PDA

View Full Version : Dan Ablan lightwave Medical Courseware

moon1
02-19-2015, 06:04 AM
I purchased it last year and it has been delayed for sometime. Does anybody have any info when this will be released?

Markc
02-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Last email I got from 3D Garage indicated, it had been delayed to be rewritten for LW2015, and should be out January 2015!

gjjackson
02-19-2015, 12:45 PM
I have also been waiting for it for a long time. I'll be suspicious of any More "pre-orders" since I ran into the same thing with Lee Stranahan and STILL haven't been fully reimbursed.

motivalex
02-19-2015, 03:59 PM
To be fair, he's always delivered on his courses even if one or two have been delayed for whatever reason. Sometimes other work projects last longer than expected and can impact on other projects. I'm sure it will be released soon. Just email him if you are worried as I'm sure he will reply. Just hope that LW 2016 doesn't come out now and delay the training further :)

Davewriter
02-19-2015, 08:34 PM
The last note Dan sent out was that it was being retooled to take advantage of the new items in LW 2015.
Which I understand.
Too bad I bought it before LW 2015... which I still don't own.
On the other hand... is that 3 now? Dan's work is always top shelf.

3D Kiwi
02-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Would it not be smarter to release it and just provide a free update showing the 2015 features and how they could be used?

shrox
02-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Would it not be smarter to release it and just provide a free update showing the 2015 features and how they could be used?

Brilliant people aren't always smart.

dablan
02-19-2015, 11:23 PM
Hi guys -
so very sorry for the delay -
Still adding more to it.
It's a cool course.
Will be adding more this weekend -
Here are a few screen shots

shrox
02-19-2015, 11:39 PM
Hi guys -
so very sorry for the delay -
Still adding more to it.
It's a cool course.
Will be adding more this weekend -
Here are a few screen shots

I don't think anyone is truly worried about it not materializing, you have a 100% track record.

50one
02-20-2015, 01:23 AM
I don't think anyone is truly worried about it not materializing, you have a 100% track record.

Have to agree, Dan is a great guy, but he has been struggling with delivering on time.

SPICE
02-20-2015, 10:15 AM
I dont agree !

I have bougth over the years all from Dan.. and I agree his tutorials are good!
He has made a realy good job over the years..
but annoucing that MEDICAL COURSE in JUNE last year .. .to be finisehed in AUG 2014

I sent him so much emails ...
only return... next weekend...next week.. next mounth

NO! DAN!.. that is not a way!

I spend my money last year in June
now it is 2015... and nothng more than a few screenshots?

from mounth to mounth.. from week to week ...
plz be patient .. .I am working...this weekend.

Dan...
u was one of my heores in the past..

no more to say :(

SPICE
03-26-2015, 12:23 PM
Dan!
are u serious?
I recieved a email... from 3DGarage ... Medical Course will be finished next week!

plz DAN!
tell me ... next week ?, in this mounth, in this year... next decade...next 3K?

As I say before..
U have made so many good thing... and we all have learned so much from your tuts
What happens to u?
WHY .. .cant u say..... I am at this time not able to finished that course!

But your way.... next day...next week... next

I NEVER SPEND ONE CENT #
FU!

shrox
03-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Dan!
are u serious?
I recieved a email... from 3DGarage ... Medical Course will be finished next week!

plz DAN!
tell me ... next week ?, in this mounth, in this year... next decade...next 3K?

As I say before..
U have made so many good thing... and we all have learned so much from your tuts
What happens to u?
WHY .. .cant u say..... I am at this time not able to finished that course!

But your way.... next day...next week... next

I NEVER SPEND ONE CENT #
FU!

Hey kids, have you ever wondered how to get banned? Spice has a tutorial on this you'll want to check out! Best of all it's free! Here is the link!

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145712-Dan-Ablan-lightwave-Medical-Courseware

MonroePoteet
03-26-2015, 05:46 PM
Hey kids, have you ever wondered how to get banned? Spice has a tutorial on this you'll want to check out! Best of all it's free! Here is the link!

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145712-Dan-Ablan-lightwave-Medical-Courseware

+1 :D

mTp

SPICE
03-27-2015, 12:12 PM
@shrox
merkst Du noch etwas?

*smile*

shrox
03-27-2015, 12:59 PM
@shrox
merkst Du noch etwas?

*smile*

Ja ist getan, Fluchen auf dem Forum ist einfach nicht gut.

Bill K
06-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Dan has ALWAYS delivered his courseware projects with a 100% track record - not exactly on time, and for the Lightwave 2015 courseware, this is the longest wait time yet. I would think having everything done and then revising the course for Lightwave 2015 to be pretty tedious (understatement).

gjjackson
06-15-2015, 05:49 AM
The problem IS he has stipulated it would be ready in a couple of weeks a Number of times in the past. When a person says "next week" I take that as the following week. Unfortunately he has been a severe disappointment.

3D Kiwi
06-15-2015, 06:12 AM
Cant believe people are still waiting for this. if anyone prepaid I hope they can get their money back.

50one
06-15-2015, 07:25 AM
Cant believe people are still waiting for this. if anyone prepaid I hope they can get their money back.

^This.

saranine
06-21-2015, 08:27 PM
It's been over a year now since I bought this. I was prepared to wait. I was also prepared to allow Dan time to adjust to Lightwave 2015. I have sent him a tweet asking him to say in this thread what is going on. But it has got a bit silly. I mean at this rate he will have to adjust the product again to adjust it for LW 2016.

I will probably ask for my money back. And I cannot see how they can deny me that. By any measure the product has not occurred.

SPICE
07-08-2015, 11:19 AM
BUMB !
any news about this (::::) ?
maybe next week ?

Sekhar
07-08-2015, 12:12 PM
I guess this is a good learning experience to never pre-order anything again. I've bitten twice now: this Dan course and the LWCAD upgrade (bought back in Nov last year when LWCAD 5 was promised as free update). And both from people I was sure would deliver.

