the same (well, similar anyway.) I know that's not a real fix but in the meantime, it might help with the task.

G.

nice...

jwiede
02-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Here's a possible workaround: parent everything in the scene (except the camera) to a null and scale the null up or down to the desired 'zoom' level.

If there are any Bullet dynamics in the scene, they should sim and bake them before the scaling operation (because of Bullet's size-sensitivity).

Vong
02-26-2015, 07:31 PM

Just tested it here and it seems to be working fine. iMac (Late 2013) i7 3.5GHz, 8GB RAM running LW 2015.1.

lino.grandi
02-27-2015, 02:00 AM
Bugs are part of the game.
I know no software with no bugs.
I have to say I'm really happy about LightWave2015.2 general stability. It's really a very productive tool. Our current internal process guarantees all of this.
Is it bug free? Well, no, no software is. But there's a constant evolution, and LightWave coders just show themselves to be just awesome. Anyone of them.
Any bug user may find will be fixed in the next point release, as it happened for 2015.1 and .2 .

lightscape
02-27-2015, 03:13 AM
Sure, LW3DG probably should have caught this, but even major companies with seemingly limitless resources (internal and large groups of beta testers) still have major problems. For example, there were significant issues with the last two major releases of Apple iOS. Another example was few Mac OS X versions ago, I was amongst the hundreds (probably thousands) that were "hosed" because the install process deleted the main user account.

Apple has less issues than Microsoft. Microsoft = junk. A few years ago I kept having my hdd filled with junk by system restore without my knowledge even if it was off. Deleting system restore points got my 20 gig back on C:. Even if its off when you install something it creates a restore point that doesn't work anyway. Deleting hiberfil.sys got back almost 10 gigs on C: , too. Massive junk that was.
Up to now Microsoft still produces the most bloated os out there.

creacon
02-27-2015, 03:43 AM
It's bloated allright, but I wouldn't call it junk.
Windows 7 over the last 2 years didn't crash a single time on my machine.
Quicktime crashed over a 100 hundred times over the same period, Bonjour (also Apple tech), crashed at least 10 times.

But let's not turn this thread into an OS discussion and get back on topic.
I can confirm that stability in LW has come a long way, and I am developing plugins that stretch the system to the limit. If I get LW to crash it's my fault now, while in the past it were LW bugs that kept me from continuing.

creacon

Apple has less issues than Microsoft. Microsoft = junk. A few years ago I kept having my hdd filled with junk by system restore without my knowledge even if it was off. Deleting system restore points got my 20 gig back on C:. Even if its off when you install something it creates a restore point that doesn't work anyway. Deleting hiberfil.sys got back almost 10 gigs on C: , too. Massive junk that was.
Up to now Microsoft still produces the most bloated os out there.

02-27-2015, 04:15 AM
As of late, I've had to quit modeler to move on into my day. Opposed to say, it having had a habit of crashing and me being disgruntled and moving on into the day.

The only non-bloated OSes are Linux/unix boxes. The other two have to be as it's about their economics.

Looking forward to .3 or a new build of Octane as it seems I have an issue. Anyone seen an ignorance of an object's transformation as a ghost object in your renders?

wesleycorgi
02-27-2015, 06:41 AM
Apple has less issues than Microsoft. Microsoft = junk.

It's bloated allright, but I wouldn't call it junk.
Windows 7 over the last 2 years didn't crash a single time on my machine.

Not to derail this thread... in my original comment, I chose Apple as an example (instead of Microsoft) as not to offend jwiede (I believe he mentioned on the forum that he is a Microsoft employee before). But because jwiede is an Apple user, he could also relate to the numerous mis-steps Apple has had. To creacon's point, I almost switched over to Windows because Windows 7 is rock solid and I like its interface (Windows 8 cured me of that desire). In fact, we have dozens of Mac minis that we use for events — all bootcamp'ed as Windows 7 machines.

I've worked at several software/tech companies and see that even the best coders and practices succumb to those software gremlins.

[Now back to our regularly scheduled thread]

I will be updating to 2015 at some point because there is a lot of good stuff that I miss since my demo ran out. I'm hoping at that time, LW3DG will offer another killer bundle. I bought my personal copy of LW when they offered it with LWCad and Vue. If they ran a bundle with Octane again, I think that I would have to "bite." Or even a 3rd Powers deal.

The one thing in the 2015.2 notes that I thought was a good nod to Mac users is that LW now works in full screen mode. I tend not to use apps that way, but every pixel of "real estate" is important with LW.

Greenlaw
02-27-2015, 06:59 AM
If I'm not mistaken, this thread is about the new Lightwave 2015.2 release right? Altogether now: "Stay on target." :)

Greenlaw
02-27-2015, 07:28 AM
If there are any Bullet dynamics in the scene, they should sim and bake them before the scaling operation (because of Bullet's size-sensitivity).

