PDA

View Full Version : More Network Inputs

Bill W
02-11-2015, 03:53 PM
In our setup, (TC-410, 3P-440, JVC-650 cams), additional network inputs would be welcome.

Use Case 1: We presently use one network input for replay and the other for graphics supplied via a CasparCG server. Ideally, we would have a second network input available to support a graphics preview channel. One way to keep this simple would be allow the sources for GFX 1/2, DDR 1/2 and/or BUF to map to a network input instead.

Use Case 2: We happen to use JCV-650 cameras that can feed a TC wirelessly via the network. In our situation, a far-side field-level camera would be ideal, but it is way beyond SDI limits and not worth the expense of fiber/converters to extend. If, however, camera inputs could also accept network sources, we would choose to use that option for this camera.

One problem with this approach is how to feed the replay inputs with a networked camera signal. Our TC SDI outputs are tied up feeding a streaming encoder and a stadium display so those aren't options. There might be other ways around this, but I haven't thought much about it because the network input required to make it all possible is not available. (The simplest solution might be to forward network camera feeds on to a 3-Play having similar capabilities for networked camera inputs).

This leads to another idea, which I am sure most folks using a TC/3Play system have thought about: Wouldn’t it be great if the SDI inputs on either the TC or 3Play looped-thru to feed the other box directly? Granted, a switcher adds versatility, and we would probably not use this capability, but I can imagine others who might, particularly if the loop-thru was not passive but also reflected any changes made by the TC paint controls.

If network camera inputs (as suggested above) were translated into SDI output signals, it would also solve the problem of extending network camera feeds to a 3Play. The days of analog inputs are long gone; use the rear-panel space for these outputs instead.

One final suggestion (really more of a distant wish): In our case, we use the JVC cameras’ network connections to paint them remotely, allowing us to receive the same (adjusted) SDI signal at both the TC and 3P boxes. This requires another computer with four browser windows/tabs open. Ideally, Newtek and JVC could put their heads together and have the internal Tricaster paint controls send these changes directly to the cameras. I realize that this probably falls into the lowest of all possible priorities, but I do think it is representative of what is to come as networked controls/feeds permeate this space. [If you do ever decide to do this, please contact me, as there is one more technical wrinkle that would make this even more useful.]

Somehow, I doubt that any of the above is news to Newtek, but thanks for listening.

SergiM
02-12-2015, 04:45 AM
Absolutely agree. Analog/component inputs are less and less used now and basically became just a 'nice to have' a while ago already, and if needing some in a particular situation there's also Blackmagic Analog to Sdi converters that do the job.

Instead, having the possibility to have more network inputs, or at least being able to convert some of the existing inputs into network inputs, would be a huge plus. More and more we use network inputs (rtmp feeds for instance) and are progressively leaving the SDI domain behind although obviously SDI is still not to be deprecated.

Anyway, there's barely any mixer out now that can do a network-feeds-only workflow, and the Tricaster having that as an option, even if partial initially (but more than the current 2 net inputs) would be a huge plus for many clients.

SergiM
02-12-2015, 04:47 AM
Quick question though: would it be able to add those extra Net inputs using the SDK? If not a titanic task we would definitely be up for giving it a shot, our developers are already having a first look at it.

kanep
02-12-2015, 07:46 AM
The SDK allows you to write applications that can connect to the NET inputs or make plug-ins that run inside the NET inputs, but its not going to allow you to create more NET inputs on the TriCaster itself.

SergiM
02-13-2015, 03:43 AM
Thanks kanep.

Another thing is, with the January 2015 update of the Tricaster 8000, it was mentioned in the changelog that

· Changes have been made to TriCaster Network connections and they should now handle network disconnects better.

but we haven't seen this in our workflow, meaning that many times a NET input getting an rtmp feed needs to be manually disconnected and reconnected to get it again or whenever it freezes for some reason. Also, when getting an rtmp feed, the audio often comes in fairly quickly but it can take easily 30 seconds for the video to show up as well.
Is this a known issue or something wrong with our workflow?

Many thanks,

kanep
02-13-2015, 01:48 PM
I believe those changes deal with AirSend connections (iVGA type clients).