Chris S. (Fez)
07-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Lwcad 5 is in Beta and is being actively, I'd say even exhaustively developed. If you send the developer an email you can probably download the Beta today. But there is no question about it being released.

MarcusM
07-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Lwcad 5 is in Beta and is being actively, I'd say even exhaustively developed. If you send the developer an email you can probably download the Beta today. But there is no question about it being released.

There is to download open beta: http://www.wtools3d.com/product-activation.php

jwiede
07-09-2015, 01:06 PM
I guess this is a good learning experience to never pre-order anything again. I've bitten twice now: this Dan course and the LWCAD upgrade (bought back in Nov last year when LWCAD 5 was promised as free update). And both from people I was sure would deliver.

How, precisely, were you "bitten" by your LWCAD purchase? You received LWCAD4, and now, LWCAD5 is in public beta release, and when it goes final you'll receive that as well. What do you feel Wtools has failed to deliver?

motivalex
07-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Maybe Dan should release the chapters that he has completed and release the other chapters when ready. Throw your customers a bone Dan.

shrox
07-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Is Dan OK? Too many of get struck by bad health it seems. I am doing better though, and I hope it's not that reason for him.

Sekhar
07-10-2015, 09:14 AM
How, precisely, were you "bitten" by your LWCAD purchase? You received LWCAD4, and now, LWCAD5 is in public beta release, and when it goes final you'll receive that as well. What do you feel Wtools has failed to deliver?

Bitten = misled. In both cases, I was misled about the timeline. The only reason I bought the LWCAD upgrade was to take advantage of the price promo for the LWCAD 5 which was made out to be imminent, I had no interest otherwise and would not have bought it. I know we have a lot of Viktor supporters here, but please consider this objectively rather than jump on me.

In any case, both purchases were small amounts, so I don't care, and I am getting a discount in both, so it's not all loss. But I think misleading customers is always wrong. May be neither Dan nor Viktor anticipated a delay, so it wasn't misleading per se. But if there is an ongoing delay, buyers MUST be informed and kept updated. To date, I haven't received a single pro-active update from either Dan or Viktor apologizing for the delay.

saranine
07-10-2015, 09:08 PM
I asked for a refund. Dan Ablan and 3D Garage emailed me and gave me a refund. So in fairness to them I did get my money back. Still not good though.

I still have faith in Dan. Maybe LW 2015 created some difficulties in getting it done. I still think that he should post here. Even a brief explanation would be appreciated. I had never pre ordered anything before. Will I ever do it again? Probably not. I do accept that it is a bit like "buying off the plan". It shows that even for someone as experienced as Dan Ablan problems can still arise.

Davewriter
07-11-2015, 10:30 PM
I wrote Dan a short, polite note asking the status.
He answer quickly and was most apologetic about the delays and said he hopes to have it finished in "the next couple of weeks."
Yes, I agree that it's been long delayed and an update here or there might have helped on the PR side.
But it is Dan and I have faith in him.
Just me though...

Signal to Noise
07-13-2015, 12:28 PM
I had pre-ordered long ago. Not too worried about it. Maybe by the time the courseware is released I'll be able to afford the LW2015 upgrade...the CDN/US exchange rate is killer right now!

chikega
07-13-2015, 04:37 PM
I had pre-ordered long ago as well. Almost forgot all about it ... thanks for the remainder.

50one
07-14-2015, 01:58 AM
Most of the companies can only dream about customers like you guys;)

Davewriter
07-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Faith we have. The Force is strong with this one.

Markc
07-31-2015, 02:38 PM
I got an email a couple of days ago, should be released in August......

medicalart
09-14-2015, 07:55 AM
I agree with some of the other comments that the empty promises for arrival have been frustrating. It would have been nice if realistic deadlines were in place and that periodic emails with a completed chapter or two were available. Why not feed us a chapter or two while we wait? I ordered the program over a year ago. I look forward to receiving the courseware whenever it arrives.

chikega
09-14-2015, 01:00 PM
Latest news on Dan's site says it's slated to be released in September :p

Sekhar
09-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Latest news on Dan's site says it's slated to be released in September :p

Sure. :)

Signal to Noise
09-20-2015, 03:35 PM
According to Dan's latest email update: October 4 release for the Medical Courseware. Still unclear whether it's Oct 4 2015 or 2016. ;)

bbuxton
10-05-2015, 06:21 AM
It does not seem to be October 4th 2015 :(
When I purchased the material in May the sight stated that the release was just a few days away. I purchased the material for my daughter studying at school, that academic year has finished and this her final year has only a few months left.
Interviews for colleges and further education have already started. Dan's training might have been a great help to her but really it is a little late now.

pinkmouse
10-05-2015, 06:25 AM
Looking at the new volumetric rendering in 2016, I wonder if this was the cause of the delay. It's the kind of thing that would be really useful for medical animations, and perhaps the "all new" 2016 was actually supposed to be released last year instead of the "update" that was 2015...

/Idle speculation mode off.

:D

50one
10-05-2015, 07:06 AM
Looking at the new volumetric rendering in 2016, I wonder if this was the cause of the delay. It's the kind of thing that would be really useful for medical animations, and perhaps the "all new" 2016 was actually supposed to be released last year instead of the "update" that was 2015...

Nah, I think Dan is just waiting for the KRay 3.0 :P

johnliebler
10-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Hey guys,
I keep seeing this thread pop up, and I haven't wanted to hijack it, but while you wait, I have a simple molecular tutorial on my blog, here:

http://www.artofthecell.com/animation/tutorial-make-molecules-in-pymol-for-lightwave3d

If there are other techniques you want to know about, let me know. If there is interest, I'll make more tuts. :)

Sekhar
10-05-2015, 09:23 AM
It does not seem to be October 4th 2015 :(
When I purchased the material in May the sight stated that the release was just a few days away. I purchased the material for my daughter studying at school, that academic year has finished and this her final year has only a few months left.
Interviews for colleges and further education have already started. Dan's training might have been a great help to her but really it is a little late now.

