PDA

View Full Version : Free photoshop and illustrator alternatives?

prometheus
02-14-2015, 06:28 AM
Hi folks.

I myself have photoshop and illustrator, but I am looking for free alternatives on behalf of a non profit organization.

I did some browsing and found this that might do the job decently as alternative for photoshop? If you guys have tested it..I would like to know if itīs ok and decent? before I install and test myself.
http://photoscape.en.softonic.com/

Also looking for a good free vector program that can do a lot of what illustrator does too.

If you know of some good stuff, I would be thankful if links are posted here, also if you have tested the software to some degree or not.

Thanks

Michael

Lito
02-14-2015, 07:18 AM
Free photoshop alternative I only really know of is gimp: http://www.gimp.org/
And for illustrator like there is inkscape: https://inkscape.org/en/

Skonk
02-14-2015, 08:00 AM
Not a photoshop replacement but Krita is pretty awesome.

https://krita.org/

Tropper
02-14-2015, 08:22 AM
Not free (and OSX only) but pretty cheap:

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo

https://affinity.serif.com

CaptainMarlowe
02-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Yep I used to use Pixelmator and Inkscape, but affinity products sure look like they could do the job quite nicely for a very affordable price.

jasonwestmas
02-14-2015, 09:19 AM
Free replacement? Not likely. The closest replacement is photoline but that costs a little money.

prometheus
02-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Thanks Lito for the incscape link, will check it...that might help if vector graphics is needed.

not looking for a full replacement of photoshop or illustrator, I have those..but I canīt use that for this assignment, just initially I will help and start up some tools for a non profit company, but later I will not be involved in their assignments, they have to continue on their own with the free tools I help them out with.....thus I like to see free tools as much as possible.
krita..maybe, I have to check between krita and photoscape maybe..to see which one is more close to photoshop, in the end it needs to be more of photoprocessing/editing like photoshop..rather than painting, the target will be
to use with and in conjuction with webdesign.

Michael

erikals
02-14-2015, 03:48 PM
PhotoLine is only $80, and something i'd go for... i also own it
it has some "gotcha's" though, as shown in the PhotoLine 18 video...

short preview,
PhotoLine 17 > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BfuwYmBfbU

PhotoLine 18 intro >

http://youtu.be/ZafS4fWNKoY

prometheus
02-16-2015, 03:07 PM
I was just about to try photoscape out from the softonic download, but...
I first got a message about a web browser addon installer, I skipped that, then I got a message about a video tool installer which wasnīt clear on how I could de-check for it to not install.
End result..I skipped installation overall and havenīt tested it yet.

If anyone knows how to skip all those addons and how photoscape works compared to krita, please let me know.

Cheers.

spherical
02-16-2015, 03:41 PM
I've stopped even considering anything supplied by Softonic.

jwiede
02-16-2015, 05:08 PM
Well, I see Krita as more an alternative to (Corel) Painter versus Photoshop, personally. When it comes to Photoshop-type workflows and UX, Krita just isn't a competitor other than at the broadest definition of "photo/image editor". I consider Krita much more of a "image creation" app than an "image editing/processing" app, if that makes sense.

I've never tried PhotoScape, and from the looks of it (and the sounds of its associated crapware), I won't. Using "free" as an excuse for installing a ton of garbage into your system isn't really free, and I'd rather just pay up-front.

I find Photoline is a reasonably capable Photoshop alternative, and (depending on your needs) even venerable (Corel) PaintShopPro is still a decent alternative, though neither free. However, even after attempting to get by for a while with Photoline, I still wound up buying a Mac Photoshop Extended license back around CS3. I keep both Photoline and PaintShopPro licenses current, but use them on Windows, not my main gfx workstation.

I use a Mac as my main workstation. I am loving both Serif's Affinity apps (Designer, and now Photo), as Illustrator and Photoshop alternatives, respectively. These are the first alternative apps which give me a viable sense I could begin to consider canceling my Adobe CC subscription (or at least reducing its scope a bit). There too, though, they're both inexpensive but not free.

djwaterman
02-17-2015, 01:11 AM
I just tested the install for Photoscape using the Softtronic download on the official Photoscape site., I was all primed to de-check the crapware but it didn't present me with any options and just installed the app without any add-ons. I've checked all my browsers and there is nothing added to any of them.

But before I tested this I was going to say that if you go through the install process and always check in the negative to any sort of offer, keeping in mind that they try to trick you with the layout and design of the buttons, you should be able to install the app without add-ons, just be careful and examine the perfectly legal but deceitful install UI to avoid the crapware. They can't and won't design an install that also installs stuff you don't want without your agreeing to it so just always look at the wording and layout of any offers with that in mind and you can bypass the junk.

I only installed Photoscape to test the install process and will not use it, but a quick glance at the layout tells me it's quite involved and probably has a steep learning curve.

djwaterman
02-17-2015, 01:19 AM
Just to double check, I uninstalled Photoscape and then went through the link you provided and downloaded that version, again I did not get any options for add-ons and the app installed itself and no added software, so I don't know why you are getting that and I don't.

spherical
02-17-2015, 03:40 AM
Well, as I said, stuff distributed by Softonic has loads of it. That the experience appeared to be the same in both instances would indicate that there is another factor involved in your situation. Perhaps a good firewall/anti-virus is at work.

prometheus
02-18-2015, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys for all the feedback, it may end up in the company actually buying a prescription on either one license for the full adobe suite collection or just the photoshop one, or even both..itīs up to them to check their accounts and the need for it in the end, Ivé suggested the free tools, but then thereīs also a question on providing tools for unemployed participants that will be relevent for working in the graphic industry market, and the free tools isnīt exactly what a company look for as a skillset to work with on their assignments, (unless using autodesk collection that is free for students and education institutes)

Depending on how my discussions with the MD in the company turns out, I might also recommend starting up courses with Autodesk software, since their software will most likely be available for free for education purpose.
To bad Newtek hasnīt jumped on that competing horse and providing free learning tools for schools, then I would recommend that for some stuff, and maybe even jump in as supervising if possible for some stuff.

Michael