PDA

View Full Version : Custumized Instance ID

caustics
02-22-2015, 07:12 AM
Hi, I wonder if anyone has a clue how to do this ...

I'am working on a scene where I have a couple (17 to be specific) of items cloned from the same object. The surface of the object has a node system where the object color is driven by a gradient and the item ID. So far this works in the way that each instance get's its color from the gradient.

Now I want to manually assign the colors to each of the instances to be able to reproduce a given color arrangement.

From the knowledge I have concerning LW I can think of:

1) Save the objects out as individual objects and then change the surface on them.
2) Use a position map with color sections and drive this color into the instance

Does anybody know a simpler way to achieve this?

Regards.

RebelHill
02-22-2015, 07:43 AM
Are they instances or clones? Theres a difference.

If instances, you can just use the instance ID, if clones, get the trueart node pack, where you can get clone ID data member. Either returns an easier number to work with (as in 1,2,3,4,etc) than the actual item ID.

Otherwise, using a position map is probs the most controlable method, as it lets you treat each item as if it were a pixel on a bitmap.

caustics
02-22-2015, 07:51 AM
Hi RebelHill,

I had first an arrangement of instances ... then converted it to clones since with the instances I didn't find an easy way to arrange them accordingly to a reference image I have to follow.

Ok, I have a deeper look at the position map method.

Thanks for helping out.

Regards.

caustics
02-22-2015, 09:56 AM
I found an even more direct way in creating additional color slots in the gradient -- one for each item. That worked but I had to do some trial and error color assignments to figure out which slot belonged to which item in the scene.

Certainly this is not the most elegant way to do this ... and it serves for a small number of items like I had in this case.

I think I will do some more investigation in order to find a better way. But I am safe for now ;-)

Regards.