May this year? You're a lightweight! I bought it December of last year! :) I'm now resigned to the possibility that this will never be released.

Signal to Noise
10-05-2015, 09:23 AM
^^^
Pretty nice stuff you've got there, John. I find your avatar gif rather mesmerizing!:hey:

joseba
10-05-2015, 09:46 AM
... perhaps the "all new" 2016 was actually supposed to be released last year instead of the "update" that was 2015...

I think you are right. There was a 2011 3 year coursemap by Rob Powers.

johnliebler
10-05-2015, 10:51 AM
^^^
Pretty nice stuff you've got there, John. I find your avatar gif rather mesmerizing!:hey:

Thanks! :)

chikega
10-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Good stuff John! Yes, I'd be interested in learning more about your workflow using Lightwave. :)

shrox
10-05-2015, 11:57 AM
I used free RASMOL for stuff like that years ago, is PyMOL free?

johnliebler
10-05-2015, 12:54 PM
I used free RASMOL for stuff like that years ago, is PyMOL free?

There is a paid subscription version, but, because it is built on open-source software, anyone can make a compile for free, and there is a link to a free compile here: http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Windows_Install
along with information about installation and such. This version has always been enough for my needs. :)

johnliebler
10-05-2015, 12:59 PM
Good stuff John! Yes, I'd be interested in learning more about your workflow using Lightwave. :)

Anything specific you want to know about? It's easier to discuss how I did a specific shot, or image. If not, I'll come up with something... :)

chikega
10-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Do you guys still use Softimage (XSI) along with LW?

johnliebler
10-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Although there was a brief time when I did, I don't use Softimage anymore. When I did I was using it together with Lightwave. I know that some of the guys at XVIVO are still using XSI, but I don't think that they also use Lightwave. And I think the Lightwave guys there only use Lightwave.

Farhad_azer
10-08-2015, 06:38 AM
May I ask what does it mean using Lightwave with XSI (or other packages)? could software exchange information that easily so that we can get sth flawless out of it? To me it seems very strange how another package is going to handle for example procedural texturing done in another soft.

btw I just saw your demoreel, it is gorgeous.

johnliebler
10-08-2015, 07:00 AM
May I ask what does it mean using Lightwave with XSI (or other packages)? could software exchange information that easily so that we can get sth flawless out of it? To me it seems very strange how another package is going to handle for example procedural texturing done in another soft.

btw I just saw your demoreel, it is gorgeous.

Thanks Farhad!

It's been a while, but at the time, I recall we were modeling in Lightwave, then animating in xsi, then rendering in Lightwave, unless there was a specific effects element that could only render in xsi. It's a "pipeline" approach where you try to leverage the strengths of different package as you work. I don't think you would have much luck b tring to bring a procedural texture across, but if you needed to do that, you could bake it to uvs before you exported it. Typically you would not finalize your texture until you were in the program that would be doing the rendering. Working out pipelines can be a complex subject. :)

As I said, I primarily just use Lightwave these days, but I do use other programs for modeling when I need to (Pymol, 3D Coat, Zbrush, Meshlab...) but it all ends up in Lightwave eventually.

Daphne
10-08-2015, 08:00 AM
Not to hijack the thread but if you haven't seen the animation John's avatar came from, you should. It's from the Inner Life of the Cell. I saw it years ago and recognized his avatar the second I saw it. It is a fantastic animation and the music will keep playing in your head afterwards ha ha.

johnliebler
10-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Thanks Daphne! The one in my avatar is actually an updated and revised version of my "Inner Life" kinesin that I made last year. I built new higher resolution models with the intent of updating a lot of the content covered in "Inner Life" for high definition. He still has that "haters gonna hate" strut though. :)

Daphne
10-08-2015, 08:43 AM
He definitely has the attitude going on ha ha!

Farhad_azer
10-10-2015, 11:04 AM
No Daphne, I had not seen it. it was absolutely amazing, I can not describe my feeling by words,

I saw a version with narration also and I did not understand too much of it due to my poor background in Biology but I am going to watch it again and again.

Thanks for mentioning it.

10 out of 10 John.

Signal to Noise
10-26-2015, 10:48 AM
FYI...new email update from Dan today. Still working on the video chapters and no adjusted release date provided this time. So don't hold your breath in anticipation yet.

SPICE
10-26-2015, 11:10 AM
lol
no more to say
;)

Markc
10-26-2015, 01:05 PM
I am really surprised how long this has gone on for now.
I have a few books of Dan's and one if his video tuts, which are all very good.

It is really bizarre!

Schwyhart
10-27-2015, 08:46 AM
I refuse to buy training from Dan anymore. I did this pre-order thing with MODO 701 courseware. It arrived like a month before 801 was released and to be honest the tutorials weren't that great. Maybe it's different for LW since that's where he started.
In any case, I've been burned too many times by pre-orders from various companies, that I seldom do that anymore.

50one
10-27-2015, 08:50 AM
Dan is quite proactive on Linkedin, you guys might want to contact him through Linkedin and see what he's up to..

Signal to Noise
12-15-2015, 08:22 AM
The latest from Dan's site:
"DOWNLOAD LINKS COMING SOON FOR PRE-ORDERS!

December 2015 release"

Woohoo! /s

Still not holding my breath just yet.

50one
12-15-2015, 09:05 AM
I used to work with a cool dude who taught me that "Hope is a mother of all fools" lol

Fool me once, shame on you.
fool me twice...and again....and again...and then some more, shame on me hehe.

Dan's great guy, no doubt about it but he's really struggling' to find balance between his daily job / personal life and side job(3D Garage) that's what I'm seeing.

3D Kiwi
12-17-2015, 04:18 AM
Funny thing is with the new render engine in the next version of Lightwave this course is going to get outdated pretty quick.

