PDA

View Full Version : about the .psd exporter....

stylus10
02-18-2015, 03:15 PM
is there a way to make the exported .psd a 32 bit file including alpha channel? or do i just need to create a separate alpha?

Ma3rk
02-18-2015, 03:44 PM
Simply select the corresponding 32-bit PSD saver is all, whether from the File Save menu from an F9 render or the Output tab on the Render globals.

stylus10
02-18-2015, 04:34 PM
i was confused. it will write a 24 bit file by just directing the exporter there. you say add the output file as .psd32 and that will upgrade it from 24. cool. and thanks!

stylus10
02-19-2015, 07:39 AM
i tried your suggestion. it saves two files . one a standard .psd one layer with alpha, and one .psd export with multiple layers and no alpha i can find. hummmmmm.

Greenlaw
02-19-2015, 08:15 AM
Seems to work here.

127098 127099

For Photoshop, however, you might consider PNG32. This way you'll have a transparent background instead of a separate alpha channel, which might be easier to work with in a Photoshop layer.

G.

Greenlaw
02-19-2015, 08:19 AM
This might seem obvious but are you rendering with f9 or f10? The savers in the Output panel are for rendering with f10, Render-Q or LWSN.

Hope this helps.

G.

JoePoe
02-19-2015, 09:25 AM
I think he's talking about the Image Processing filter "PSD Export".
(and he's right..... no alpha option)

But, Stylus10.... as you can see you don't need that filter at all here.
Just do an F9 or F10 and pick the desired file type.

As Greenlaw showed the F10, I'll show the F9....

127102 127103

stylus10
02-19-2015, 09:28 AM
you know, in my lightwave 11.6.3, f9 exports the .psd. also, looking at the above post, i do indeed get an alpha channel with that setting, but only a one layer psd. in other words i don't get to have the image filter "psd" with the various render attributes saved as multiple layers in a 200 megabyte frame.

i have saved out a separate alpha channel from the render. but i can't find a place to make it work in the stack. thanks so much for your help in this. confusing.

JoePoe
02-19-2015, 09:32 AM
So you want all the broken out layers from the filter exporter AND the alpha in one shot!

...but i can't find a place to make it work in the stack....

Oh... I think I see. (maybe I'm oversimplifying, if so I apologize)

In Pshop you've got the alpha in the Channels section right? (Not as another image layer).

Greenlaw
02-19-2015, 09:55 AM
I think he's talking about the Image Processing filter "PSD Export".
(and he's right..... no alpha option)

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. To me that sounds like a bug and probably should be reported.

I guess I never use the PSD Filter for embedded multi-channel export because I normally use exrTrader and .exr for that.

G.

Greenlaw
02-19-2015, 10:15 AM
I don't know if it's the case here but F9 doesn't necessarily use the file savers added to the Image Filters panel. When using F9, some plug-in don't use any other saver than the one listed in the F9 window, and some make it optional to use external savers. exrTrader for example has the option to save the file when invoking only F10 (the default), with both F9 and F10, or only LWSN. (Edit: Sorry, previously written info was incorrect. This info is now correct.)

I think you're best bet is to use F10 to save from an Image Filter saver.

Okay, I just tested the PSD Exporter Image Filter for myself, and it seems to save an alpha channel too. Here are some screen caps to illustrate:

127105 127106

In the first pic, you can see I used only the PSD Exporter Filter to save the file. The normal file saver is inactive. To save the file, I used F10 and the result is shown in Photoshop.

I'm using Lightwave 2015.1 but I imagine this should work in 11.6.3 as well. Just curious but are you on Win or Mac? It should work on either but I wonder if this is a platform specific bug, in which case it needs to be reported.

G.

Greenlaw
02-19-2015, 10:26 AM
To complete the test, I enabled a bunch of stuff in the exporter and F10'd it again.

127108 127109

The first pic shows the enabled export channels in the PSD and the second pic shows the embedded alpha channel.

BTW, if you don't enable the normal image saver in the Render Globals Output panel, Lightwave will warn you that it won't be saving a file. This is not necessarily true--it just means it's not going to save a file through the normal output saver. Just click okay and it should be good to save from the Image Filter saver. Hope this helps.

G.

jeric_synergy
02-19-2015, 10:31 AM
In Pshop you've got the alpha in the Channels section right? (Not as another image layer).

This may be 'to the side', but I've run into it as a problem before when compositing: PSD files can have transparency both embedded in individual layers and explicitly as a specific Channel(s). This has caused difficulties for me when comping LW renders in PShop, but not in AE, which seems to handle it better.

I don't recall the specific difficulty, but it probably rests in expecting to have an actual Channel to manipulate, when the transparency is implicit (somehow) in the layer. Also, I'm not sure how one accesses PSD Layer embedded transparency values-- where are they??

Also: WHY do we seem to have so much trouble using the PSD exporter?

stylus10
02-19-2015, 10:39 AM
channels. who knew? well you did mr. greenlaw. i have found the alpha channel in channels in photoshop. whew. i notice that it is normally off. is there a way i can turn it on in after effects? have it show up as a layer? or otherwise turn it on. if not i suppose i could batch automate the entire image sequence in photoshop. am i being dense here? what am i missing.

also, i am win7, 11.6.3, intel i7 duel 8core hypers.

Greenlaw
02-19-2015, 10:56 AM
If it's available, the alpha channel should always be 'on' in AE. If it's not, check the Alpha setting for the file in Interpret Footage. To view the alpha channel, you need to be inside the layer itself (as opposed to only selecting it in a comp) and choose Alpha under the Show Channel button. If you want to see and use the alpha as an RGB image, you can force it into the RGB space using Set Channel. This is useful if you intend to alter the alpha in some way for a mask effect, like for light wraps, edge blur, etc.

G.

jeric_synergy
02-19-2015, 11:15 AM
What Greenlaw said: The confusion for me arises from the difference between a LW render and its alpha, from which all transparency is derived (right?), and Photoshop embedded transparency-per-layer VERSUS the explicit Photoshop 'alpha' channel that may or may not exist. Remember that a PSD can have an unlimited number of Channels that can be used for whatever purpose is suited to a gray scale bitplane.

stylus10
02-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Thanks so much for all this guys, it seems as if i am going to have to make my decisions about the various buffer layers and then render with an alpha, and then put in my background. i think this image processor should work better. or perhaps just differently. but i do love the control i get to have in post.

Otterman
02-26-2015, 05:31 AM
I wasted so much time with the PSD exporter. EXRTrader for lightwave and ProEXR for Photoshop/After Effects will serve you a lot better. Trust me it's worth the investment.

You have greater flexibility with your buffers, Image quality is better and file sizes are smaller. The only downside is you have to stack Layers and change the modes accordingly to get the buffers to composite correctly. (still not nailed that one yet)