PDA

View Full Version : The first game you worked on.

shrox
02-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Post the first "big" game you worked on. Suffer the embarrassment of your past! This is "The Hive" from 1995...this was said to be the "Rebel Assault Killer". I was lead artist and did about 80% of the level layout, models and animation in general. The aliens I made by rearranging a human skeleton.

Worst ever thumbnail too...skip through the video to see the neat stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqcD6P7uU4c

Dan Ritchie
02-18-2015, 03:59 PM
Worked on Flipout for the Atari Jaguar, some Barbie ocean stuff, a few I forget.

Actually, the 2D stuff at the biginning was mine. Did it in Painter and Lighwave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5FMGzWWNW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5FMGzWWNW8

brent3d
02-18-2015, 06:05 PM
Sid Meier's Civilization III, by Firaxis Games, published by Infogrames (2001)
Cinematic Director and Character Unit Team Leader.
(Lightwave for Models and Cinematics, 3DsMax for Character Studio Biped in-game character animations)
(Dual 500mhz Xeons, yeah baby!!)

End game "Launch" Cinematic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9CXcTJdNMo

shrox
02-18-2015, 06:37 PM
Worked on Flipout for the Atari Jaguar, some Barbie ocean stuff, a few I forget.

Actually, the 2D stuff at the biginning was mine. Did it in Painter and Lighwave...

Jaguar! I remember that system! I thought this thread might jump start a few memories.

- - - Updated - - -

Sid Meier's Civilization III, by Firaxis Games, published by Infogrames (2001)
Cinematic Director and Character Unit Team Leader.
(Lightwave for Models and Cinematics, 3DsMax for Character Studio Biped in-game character animations)
(Dual 500mhz Xeons, yeah baby!!)

Was that picked up later by Breakaway?

mummyman
02-18-2015, 08:12 PM
Ha... this is easy for me... first and only game: Galactic Bowling, aka: Alien Monster Bowling League, for a failed Steam release, then a Wii port. I was responsible for particles, streaks, poofs, flashy things like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6NGr7nWbgY

shadowlock
02-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Command Adventures Starship from 1993
Lead Designer and some graphics
Lightwave on the Amiga :-) We had a Amiga 2000 and a 4000 along with a couple of 500's w/Deluxe Paint etc....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaoURR0XcGU

shrox
02-18-2015, 10:04 PM
For The Hive we used DOS 3D Studio, We started on The Hive II, but it didn't happen, but that was when I was given the DEC/Alpha from the SeaQuest group with LW4 on it.

vonpietro
02-18-2015, 11:21 PM
twisted metal black for playstation 2 - i created visuals for 5 characters
at foundation imaging
=)

shrox
02-18-2015, 11:52 PM
twisted metal black for playstation 2 - i created visuals for 5 characters
at foundation imaging
=)

What year was that?

vonpietro
02-18-2015, 11:56 PM
2002 maybe? been awhile

Greenlaw
02-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Since 2001, I've worked on a ton of video game commercials and trailers but I'm not sure that really counts since most of the work never appear inside of the actual games. FWIW, I think the very first commercials I worked on was either that NASCAR Racing 'Ben Hur' or Sim City 4 'Conductor' commercial. Ben Hur was fun because we got to work directly from a film print of the movie but Sim City was more special because it was the first commercial I got to design and storyboard.

When we did Ninja Gaiden III, the game's creator liked the commercial so much he had it embedded within the game, so that almost counts. :)

We did a fantastic HALO piece for Microsoft. I was really proud of that one. Unfortunately, it was never released for public viewing.

I think the game I first worked on directly was probably Kinectimals. I must have been busy with something else at that same time though because all I can recall is doing a little bit of tiger cub animation and camera choreography.

The biggest actual game I worked on was probably Star Wars Kinect. Our crew created a lot of the pre-rendered in-game cinematics. The game engine cinematics were farmed out to another studio though.

Before any of the above, way back in the '90s, I designed some tiny 'home brew' games as a hobby. I guess that doesn't count either because only a few friends and user groups ever played those games and they were never meant to be be 'products'. But I really enjoyed working on them and I'd really like to get back to making my own games some day using modern tools. (Anybody interested in a 'Brudders' game?) :p

Before I met her, my wife worked a little bit on Final Fantasy 7 (original PlayStation version). I think she painted some texture maps. She says it was no big deal but I think that's pretty cool.

G.

vonpietro
02-19-2015, 02:31 PM
greenlaw!
final fantasy 7 was from what i hear - a really good game!!

congrats on making games for your friends - thats super cool!!

twisted metal black production was done on i think ver 6 or something close to it of lightwave.

Greenlaw
02-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Oh, yeah, FF7 was awesome! I played it a year or two before I met my wife. (Back when I still had time to play games.) Funny that she never played the game herself, but I guess that shouldn't be surprising--I rarely watch any of the movies and shows or played the games I've worked on either.

The little games I made back in the dinosaur days personal computers were pretty simple and silly. The earliest ones were goofy Infocom-like adventures which only made sense to friends and family. Later I dabbled with making games using Director and later Flash but that was just a hobby too.

That was a loooong time ago but I wished I kept up with it. My scripting skills have grown super rusty and I can really use them at my job. At least my wife can code :)

G.

shrox
02-19-2015, 03:07 PM
...At least my wife can code :)

G.

Excellent!

brent3d
02-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Was that picked up later by Breakaway?

Break Away Games did the testing and quality control stuff for us then and they helped on the expansions.
Fan note: In mid production of Civ III Microsoft Games scooped up literally half of our team and created Big Huge Games (Rise of Nations, etc.), which led to a very intense production to say the least.
Also dual 24 inch CRTs for the win..lol (took two people just to move one monitor, crazy!)

Dan Ritchie
02-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Wait, Twisted metal black for Playstation. I think I worked on that. Those 3 months before they went down.

shrox
02-19-2015, 09:50 PM
These are pretty good for your first game actually. Excellent!