50one
12-17-2015, 04:37 AM
Funny thing is with the new render engine in the next version of Lightwave this course is going to get outdated pretty quick.

Nah, still should be applicable - besides not everyone is going to jump quickly into 2016, but yeah the new volumetric stuff would be super useful for medical stuff just now and would be great if you could turn those volumetrics into procedural meshes - that would be amazing.

Signal to Noise
12-17-2015, 08:18 AM
Dan will simply add a "bonus" chapter for the new LW2016 content. He'll have it ready by 2019 :p

Schwyhart
12-17-2015, 09:02 AM
I'm sure it's been mentioned...but Dan isn't doing the great tutorials like he used to do. If I were you, I'd look elsewhere for tutorials.
He's ALWAYS late on releases. Basically, release just a couple of months before the next release. He rarely sticks to his word on delivery.
And on top of this, the tutorials aren't great. I mean, they might be good if you're new to 3D and don't know anything. It's very surface and does not dig deep into the subject. The things he teaches can easily be found on YouTube for free.

Unless he changes how he does things, don't buy his tutorials. I'm sad to say this, but it's true.

Farhad_azer
12-19-2015, 03:49 AM
I disagree entirely dear Schwyhart,

Dan, besides being a great guy and pure gentleman, has lots of wonderful tutorials which are THE MUST for beginners and even professionals. More importantly he always covers artistic aspect of 3d. I personally will purchase his tutorials even if it is about lightwave 3 or 4 because I am sure I will find his notes on why we should not put camera here or why we should choose this color and alike. as a graduated of technical science I don't have artistic sense and I easily make mistakes on non-technical levels.

His Lightwave 9 courseware is definitely the most informative and valuable resource for me.

No offence but what you said is not fair.

tommyc
12-19-2015, 10:10 AM
I like Dan's training as well. What's really sad to me is that he has put finishing his Modo 901 course ahead of delivering this Medical course. I get that Modo is probably a bigger market for him but I paid for this training long before Modo 901 was even available. As much as I'm looking forward to phase 2 of his Modo 901 training, I really wish he would just bite the bullet and finish this one first.

I bought some ZBrush training from another person on a pre-order sale. It was supposed to be a 12 volume training course. So far, he has gotten up to Volume 8. I bought it the same year I bought this training. At least I do have some of it. He also has made several other training videos while I patiently wait for him to finish the one I bought over a year ago.

I've definitely learned my lesson. I think it is a really poor way to treat your customers.

Markc
03-07-2016, 03:14 AM
New email today from Dan.
Released 31st March (although it doesn't specify a year) :D

50one
03-07-2016, 04:55 AM
Not sure about market, he had the same issues with Modo's training in the past, I can see he changed his daily job recently therefore I'm not surprised that he struggles as finding time for a side project of this size is quite tricky...

willin
03-09-2016, 12:37 AM
I like Dan's training as well. What's really sad to me is that he has put finishing his Modo 901 course ahead of delivering this Medical course. I get that Modo is probably a bigger market for him but I paid for this training long before Modo 901 was even available. As much as I'm looking forward to phase 2 of his Modo 901 training, I really wish he would just bite the bullet and finish this one first.

I bought some ZBrush training from another person on a pre-order sale. It was supposed to be a 12 volume training course. So far, he has gotten up to Volume 8. I bought it the same year I bought this training. At least I do have some of it. He also has made several other training videos while I patiently wait for him to finish the one I bought over a year ago.

I've definitely learned my lesson. I think it is a really poor way to treat your customers.

That must be Gibson and if Gibson didn't do it to u he has done it to me in other courses. Have no problem dropping names of irresponsible behavior.

SPICE
03-09-2016, 09:09 AM
What I think about Dan and his way to disappoint customers... wrote that multiple .... anyway :)
But Adam Gibson is a special case
After I had bought a tutorial from him I was disappointed.
But I've done it again. Bought another .... UV-MAP-HUMAN.

WOW.... one time more it was not what I aspected... but it is funny to see how a NOOB explores a new software.

btw
Tutorials from Kat or R.R. are real good stuff !

gjjackson
03-10-2016, 12:08 AM
My first disappointment was with a training seminar by Lee Stranahan. He was well known in the LW community until that time. He never Did refund the entire amount. I had given Dan quit a bit of slack but when he has repeatedly stated that he would release the training within a month I've had enough. I've bought every one of his books since LW 6. I won't give him any more of my money no matter what. If someone can't produce he should just refund all the buyers and come back when he has it available. The only reason I even bought into it was curiosity of it being "medical".

mummyman
03-10-2016, 05:52 AM
Being a full-time medical animator, I'm curious to see how this whole thread pans out. Interested to see what type of tips I might be able to pick up. Who knows... not plunking any cash down, but just am feeling for anyone who has. Good luck! I hope the release happens soon for you guys. Hope there's feedback on it when it finally is released. Is there still advertisements to purchase?

Scratch that... found the ad on 3Dgarage.

Spinland
03-10-2016, 06:40 AM
Heh. I'm as impatient as any to get my hands on my pre-order, make no mistake. That being said, I see a parallel between the flak he's getting for over-promising (as in giving finite release dates) he then cannot meet, and the flak NewTek gets for being reluctant to give similar concrete timeframes. There's just no way to win. :D

As for Dan, personally, he has always, 100% of the time, responded to my (courteous but to the point) emailed inquiries in a very timely fashion. I do feel this project has dragged for a very long time but he's only human, has an excellent track record otherwise, and owns when he blows it. I'm still a fan and will continue to be a customer.

Schwyhart
03-10-2016, 02:11 PM
My advice to everyone is don't pre-order anything. Especially training videos.
I know it feel like you're supporting something and giving someone a chance. Most often, they don't come through.
I only pre-order from firmly established companies that have a good track record. And even then, I'm always very cautious. I've been burned too many times in the past.
Dan used to have a good track record, but the past few years he hasn't come through for his customers.