Excellent point!

In fact, I use this technique for the normal Perspective camera for scenes that ultimately need to be extraordinarily large or small. I find Bullet is more predictable and easier to use when you let it work at a scale it's comfortable with. Once baked, you can make the any size you want. But I digress...

To keep this thread on topic, anybody try Bullet in 2015.2 with chain of bones animated with the new constraints and/or deformable 'cloth' item parented to an object moving by Spline Control? A while back, I got some wacky results with this setup and wound up baking the Spline Control path animation to get bone chain to behave, and then I had to bake a null from a vertex in the mesh of the bone chain so I could parent my cloth object to it and make Deformable behave properly. I meant to report that but I got distracted by other work after I came up with the workaround. Haven't had a chance to test this in 2015.2 yet.

I think I need to take a few hours this weekend to go through my production notes and report the few issues I've run into since 2015 came out. It's a poor habit but it's so easy to forget to report a bug once I figure out how to sneak past it. Bad user! :)

Oh, and while we're on the subject, any registered user can report Lightwave bugs by going to their account page and clicking on Submit A Report over in the right hand column. In other words, you don't have to rely on internal beta testers to catch and report bugs. Happy hunting! :)

G.

Every4thPixel
02-27-2015, 07:40 AM
I ran in to a really nasty bug. I'm getting random lines or bars in my render. Every time I render the same image they are different. Does any one recognize this? Check the image. I overexposed it a bit so you can see it better.
Man! I've a deadline to make and now I get this crap! Any one a solution?

wesleycorgi
02-27-2015, 08:13 AM
I ran in to a really nasty bug. I'm getting random lines or bars in my render. Every time I render the same image they are different. Does any one recognize this? Check the image. I overexposed it a bit so you can see it better.

Are you using an HDR image in the background?

Every4thPixel
02-27-2015, 08:33 AM
Yes I do but it is not an intense one and it is really small and blurry. It looks like everything is fine when I render a region of the image.

dblincoe
02-27-2015, 01:38 PM

G.

Thanks Greenlaw. I figured it out. I should work for NASA. Not because I'm brilliant, but because I was working in meters and not in feet as I assumed. I don't know why I did that. Anyway it was working...just very slightly...that coupled with the fact I had VPR on as well...doesn't update unless you advance the frame and when it did VPR hid the minute change due to the way it renders. Sorry I didn't post when I figured it out...it was late and I was behind.

jeric_synergy
02-27-2015, 02:31 PM
OK fellas: now that TWO revisions are available, is it time to jump on 2015?

I was holding off because A) at this time I'm not getting any income from LW, and B) the first 2015 release seemed relatively buggy. It appears many LHF bugs have been quashed, and I wonder how the hivemind was feeling.

(As ever, I urge everybody to submit solid bug reports with supporting materials to replicate as they are encountered: bug fixing starts with the users.)

Greenlaw
02-27-2015, 02:58 PM

I was holding off because A) at this time I'm not getting any income from LW, and B) the first 2015 release seemed relatively buggy. It appears many LHF bugs have been quashed, and I wonder how the hivemind was feeling...

I guess is depends on how much you need/want the new features and workflow improvements, and how much faith you have that 2015 will continue to grow before the next 'full' release of Lightwave.

Some users in the forums have stated that they will not upgrade to 2015 because they feel the feature list is slim and they don't believe there will be more new features added throughout the 2015 cycle like we got during the 11 cycle.

FWIW, I'm finding that the new features in 2015 have improved my productivity, and I'm in the camp that believes new features will continue to be added before the next 'full' version. This is just my personal opinion though. I make my living from using Lightwave nearly everyday so my view may be different from yours. Also, I really don't know what LW3DG's 'master plan' is, and I'm just guessing like everybody else.

G.

djwaterman
02-27-2015, 05:13 PM
I should work for NASA. Not because I'm brilliant, but because I was working in meters and not in feet as I assumed. .

That's funny.

3dworks
02-28-2015, 02:19 AM

i'm never using post effects in LW - but those look like lens flares? hard to say more just by seeing this overexposed image and not knowing anything about the scene you are rendering.

Every4thPixel
02-28-2015, 04:19 AM
i'm never using post effects in LW - but those look like lens flares? hard to say more just by seeing this overexposed image and not knowing anything about the scene you are rendering.

