PDA

View Full Version : To see node in Modeler

Niko3D
02-18-2015, 09:45 AM
Hi folks!

In Modeler...If I create one simple node how can I see it in Modeler in texture mode?
For example if I create a cube in wood?How can I see the wood?...

Thanks

Sensei
02-18-2015, 10:02 AM
This is the same questions as in thread
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145647-Procedural-texture-not-showing&p=1421792

Niko3D
02-18-2015, 10:48 AM
This is the same questions as in thread
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145647-Procedural-texture-not-showing&p=1421792

So no way?
For to create a node and to see what happens the only way is...or to use VPR or to put, for example, wood texture in the classic channel color and copy and paste all setting (UV, Cubic or Planar, X,Y,Z and rotation) inside the color node...
I don't understand why doesn't exist the button "show in the viewport" or something else...it's so obvious for me!

Thanks for the link anyway Sensei!

Niko3D
02-18-2015, 10:52 AM
But I don't understand why sometimes I can see in some models, in Modeler of course, the color node without the classic color channel?

prometheus
02-18-2015, 01:14 PM
Some procedurals will work in modeler, and some donīt.

Niko3D
02-19-2015, 02:39 AM
mmmm...quite strange and tricky...but to be honest I don't care about the procedurals, for me it's more interesting the color channel. I would like just to see for example when I put the wooden floor...direction ect...nothing complex or Super Nodes.
But this it's very stupid for me...in 3DS you can see in your model what happens...without VPR or something else...

prometheus
02-19-2015, 03:31 AM
mmmm...quite strange and tricky...but to be honest I don't care about the procedurals, for me it's more interesting the color channel. I would like just to see for example when I put the wooden floor...direction ect...nothing complex or Super Nodes.
But this it's very stupid for me...in 3DS you can see in your model what happens...without VPR or something else...

I think I made a comment by mistake and in confusion between another thread about procedurals.

Anyway, itīs the same in open gl for modeler and layout, some procedurals will work, in standard color layer and some will not..itīs dependend on how the procudural is made, and what kind of
not sure if 3d max can show all itīs procedurals in open gl or not?
wooden floor textures based on images in modeler, that should all work though.

for more info on showcasing procedurals in open gl, check william vaughans tutorials, and take note to check the open gl multitexturing, and glsl shader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrjcTnrTq9Q

Info also here...

https://books.google.se/books?id=myLcfmxy_mQC&pg=PA128&lpg=PA128&dq=lightwave+procedural+opengl&source=bl&ots=ciTn9i1I7s&sig=wvPwrfB8D04abx6UOW4GA0nzn-g&hl=sv&sa=X&ei=PbrlVMaAG6LaywP8gIKwAw&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=lightwave%20procedural%20opengl&f=false

But first of all, what kind of wooden texture are you trying to use in the color channel? is it an image texture or procedural? and if procedural...which one?

Michael

Niko3D
02-19-2015, 06:53 AM
I think I made a comment by mistake and in confusion between another thread about procedurals.

Anyway, itīs the same in open gl for modeler and layout, some procedurals will work, in standard color layer and some will not..itīs dependend on how the procudural is made, and what kind of
not sure if 3d max can show all itīs procedurals in open gl or not?
wooden floor textures based on images in modeler, that should all work though.

for more info on showcasing procedurals in open gl, check william vaughans tutorials, and take note to check the open gl multitexturing, and glsl shader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrjcTnrTq9Q

Info also here...

https://books.google.se/books?id=myLcfmxy_mQC&pg=PA128&lpg=PA128&dq=lightwave+procedural+opengl&source=bl&ots=ciTn9i1I7s&sig=wvPwrfB8D04abx6UOW4GA0nzn-g&hl=sv&sa=X&ei=PbrlVMaAG6LaywP8gIKwAw&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=lightwave%20procedural%20opengl&f=false

But first of all, what kind of wooden texture are you trying to use in the color channel? is it an image texture or procedural? and if procedural...which one?

Michael

It is not important which kind of texture...wooden floor (like parquet) or marble, it's only an example...
What I mean is:
if I want to create a simple node, only to put one image in color channel in node version, I can't see it in the Modeler viewports...that's all...very easy...but I can't see it. I can see it only in VPR.
In 3dSMax there's a button is called "Show Material in Viewport"...
I don't like 3dSMax...but fuc...g hell on these basic things and much more ahead!!!

Thank you anyway Michael!:)

Sensei
02-19-2015, 08:49 AM
Use traditional layer texturing system, and you will see your color textures in Modeler no problem..

Niko3D
02-19-2015, 09:00 AM
...I think I do as always I've done...for the images I put in traditional way...and copy and paste in Node.