- - - Updated - - -

Or I should say, Dan has come through, just 20 months after the products due date.

Signal to Noise
03-11-2016, 08:47 AM
My advice to everyone is don't pre-order anything. ...
I only pre-order from....

:stop:
You can't even follow you're own advice.

irt
07-21-2016, 11:15 PM
Is this training video now available, and complete

Spinland
07-22-2016, 03:55 AM
No. I emailed Dan just a couple of days ago to ask about it and it's still being worked on but he offered no estimated completion date. Take that however you wish.

gjjackson
07-22-2016, 11:31 PM
I'll never ever again order, OR buy, ANYTHING from Dan Ablan. I ordered the course over TWO years ago and all you get from him is EXCUSES. The same thing happened with Lee Stranahan Years ago. I really don't know WHO a person can trust anymore. These people WERE, USED to be reputable people. They have become nothing but crooks.

jeric_synergy
07-23-2016, 12:06 AM
I'll never ever again order, OR buy, ANYTHING from Dan Ablan. I ordered the course over TWO years ago and all you get from him is EXCUSES. The same thing happened with Lee Stranahan Years ago. I really don't know WHO a person can trust anymore. These people WERE, USED to be reputable people. They have become nothing but crooks.
That's 3, if you count the guy at SpinQuad (is that it?).

Putting the BEST face on it, people foolishly bite off more than they can chew. Don't enable them by pre-purchasing.

That said, the stuff from Liberty3D is highly recommended, and it all exists NOW. IIRC, Kat started it to fight against 'publishers' screwing both their customers and their content providers.

allabulle
07-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Some of the content at Liberty3D, a few 3DCoat training I got for a few bucks, was appalling. Kat's and Ryan's are good, but if they allow this kind of "training" to be sold there...

Markc
07-24-2016, 09:12 AM
Personally I have learnt a lot about 3D Coat from Adam Gibson's training.
You say the training was poor, but you bought several :confused:

allabulle
07-24-2016, 09:20 AM
It was an offer, for a few bucks, so I bought several at once.

I'm glad you liked them. I found them very poor indeed, sadly.

Spinland
07-24-2016, 09:29 AM

The material itself was quite useful to me, especially as there's a decided lack of in-depth 3DC training out there. Still, his delivery leaves much to be desired: he seems not to have rehearsed or scripted any of his commentary or actions, and the videos would benefit from massive editing. Rebel Hill's videos are, IMNSDHO, the gold standard for crisp, well-rehearsed delivery with no irrelevant fluff or hem-hawing around. With a Gibson video I often resort to fast forward until he gets to the actual point. I did an informal survey of several and found that each could stand to be about 60% as long as they currently are and lose no useful content.

allabulle
07-24-2016, 09:50 AM
The actual "content" besides the poor presentation and hesitations was not OK either. But, hey, good for you all if you found them instructional. I think those videos reflect very poorly on the whole Liberty3D store, as a side effect. But that's just me (and some others, probably.) In the end I spent just a few bucks. I can live with that. I won't recommend them though, and I won't buy from him again. I'd love to see Liberty3D as a quality stamp of reference, but to me it's not, for the reasons I've already said.

I wish them all the best. But it's a pity.

pinkmouse
07-24-2016, 10:54 AM
The one Gibson video I bought was enough. Half the time he seemed to be making it up as he went along, and there were even a few "I wonder what happens when I do this?" comments. I do like Kat's stuff though.

erikals
07-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Kat and Ryan at Liberty3D makes great tutorials.
Craig aka Rebel Hill also creates excellent ones.

for 3DCoat, i think there are some very good free ones on Youtube

Spinland
07-24-2016, 11:43 AM
Kat and Ryan at Liberty3D makes great tutorials.

Absolutely; they are among the best I have ever seen at producing quality content that's both engaging and tightly focused.

Craig aka Rebel Hill also creates excellent ones.

Also in full agreement. As I said above: I consider his material to be the gold standard for LW video tutorials.

for 3DCoat, i think there are some very good free ones on Youtube

Quite probably. When I first started using 3DC it seemed there was precious little covering what I wanted to learn, and the (sorry guys) official stuff seemed scattershot and unfocused and rather difficult for me to follow. Perhaps things have improved out there; it's been a while since I was in the market for 3DC training stuff.

erikals
07-24-2016, 01:02 PM
yep, i've had 3DCoat for years, still need to learn it, but so much to do as i'm into...
audio / video / 3d / marketing / sales / robotics / ... Zzzz... need... more... time...

but many alright ones on Youtube i believe... >
https://www.youtube.com/results?q=3DCoat&sp=CAE%253D

by the way, there's a 3DCoat sale going on at the moment (10 hours left)
http://3dcoat.com/buy

jeric_synergy
07-25-2016, 11:17 AM
It was an offer, for a few bucks, so I bought several at once.

I'm sad to hear that, and I understand how one might grab several at once on a deal.

What particularly and specifically did you find lacking? I'm in the market for 3DC training.

FWIW, what I like about Ryan's is that he obviously scripts them (they are tight) AND will make animated screenies of particular issues if he feels they need extra emphasis.

While I appreciate Rebel Hill's tutorial contents (can't be beat), visually they are quite a bit more static than Ryan's. But they are so extensive that seems a small quibble.

I've never had an opportunity to invest in Kat's training.

+++++++++++
(after reading back a ways) --YEAH, WTF is up with 3DC presentations? Someone above said "scattershot" and that nails it.

I suspect the program ITSELF is scattershot: while it's obviously powerful, its design is IMO woefully lacking, it's like the kitchen sink in there after a large meal-- EVERYthing is in there, but it's very messy.

I've yet to see a GOOD presentation that walks you through a project in a competent manner, and I'm sure it doesn't help that the UI has changed quite rapidly (and not especially for the better) in recent months.

