PDA

View Full Version : Cache CPU Limit in preferences

Peter Palesh
12-01-2003, 05:15 PM
When I let the auto config run, it sets the DDR and VT-Edit Cache CPU Limit set to 7.2 GHz.
I don't believe this is anywhere close to where it should be (too high)...is it?
I am using a P4 2.8 800MHzF.S.B. /w HT on an Asus P4P800 mb.

Jim_C
12-01-2003, 05:44 PM
Auto config sets it way too high I believe.
Good rule of thumb is start with minus .2 from each proc.
So set yours to 4.8 to start.
If you have stuttering with green light , lowering it from there may help.

SBowie
12-01-2003, 05:55 PM
Hi Peter - say, that's a new unit for you isn't it? Congrats!

Anyhow, I've also noted some possibly 'over-optimistic' readings from the 800mHz FSB systems. That said, they clearly are 'perky', and I really haven't had an opportunity to see just where the limits really are ... so I can only suggest you do a little experimenting and let us know how it goes!

SBowie
12-01-2003, 05:57 PM
p.s. - Jim, I beleive Peter is referring to a single cpu system...

bradl
12-02-2003, 10:16 PM
I have had lots of green light issues with the last two patches. Used forcerender filter when needed to get me by. Finally, took sometime yesterday to play around with the settings. I found changing the main bus setting from No Limit to one of the slower settings (as has been suggested before) just made it worse. Setting the Cache CPU limit did seem to be the key. I set it really low and got rid of 90% of the optimistic green light problems but now I have to wait for the green light much longer and still get a false one now and again.

RayLarson
12-03-2003, 09:18 AM
I have had green light issues continually with VT3...I set my Prefs exactly the same as VT2 (which never gave me problems) and I still experience bogus green light issues and stuttering of video and audio on occasion on very basic timelines. With VT2....3 or 4 layers and complex timelines never gave me an issue but this has not been the case with VT3...hopefully it is a software thing and will get straightened out soon.

JReble
12-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Yes...hopefully...then we can all quit harpin on it. But until that time Newtek, you're gonna be hearin from us. This issue is still going strong and nary a peep about it from you guys yet. What's the dealio?

mgrusin
12-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Lowering the CPU cache limit definitely helped my should-be-but-isn't caching problems. But the caching operation seems to adversely affect my UI; while the green light is off the UI is extremely sluggish, to the point where dragging and dropping is problematic (in VT-Edit, you move a clip with the mouse, the screen doesn't change, and 5 seconds later the clip pops up somewhere you didn't want). Anyone else seeing this? I do have a slow system (single P4 2.4, Geforce 4).

It would be nice if the cache algorithm were more dynamic (if the system notices that it can't play something in RT, it should stop and cache it), but I suspect there would be responsiveness tradeoffs there too (you hit play and it sits for a few seconds before playing - who needs that?). It's lonely out here on the bleeding edge. :D

-MG.