MSherak
02-19-2015, 01:24 PM
It is not important which kind of texture...wooden floor (like parquet) or marble, it's only an example...
What I mean is:
if I want to create a simple node, only to put one image in color channel in node version, I can't see it in the Modeler viewports...that's all...very easy...but I can't see it. I can see it only in VPR.
In 3dSMax there's a button is called "Show Material in Viewport"...
I don't like 3dSMax...but fuc...g hell on these basic things and much more ahead!!!

Thank you anyway Michael!:)

In MAX all models have a UVW coordinate, inherently bad, but still have them. So that means you have UV coordinates on everything. Easy to bake a texture and place in the UV's. That is MAX's "Show Material in Viewport" button. Test this, hit that button on multi materials and try to edit. By the way a the final inputs node has no idea you were plugging in a texture or a procedural unlike the basic surface editor.

Follow the other threads on these forums showing key things missing when viewing nodes in OpenGL.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145647-Procedural-texture-not-showing
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145618-Converting-nodes-into-maps

Now we are going to show how to create your own SHOW NODES IN VIEWPORT setup in Modeler for you. Now this is an OLD trick that has been around since Lightwave got an Image Editor panel. Be warned since this can CRASH Modeler since you are linking all kinds of things together. Create some blank textures at a power of two. So 256x256, 512x512, etc. There is a reason for keeping them in a power of two since video cards love math and using non-power of two will increase your crash risk.

1. Load a blank texture into the image editor. (your power of two one)
2. Assign it to your surface under the surface panel.
3. Under the Processing tab in the Image Editor add the Texture Filter plugin.
4. Edit the texture and add change the layer type to Procedural Texture.
5. Now change the procedural to Node Texture.
6. Open the node editor and start texturing in Modeler.

For those users also want is an easy way to bake a node to a texture. Just double click the image and save. Now yes this could be optimized and placed as a core function in Lightwave. Other functions internally would have to be the ability to create a texture in the Image Editor. ColorSpace would have to be taken into account to get the correct color information and about a dozen other things. Place the suggestion on CSI if this is what you are looking for.

This will make you aware of many things when dealing with texturing in OpenGL.
1. Wow baking a texture can be slow
2. Wow my coordinates are all over the place
3. Wow it crashed
4. Wow it's much easier in VPR
5. Can be done in Layout also, but why?
6. <can go on but won't>

Anyway this again can crash modeler. Save often!

Enjoy,
-M

PS. I discovered this to bake surface presets to textures in 5.5 back in the 90's.

Niko3D
02-26-2015, 07:23 AM
In MAX all models have a UVW coordinate, inherently bad, but still have them. So that means you have UV coordinates on everything. Easy to bake a texture and place in the UV's. That is MAX's "Show Material in Viewport" button. Test this, hit that button on multi materials and try to edit. By the way a the final inputs node has no idea you were plugging in a texture or a procedural unlike the basic surface editor.

Follow the other threads on these forums showing key things missing when viewing nodes in OpenGL.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145647-Procedural-texture-not-showing
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145618-Converting-nodes-into-maps

Now we are going to show how to create your own SHOW NODES IN VIEWPORT setup in Modeler for you. Now this is an OLD trick that has been around since Lightwave got an Image Editor panel. Be warned since this can CRASH Modeler since you are linking all kinds of things together. Create some blank textures at a power of two. So 256x256, 512x512, etc. There is a reason for keeping them in a power of two since video cards love math and using non-power of two will increase your crash risk.

1. Load a blank texture into the image editor. (your power of two one)
2. Assign it to your surface under the surface panel.
3. Under the Processing tab in the Image Editor add the Texture Filter plugin.
4. Edit the texture and add change the layer type to Procedural Texture.
5. Now change the procedural to Node Texture.
6. Open the node editor and start texturing in Modeler.

For those users also want is an easy way to bake a node to a texture. Just double click the image and save. Now yes this could be optimized and placed as a core function in Lightwave. Other functions internally would have to be the ability to create a texture in the Image Editor. ColorSpace would have to be taken into account to get the correct color information and about a dozen other things. Place the suggestion on CSI if this is what you are looking for.

This will make you aware of many things when dealing with texturing in OpenGL.
1. Wow baking a texture can be slow
2. Wow my coordinates are all over the place
3. Wow it crashed
4. Wow it's much easier in VPR
5. Can be done in Layout also, but why?
6. <can go on but won't>

Anyway this again can crash modeler. Save often!

Enjoy,
-M

PS. I discovered this to bake surface presets to textures in 5.5 back in the 90's.

Thank you!!!
I'll try it...;)