It's just odd that the program seems to RESIST good presentation.

rwhunt99
07-25-2016, 01:01 PM
Still, his delivery leaves much to be desired: he seems not to have rehearsed or scripted any of his commentary or actions, and the videos would benefit from massive editing. Rebel Hill's videos are, IMNSDHO, the gold standard for crisp, well-rehearsed delivery with no irrelevant fluff or hem-hawing around. With a Gibson video I often resort to fast forward until he gets to the actual point. I did an informal survey of several and found that each could stand to be about 60% as long as they currently are and lose no useful content.

I have to agree, I wish I had a nickle for every "sorry" he says on his videos. Lol I agree, sometimes he is learning on our dime, I have several of his videos and have learned a few things, but wow, it is a struggle to get through. That said, I do like Liberty 3D, they do have some top notch tutorials.

Spinland
07-25-2016, 01:03 PM
... I wish I had a nickle for every "sorry" he says on his videos ... sometimes he is learning on our dime

Quoted for full agreement. This is precisely how I feel. The info is in there but extracting it can be painful.

jeric_synergy
07-25-2016, 02:26 PM
The actual "content" besides the poor presentation and hesitations was not OK either. But, hey, good for you all if you found them instructional. I think those videos reflect very poorly on the whole Liberty3D store, as a side effect. But that's just me (and some others, probably.) In the end I spent just a few bucks. I can live with that. I won't recommend them though, and I won't buy from him again. I'd love to see Liberty3D as a quality stamp of reference, but to me it's not, for the reasons I've already said.
Kat is pretty responsive and I think he feels the same about his brand.

Perhaps this is WHY they were being "blown out" in a sale?

Anyway, thanks for the hedzup: I will avoid. Seems I've lucked out so far.

gjjackson
07-26-2016, 02:32 PM
I just noticed Lee Stranahan is Now at Breitbart news. I wonder if They know of his crooked background.

jeric_synergy
07-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Like that pack of liars would care.

What's made him surface for me is the "I know I've been slamming (some legal charity), but god bless them now that >>I<< needed them!! Those godless liberals saved my hiney!"

What an typical rightwinger. --I don't even remember any 'crooked past'.

SBowie
07-26-2016, 06:09 PM
Commenting on the perceived quality of a product is one thing, but let's knock the personal remarks off please.

bbuxton
07-26-2016, 06:09 PM
Has anyone managed to get their money back from Dan?
I purchased the training to help my daughter with her medical science course, which she completed without the benefit of Dan's tutorials in May.
My last correspondence with Dan I mentioned that her couse had finished and his response was to thank me for my patience and that he hoped to release the material sometime in June.
At the time of purchase well over a year ago the 3DGarage site stated that the release was just days away (this statement was later removed).
I realise that this is a really low priority for Dan, that he is a busy man with far more important things to do than honour his obligation to those who have paid for this material but after all this time my patience is more than a little thin.

SBowie
07-26-2016, 06:18 PM
... more important things to do than honour his obligation ...Well, OT, but I just want to mention what a pleasure it is after a number of years in Texas to see "honour" spelled 'correctly'. (How odd that Honor Blackman got it wrong.) ;)

inkpen3d
07-28-2016, 02:56 AM
Has anyone managed to get their money back from Dan?
I purchased the training to help my daughter with her medical science course, which she completed without the benefit of Dan's tutorials in May.
My last correspondence with Dan I mentioned that her couse had finished and his response was to thank me for my patience and that he hoped to release the material sometime in June.
At the time of purchase well over a year ago the 3DGarage site stated that the release was just days away (this statement was later removed).
I realise that this is a really low priority for Dan, that he is a busy man with far more important things to do than honour his obligation to those who have paid for this material but after all this time my patience is more than a little thin.

If you paid by credit card then, under UK law, maybe you can get your money back due to non-delivery of the item. Worth checking with the credit card company.

Markc
08-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Had 'another' email from 3D Garage today.
Most titles are on sale $9.95 (not medical).
Medical training released this month...........:foreheads :rolleyes:!

Screenshots actually look quite good.

jeric_synergy
08-12-2016, 12:39 PM
They are good, they're just not timely.

Only buy existing product. Everybody is happier.

Spinland
08-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Heh. Just got the same email. Actually picked up a couple of titles because for ten bucks each why not? Looking forward to seeing this mythical medical beast finally make a showing. :alien:

Signal to Noise
08-13-2016, 01:39 PM
I enquired about the long overdue LWMCW when I received the email about the sale. Dan's response was it will be released this month(!!). He offered to send me the videos that were ready early. I replied that I've waited this long I can wait a couple of weeks for the whole enchilada.:p

50one
08-13-2016, 01:56 PM
I wish some of my customers have the same level of patience;)))))

Farhad_azer
08-13-2016, 05:26 PM
You wish you had 50one??? you have it. poor Farhad sent you request and you said you will confirm and he is waiting for months now. :)

Spinland
08-13-2016, 06:02 PM
I wish some of my customers have the same level of patience;)))))

Heh. Heard that. I've had some pretty twitchy clients in the past.

Thing is, I also think the long timeframe and sketchy communication about the status of the medical stuff is odd and normally I might have become annoyed by it all. That being said, on one hand it wasn't that much money tied up in the thing, and I still have reason to expect I won't ultimately get stiffed, so there's that. Also, I have a very soft spot in my heart for the contributions Dan has made to my LW growth, starting with my first purchase of his [8] courseware along with a student license (which said purchase qualified me to obtain), as well as his textbook. Those were my introduction to the 'Waver world and since then I've been a regular customer of his videos and books and have always found him to be selfless, responsive and helpful with my various questions over the years.

Yeah, this latest situation is entirely atypical of my years of interaction with him but I feel he's earned my patience and trust. YMMV. :D

Markc
08-14-2016, 03:19 AM
Once it's released, I may even get it myself.
There is some interesting looking stuff in the images, plus I've recently been on a tour of the body on my Gear VR, which was quite inspirational (more for the alien looking environments, when down to macro level).

