PDA

View Full Version : fbx importing - from blender

vonpietro
02-08-2015, 02:08 PM
I outputed a fbx format item from blender. (also tried 3ds)

modeler will not import.

is there something special i have to do to get modeler to import an fbx file.

thanks

also - anyone know how to get the images out of blender? WHne i exported the fbx/3ds file - i just got a file, no images.

not for nothing, but why doesn't lightwave have better importing of various formats?

Pensart
02-08-2015, 03:33 PM
For exchanging objects with or without textures i use .obj export. to export a scene with animation data i use fbx. You can import fbx in layout. Obj can be imported in layout or modeler using the usual load object command.

vonpietro
02-08-2015, 04:03 PM
I'M getting- unkown scene file when i try to import using fbx importer in lightwave. (i export fbx file directly from blender) Also none of the textures are showing up.

Thanks for the heads up on that i would never have thought to look in layout for the import fbx.

Vong
02-08-2015, 04:12 PM
First off, what version of LW and Blender are you running? Shouldn't matter much, but might still come into play.

For getting textures out of Blender in FBX, in the FBX Export settings (left hand side at the bottom) make sure you are changing Path Mode: to COPY and then checking Embed Textures.

I just exported an FBX from Blender 2.73a using the settings above and imported it into LW 2015.1 Layout on a Mac just fine.

EDIT : I just imported the same FBX into Modeler 2015.1 (just open the FBX, no actual import) and it came in with the textures as well.

vonpietro
02-08-2015, 07:23 PM
ok - blender 2.73 lightwave 11.6.2
i'm checking .

ok there is a bunch of settings - fbx 7.4 binary is default.
ok - it was set on auto and i set it to copy and embed textures.

nope - still unkown file

one is the original blender file - the other is what blender spit out and lw can't read in layout.
if your lightwave can read this, then something is wrong with my importer.
here are the files.126951--fbx
126952-blender

Vong
02-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Ok, so you can't export Cycles node materials in FBX and have them show up. FBX will attempt to keep the material naming and LW will attempt to import that as a surface name, so that you can try to match things up.

As for why you keep getting 'unknown file', I have no clue. Maybe something is borked in your 11.6.2 install. I imported the FBX you provided into both 11.6.3 and 2015.1 and they came in fine, no errors.

So, I took the blend file you provided, went in and cleaned up some of the object names, re-exported as an FBX and brought that into 11.6.3, saved everything out as native LW files (which happens on import anyway, but I made sure to save to a new directory, just in case).

You should be able to load this into 11.6.2 just fine.

vonpietro
02-08-2015, 09:20 PM
ok, its probably something with the install.
my dope editor wont pop up either.

ok thanks- i'll try reinstalling and see if that fixes the problem.
i have not upgraded to 11.6.3 yet, so i guess i should do it now.

JoePoe
02-08-2015, 10:56 PM
Just another layer of confirmation. Seems okay on my end. 11.6.3.

Surrealist.
02-09-2015, 01:23 AM
LightWave's best free Plugn! :)

I have used Blender and LW many times. Obj works OK and will bring in materials with textures applied. I have never done it with cycles materials and as mentioned above am pretty sure that is the reason materials and images would not come across. But if you set them up as BI it should be fine. Going fbx to layout is also good as it allows you maintain separate pieces, pivot point positions and so on. Obj if you just want on object that will get its default pivot at 0.0.0. Otherwise fbx works fine. As mentioned the fbx importer creates and scene and .lwo objects so that is also handy.

Additionally there is the issue of scale.

Both Blender and LightWave have one unit as 1Meter. So by default you are safe right there. But for some reason the fbx importer by default is set to 100. I am pretty sure this means 100%. Not a scale of 100. Just a heads up. Otherwise it could fool you.

This issue with scale is important, but it is very easy to convert on the fly if you know what each application uses as a default unit. When you say LightWave is using real-world units this is actually misleading and can lead to confusion. In LightWave just as in any application it allows you to define what 1 is when you enter that into a field. If it is set to 1 Meter it will give you 1 meter. If set to something else it gives you that. And it has the added advantage that it displays that in the field. But regardless of what you set this setting to, all the measurements will be the same. It does not change the concept of scale in LightWave, just the default input value. Grid size in layout and so on can be scaled to this same default value.

To quickly convert between applications you can assign an arbitrary number to what a unit is. And that arbitrary workable number is 1 Meter. So you can say that to all applications whatever they may do internally, 1 unit will be the universal 1 Meter.

Lets say we have a board room. And in it all the execs from all the applications will bring a unit. And when measured in the board room, those units all measure exactly 1 Meter. However some magic happens. When they go back to their office, the unit changes - like Alice in wonderland - to the measurements in their world. So one application has 1 Unit as 1 CM and then they go back and design an object to scale in the office that is 1 meter, it will be 100 units.

When they come back to the boardroom to present their 1 meter unit, it is 100 meters tall and - like Alice in Wonderland - expands beyond the bounds of the board room.

So someone has to design a converter before they go in to the boardroom to present their units.

One company has 1 unit as 1 CM, then that means to enter the boardroom the setting on the converter has to be set to .01 because a unit to them in their world is only 1CM making 1 Meter to them 100X as large as it is in the baord room.

So the conversion rates from a sampling of applications that I use are as follows:

Blender 1M Unit 1-1 (no conversion)
Maya 1CM Unit 100-1 (import from Maya at x.01 export to Maya at x100)
Softimage 10CM Unit (import from XSI at x.1 export to XSI at x10)
(I think 3D Max is the same as Maya)

The way to find this out is to simply consult the manual or forums for what a unit is in that application and do the conversion.

After you get passed all of the "it is what whatever you make it man..." you will arrive at what the actual internal unit is.

I have not tried this with C4D or Houdini but I am assuming it is the same.