PDA

View Full Version : UV to weight or weight to Uv

inakito
02-10-2015, 12:24 PM
There is already a tool in Lightwave allowing translating uvīs to weight maps.
Wouldnīt be really cool just being also able to the other way around so
we can unwrap uvīs based on weight maps? this will be pretty similar than zbrush.
I tried already several work arounds with no luck...

Sensei
02-10-2015, 03:39 PM
Better UV->Morph, and Morph->UV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Io8C2npV9I

UV has two entries per vertex, while weight map has just one. Too small. You would need to have 2 weight maps..
Morph doesn't have this problem.

inakito
02-11-2015, 04:31 AM
The idea is painting in the mesh the areas I would like to keep sepparate and the ones needing to be continous, so the ones to unfold... How can morphing to uv help on this matter?
The idea will be having an option similar to the ones on PLG where it says atlas from surface or from UV but being from Weight Map or even Color Map.

Sensei
02-11-2015, 04:44 AM
Unwelding points selected by weight map is completely different thing than transferring uv->2 weights, and 2 weights->uv, like in thread title indeed..

I thought so there are tools that select points based on weight map value? (if it's higher than entered by user)
Then you would press unweld (or unweld uv) and done.

inakito
02-11-2015, 05:03 AM
The matter is not really unwelding but unwraping geometry based on weight maps. The thread is about making uv using weight maps. Airbrush paint weights so it would be like using the airbrush to paint over areas where u would like the uv to be continous and so... similar to uv master on zbrush.

Sensei
02-11-2015, 05:13 AM
The matter is not really unwelding but unwraping geometry based on weight maps. The thread is about making uv using weight maps. Airbrush paint weights so it would be like using the airbrush to paint over areas where u would like the uv to be continous and so... similar to uv master on zbrush.

I have no idea about UV Master.

But to me, what you want is just couple steps in LW:

Weight map:

Select Polys based on weight map (VMap poly select tool)
Cut and paste.

Press ABF UV Unwrap.

inakito
02-12-2015, 05:37 AM
Hi Sensei, what you explaining is not more than selecting polys based on UC and then unwrap. I want to unwrap based on weight map. Here is a sample of waht I am refering to:

http://pixologic.com/zbrush/features/UV-Master/

Cheers

Sensei
02-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Hi Sensei, what you explaining is not more than selecting polys based on UC and then unwrap. I want to unwrap based on weight map. Here is a sample of waht I am refering to:

http://pixologic.com/zbrush/features/UV-Master/

Ok. Now I understand.

That's completely different from what is in title of this thread and 1st post.
So you want actually Unwrapping tool which is taking weight map as parameter informing whether region should be split by UV seams.
Unwrapping tool is analyzing weight map, and when it's red color, there is no seam made in that area.

inakito
02-13-2015, 04:46 AM
Wouldnīt be really cool just being also able to the other way around so
we can unwrap uvīs based on weight maps? this will be pretty similar than zbrush.
I tried already several work arounds with no luck...

I think the sentences written are self explainatory anyway but yet this is the idea Sensei ;)