Signal to Noise
10-12-2016, 08:49 AM
Woot! An update on the 3DGarage site for the Medical Courseware:

"DOWNLOAD LINKS BY NEXT WEEK, OCT 2016"

Hope the two year wait was worth it....

Markc
10-12-2016, 11:39 AM
I'd take that info with a pinch of salt (but I hope it does finally show itself).

Markc
11-02-2016, 01:21 PM
Well it's now November, and the site still says available by end of Oct!

Marander
11-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Well it's now November, and the site still says available by end of Oct!

Wow that's really bad and a big shame.

Seems he didn't learn from his mistakes, selling modo 10 course now that is not yet available (and probably not be by end of the year).
"Please note, you will be billed now, but receive your full course access by year end, 2016."

Why can't he be fair to the customers and at least finish one thing first (for what he got the money already). Or give back the money and provide the part that is finished already. I have some of his old books but would never ever buy anything from Dan Ablan again.

gjjackson
11-02-2016, 09:28 PM
Unfortunately Dan is really and literally Destroying his brand. When he missed the first release, nearly two years ago, he SHOULD have put every effort to get it out, even if he had to spend many sleepless nights. Instead, he has done just the opposite by stringing everyone along again and again and again. Who in their right mind would give him ANY benefit of the doubt ANYMORE.

3D Kiwi
11-02-2016, 11:01 PM
Are they giving refunds?

OlaHaldor
11-03-2016, 12:38 AM
I purchased the Modo 901 courseware about this time last year. Most of the training was released in one huge chunk, the final parts are still yet to come, with promises on the forums and through emails about it coming "this month", "by the end of July" etc.. Still no word. Nobody know's what's going on. No way I'm ever buying anything from that site again unless it's actually been released. Don't know whether I'll buy anything there again to be honest.

Spinland
11-03-2016, 03:12 AM
For whatever it's worth I found an email in this morning's batch that claims an 11 November release for the medical courseware and the Modo 10 title in December. Not going to pass judgement either way but that info might be useful to someone.

Signal to Noise
11-03-2016, 07:14 AM
^
Coincidentally the email was sent just after the Chicago Cubs won the World Series. :)

Spinland
11-03-2016, 08:14 AM
:jester:

Markc
11-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Well another date has slipped, it says on the site available next week November 10th........

mummyman
11-11-2016, 01:41 PM
Maybe the stuff in the courseware is outdated and he's updating things? That stuff that is mentioned isn't really all that hard to do in Lightwave. It's very basic stuff. Too bad he's not letting people know what's up.

Markc
11-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Just looked back through some old emails from 3d Garage.

LightWave 3D Medical Courseware Update!
This course will finally see the light of day next week! Learn blood cells, brain stems, textures, modeling, hypervoxels and more!

It's been Re-Recorded ENTIRELY in the latest LightWave - v2015!
Learn how to create amazing medical animations in LightWave 3D

This was from March 2015

Signal to Noise
11-12-2016, 06:23 PM
Now the 3DGarage website says...

"DOWNLOAD LINKS COMING THIS WEEKEND, November 11, 12, 13, 2016

Thanks for your patience waiting on another great 3DG course!"

We're getting close! lol.

RonGC
11-13-2016, 10:35 AM
I'm getting close as well, close to never purchasing from 3dGarage again, to long of a wait since I preordered this product.

SPICE
11-13-2016, 10:43 AM
LOL
two years ago .. I promise that is a **** way .. .DAN u are on the wrong way.
but at that time .. I earned only a **** STORM ;)

@ shronx and all that other cool lightwavers.... LOL

bbuxton
11-14-2016, 05:09 PM
I got an email promising links for Nov 11 but still nothing yet. Did anybody get their links yet?

jeric_synergy
11-14-2016, 06:14 PM
I don't know what's been ailing Dan, but his brand is fatally compromised.

GandB
11-17-2016, 09:51 AM
I didn't buy into this; but I've been following it closely. I always appreciated Dan's Courseware; but I'm very disappointed in how he handled this.

Markc
11-17-2016, 01:21 PM
It does say on the website links going out, should receive 16-17th Nov!
Anyone that has preordered, let us know, it does look interesting.

jwiede
11-17-2016, 06:10 PM
I didn't buy into this; but I've been following it closely. I always appreciated Dan's Courseware; but I'm very disappointed in how he handled this.

Agreed. I'm sure there's something going on behind the scenes, but regardless he could and should have handled this situation more transparently.

RonGC
11-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Still no links for my long standing preorder. I have purchased several books and videos from him in the past and never had anything like this debacle previously. Dan really needs to get this handled, it is very hard now to trust his brand.

50one
11-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Here's the latest from Dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM

Markc
11-19-2016, 04:34 AM
Still no links for my long standing preorder. I have purchased several books and videos from him in the past and never had anything like this debacle previously. Dan really needs to get this handled, it is very hard now to trust his brand.

It does say on the site (today), if you haven't received download links, you should have them this weekend!
Good luck.

I don't know how much you paid, but it's reduced from $129 to $89.
It would only be fair for all preorders to be credited the difference as a courtesy for the ridiculous delay.

Signal to Noise
11-22-2016, 12:26 PM
I haven't received links yet. I emailed Dan yesterday along with my pre-order receipt from 2014(!!) inquiring on said links. He responded quickly stating he was in the process of manually emailing them out as there's a glitch in the automatic IT matrix. Oh well, what's another week or two wait in the Grand Scheme of Things?

shrox
11-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Here's the latest from Dan...[/video]

He's so beige.

Sekhar
11-22-2016, 06:37 PM
I just emailed 3DG and immediately got a download link. I'm still going through it, but it looks unfinished, with stuff missing...which would be a major anticlimax.

3D Kiwi
11-22-2016, 08:08 PM
What do you mean by unfinished and what is missing?

Sekhar
11-22-2016, 08:14 PM
What do you mean by unfinished and what is missing?