What do you want to know? It's not a post effect. I use Fusion to post and composit. The lighting looks really nice and smooth except from the render errors. It's probably not my GI settings. The last time I got a splotchy render was 10 years ago so I know fairly good how GI works. ;) I rendering with one segment and the problem occurs on my local machine and on the render farm as well.
Apparently I'm the only one who gets this effect? It shows up in the shadow areas of geometry. I haven't had the time to bug track what the problem could be due to the deadline but if I find it I'll post the solution here.

wibly wobly
02-28-2015, 09:53 AM
Is anyone else getting this error when they relaunch 2015.2? After a reboot, layout and modeler load just fine but, if I quit either of them and try relaunching I get this message from layout right as the window tried to load and closes immediately. Modeler just has a quick window flash and then closes without a message. I've tried a couple of different drivers and it doesn't seem to make a different. 2015.1 runs just fine. Hardware in the sig.

https://i.imgur.com/KLn6Uiz.jpg

meatycheesyboy
02-28-2015, 10:47 AM
I just noticed something when downloading 2015.2.

2015 - Released on the 4th Monday of November 2014 (the 24th)
2015.1 - Release on the 4th Monday of December 2014 (the 22nd)
2015.2 - Released on the 4th Monday of February 2015 (the 23rd)

Is this a glimpse into the release schedule of LW or just a funny coincidence? Can we start bets on whether 2015.3 will come out on Monday March 23rd or Monday April 27th? ;)

Wade
02-28-2015, 11:08 AM

I was holding off because A) at this time I'm not getting any income from LW, and B) the first 2015 release seemed relatively buggy. It appears many LHF bugs have been quashed, and I wonder how the hivemind was feeling.

(As ever, I urge everybody to submit solid bug reports with supporting materials to replicate as they are encountered: bug fixing starts with the users.)

Yes Yes it is. I tend to upgrade day one as you always have the old release there to use so if the new is buggy well no big deal just use the last one that was not. What I get from this is the new tools that do work as most do right away. I have done this since 6.1 and it seems to work out well. I know I will upgrade each release so I just do so when released then I don't have to think about it any longer. NOW waiting on LWCAD 5 to release as I have already upgraded 4.51 and will get 5 when its done.

madno
02-28-2015, 11:23 PM
Is anyone else getting this error when they relaunch 2015.2? After a reboot, layout and modeler load just fine but, if I quit either of them and try relaunching I get this message from layout right as the window tried to load and closes immediately. Modeler just has a quick window flash and then closes without a message. I've tried a couple of different drivers and it doesn't seem to make a different. 2015.1 runs just fine. Hardware in the sig.

https://i.imgur.com/KLn6Uiz.jpg

Sorry not a serious answer:

k: "$100" ccommsg

Maybe it means

You have to pay $100 K extra to get the layout window

c com msg = creative commercial message

magiclight
03-01-2015, 05:36 AM
I would guess "com" is in the context of communication between hub and modeler/layout, but just guessing now, I have no idea why you get that error.

wibly wobly
03-01-2015, 06:58 AM
@madno haha. It seems to be shortcut related. Both programs load fine from the bin dir or if I pin them to my taskbar or from the desktop. I normally have my shortcuts in toolbar folders on my taskbar, so it's not so cluttered. It crashes and gives me that strange error "k: "$100" ccommsg" when using my preferred shortcut method. No idea why this makes a difference. At least I know of a simple workaround now.

jeric_synergy
03-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Huh, I've long suspected that programs follow a different path when they are launched from the taskbar.

spherical
03-01-2015, 03:47 PM
??? It's a Shortcut, like any other Shortcut.

wibly wobly
03-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Beats me why it's not running for me. I have no idea why it would be any different but, maybe the hooks that are involved in running shortcuts via a folder does something strange.

In case I'm failing to explain myself, this is how I run most things off my taskbar.

Sorry for the hijacking, this might be better places in general support.

https://i.imgur.com/rYHNr0Y.jpg

spherical
03-02-2015, 03:49 AM
Ok, what taskbar is that? Are you running a theme or plugin that is non-stock?

Lito
03-02-2015, 09:07 AM
I think it's the same one that I run: True Launch Bar (http://www.truelaunchbar.com/)

Every4thPixel
03-02-2015, 09:14 AM
You can create custom toolbars in windows by pressing right mouse button on the taskbar and click -> toolbars -> New toolbar.

spherical
03-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Ah. Never mess with that and organize my Start Menu instead. However, just tried one and Layout 2015 relaunches perfectly from it every time.

jwiede
03-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Kind of need to know whether wibly wobly is using a third-party launchbar/toolbar to launch the apps, in order to usefully debug.

Marcia
03-02-2015, 08:06 PM
[Edit] Nvm... I see another thread addressing this.

spherical
03-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Kind of need to know whether wibly wobly is using a third-party launchbar/toolbar to launch the apps, in order to usefully debug.

No, it appears to be that which is generated when creating an additional toolbar in Win8 using its native code. I tried it, above, and it looks the same as the example shown. Mine works as expected, however, so it's something else.

Every4thPixel
03-03-2015, 05:25 AM
Has anyone tried DPinstance in 2015.2? It doesn't seem to work. It's very crashy.

spherical
03-03-2015, 02:51 PM
For 11.x+, it's DP Instancer, not DP Instance. I think Denis really should rename these.