E.g., there is a Cancer Cells set that has videos 1, 2, 4, and 5...no 3. In the last video 5, Dan says "let's go on to the next project," and there is no next project. I just had a brief look and saw stuff like this, it seems unfinished. I emailed 3DG, let's see what they find out.

3D Kiwi
11-22-2016, 08:29 PM
E.g., there is a Cancer Cells set that has videos 1, 2, 4, and 5...no 3. In the last video 5, Dan says "let's go on to the next project," and there is no next project. I just had a brief look and saw stuff like this, it seems unfinished. I emailed 3DG, let's see what they find out.

Late to be released, drop in price and missing features. Sounds like he is just doing it the Newtek way :-)

Sekhar
11-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Just got a response from Dan: apparently he's working on the remaining sections, this is indeed an interim release. At least we have something to check out, let's see how it is.

Signal to Noise
11-23-2016, 07:40 AM
^
He should be informing customers of these omissions in the links email. It's going to get a lot of people reaching the 'wtf' stage after the 2 year wait already.

I got my link email late in the evening yesterday. Proceeded to download which took a long while for each one. Can't remember what the total GB of the zip files were (and haven't even opened them to check things out) but I'd say it took about 2 hours total to get them. This is on a wifi 5.0GHz connected laptop with a very fast ISP service. Comparatively I had recently downloaded World of Warcraft (for the kids!) on the same laptop and the 40 GB download took less than an hour.

Btw, The last zip file "Content" downloaded in a millisecond. Haven't unzipped this either but I imagine as being the source content for the tutorials I'd thought the file would be relatively big in 10's or 100's of MB. Will have to check things out when I can.

Signal to Noise
11-24-2016, 09:17 AM
Just received another 3DGarage email with link for an 'updated version' of LWMCW. Haven't checked it out since I'm not at home to download. Promising, tho'!

RonGC
11-24-2016, 09:20 AM
Just received my download links, will see what all i get. If it is still a work in progress going to be a bit miffed.

Spinland
11-24-2016, 09:26 AM
Just got my email with the "updated" links. That was the first email I've received which is just as well I didn't try the old ones. :)

RonGC
11-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Well downloaded the course files and looks like the complete package. The content file is small but as the training uses mostly hypervoxels and procedural textures you cram a lot in a small package. Glad to have this pre order completed.

Ariandesign
11-29-2017, 02:39 PM
Hi,
If I purchase the "LightWave 3D Medical Courseware" is now updated and complete?
Thanks in advance for any reply

MichaelT
11-29-2017, 03:04 PM
Here's the latest from Dan

trololololo

This clip and your avatar next to it... you planned this.. didn't you? ;)

Ariandesign
11-29-2017, 04:57 PM
I've purchased the course.....are your videos available in HD?
I've purchased the older LW 11 and 11.5 course some years ago and they were in HD.......this course seems to be just 540p?
Is it the same for you?
I've received any project files....i've just access to the videos on 3dgarage site....
Is it normal?

And also...

on blod cells folder i've available 9 videos....
on brain cell folder i've available 2 videos....
on cancer 0 video......

gjjackson
11-29-2017, 05:19 PM
I remember finally getting this, after years of waiting. I guess you get what you pay for because it was a serious disappointment. It was described as something far more advanced so I expected something outstanding considering everything that encompasses the medical field. It looked more like something that was put together in a few hours and was SO basic I could have done it after learning LW for six months. Since it is So rudimentary there would be no reason to even Have project files. A person would do much better just posting questions here than pay money to those who seem to be taking advantage of the LW community.

Luc_Feri
12-01-2017, 12:31 PM
It's all bizarre really. My first course was MODO 601 Signature and it was decent. I then bought LW and got his LW signature course which was made before MODO one and it was much better, very good for a newbie. I bought his up to speed 11.5 one which was very poor to be honest and I never bothered after that.

All deleted now off my computer.

erikals
12-02-2017, 03:17 PM
i remember he made some quite nice books back in the days, hope he gets back on track. (sincerely)

jeric_synergy
12-02-2017, 10:29 PM
I think he's moved on.

jperk
03-10-2018, 09:39 AM
I just bought this and the Cancer Cells bit is empty with no videos? Just contacted Dan and waiting for a response. Wasn't aware that the courseware was incomplete or maybe it's an error and a matter of uploading the material to the site?

Sekhar
03-10-2018, 10:05 AM
I just bought this and the Cancer Cells bit is empty with no videos? Just contacted Dan and waiting for a response. Wasn't aware that the courseware was incomplete or maybe it's an error and a matter of uploading the material to the site?

He never finished it. He delayed it bu a couple of years or so, and when he finally did release it, it was incomplete...said he was going to finish it after release, but it never happened, and I'm pretty sure it never will. Lesson learned for me (against buying before release, at least from Dan).

jperk
03-10-2018, 01:20 PM
I just received a response from Dan and the videos should be up within the few next week as the delay was caused by personal matters.

Ariandesign
03-20-2018, 11:26 AM
Yeah.....he told to me the same....on 11th of march....

This time we've to wait until spring.....

I'm waiting from november...and when I contacted him at the end of december he tolds me: "next week"

I've no more words about this situation.......

In my last mail I've asked a refund because I'm waiting from several months but he didn't replied to this question...He just told to me about his problems....and I'm sorry about his problems, I really am, but at the end, I still am without the course.....and I've paid for that.

I'm really disappointed because I loved his old trainings and I purchased from his site the LW2015 medical course because I trusted him, I wasn't wondering that he was selling an incomplete course.......

i was really surprised when, after the purchase, I've founded the course was missing a lot of videos.........and I'm even more surprised with this continuous delays

:(

Schwyhart
03-23-2018, 07:29 PM
I've been telling people for at least 5 years to not buy from him. Dan's stuff used to be good, but sucks now. Not to mention he literally never finishes anything anymore.